Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2021 9:19:22 PM EDT
I need some opinions to help me decide what I should do here.

I want a lightweight, accurate, reliable, rifle chambered in 308. This rifle will always be suppressed - so before anyone asks "why not a LMT or KAC" - that's mostly why. Money is NOT a factor with this rifle so none of that matters.

My use-case would be a rifle that I can run drills with - shoot reliably at the range - longest distance is probably 600 yards. I want a weapon I can rely on for a long long time.

I am a huge fan of FN and LWRC - I have a FNX 45T and a LWRC SMG 45 - I love both.

Here is how I would build each rifle:

SCAR 17s - 14.5" pinned and weld barrel with Rugged Radiant suppressor - extended foregrip - Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10 - etc. Approx weight would be 160oz (10 lbs)

LWRC REPR MK2  - 16" Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel with a Rugged Radiant suppressor - hand stop - Magpul ACS-L Stock - Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10 - Approx weight would be 175oz (10.935 lbs)

It seems the REPR will likely be heavier, longer, and more accurate. The SCAR will be lighter, smaller (foldable stock), okay accuracy - but not as good, and the god awful reciprocating charging handle.

Most people have 0 experience with the REPR MK2 so its hard to get feedback, but anything helps. I keep looking over everything on paper, but to get outside opinions may help a ton.

I appreciate anyone who takes time out of their day to comment!
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
No comment on the LWRC.  No experience.

SCAR's have an exposed reciprocating bolt handle; do they not?

I would not (ever) want a rifle with an exposed reciprocating bolt handle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have experience with the first gen REPR and it was a very good rifle.  Very accurate and capable DMR or SASR platform.  While I have no time on the Mk2, I can tell you that it’s ready to go out of the box.  You won’t need to do much to it, if at all unless you want minor cosmetic changes.  Changing the barrel right away would be ill-advised since you won’t have any baseline with the capabilities of the stock barrel.  
In contrast, the SCAR has a garbage trigger, flimsy stock and insufficient handguard.  All of which need replacing, along with other components, which means you’ll be dropping another $1k on the SCAR just to get it up to snuff, and that’s before you put on a new barrel.  At that point you’ve spent SCAR 20 money plus some, so at that point just go buy a SCAR 20.  

There are other piston .308s like the Barrett REC10, POF Revolution or the Sig 716 G2 DMR that are also known as serious performers with accuracy.  I have experience with the Sig 716 G2 DMR and it’s an insanely accurate rifle that isn’t going to break the bank with relation to piston .308s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
SCAR has amazing accuracy.... mine will do 1MOA all day long and it could probably do better with a higher magnification optic and better shooter than I.  I am a good shooter but by no means am I a precision shooter but I do try.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
SCAR has amazing accuracy.... mine will do 1MOA all day long and it could probably do better with a higher magnification optic and better shooter than I.  I am a good shooter but by no means am I a precision shooter but I do try.
View Quote

Money...meet mouth...

MOA All Day Thread

OP...get an LMT MWS with an MLOK upper and LW barrel or find a KAC SR-25 ACC. They’re both exactly what you say you want.  The LMT will do everything you want and then some with a 30 second barrel swap too. The SCAR-17 isn’t going to provide the accuracy you claim to be looking for, and the SCAR-20 is too heavy for your criteria.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
LMT's are VERY picky about suppressors and very often lose their accuracy when suppressed. Being that this weapon will be suppressed full time, the LMT is out. Similar to the LMT, the KAC SR25 doesn't have a gas block to adjust for a suppressor, so it gets very dirty, very fast, while putting extra gas in your face. That eliminates the KAC.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:57:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jonu321:
LMT's are VERY picky about suppressors and very often lose their accuracy when suppressed. Being that this weapon will be suppressed full time, the LMT is out. Similar to the LMT, the KAC SR25 doesn't have a gas block to adjust for a suppressor, so it gets very dirty, very fast, while putting extra gas in your face. That eliminates the KAC.
View Quote

I know a couple guys that run SR25's suppressed all the time including PRS matches to good effect and if I had to buy a large frame to trust my life on that's probably where I would go. I always liked the REPR guns I played with but they were too heavy and expensive for me. Looks like the MK2 is a bit lighter. Of the two you listed I like the SCAR but I think it's a tossup so just get whichever has more of the features you want.

If you're max range is going to be 600 just about any of the good guns will do what you want.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jonu321:
View Quote

I suggest doing some research. An adjustable gas block is not necessary with a properly built rifle, and symmetrical baffle suppressors don’t make rifles less accurate unless the muzzle threads are improperly cut or you’re using a QD suppressor mount system with poor lockup. I won’t carry water for KAC or LMT, but you’re getting some bad info and overlooking two excellent options because of it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Copy that. I will go back, do some more research and reconsider.  Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top