Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2020 12:16:57 PM EDT
Guys,

I was curious if anyone is running the SF MB762SSAL/RE on their LMT MWS?

I have the 16'' CL barrel, it has a dead air brake on it from the previous owner. Since I don't have a dead air can, I'm looking for a "better" brake. Better as in looks and performance.

I don't have any cans but if I did, it would be SF. Also, I just want to make it looks cool. I think this brake would give it a unique look, I like how the sleeve/bottom on the brake covers up some barrel, it just looks nice to have the thick device/ ports starting right after the handguard instead of a skinny barrel.

Questions:

1. Does it cover 2.75'' inches of the barrel? The length of the brake is 4.19'' total, so if 2.75'' of the brake is over the barrel, it would only extend 1.44 inches past the muzzle? I want to make sure I understand correctly, if the brake extends 4.19'' from the muzzle, Ill get an LMT 13.5 barrel but if the brake only adds 1.44'', Ill stick with my 16'' barrel. 17.44'' overall length is nice.

2. Performance. I have read tons of brake reviews, the top model these days is said to be super loud and annoying, I don't want that. If this brake is middle of the road performance but not extreme blast and concussion I would rather have that.

p.s. I have seen these brakes on MWS's on the pic thread, was hoping some owners may see this post. Thanks!

Love always,

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By splbass17:
Guys,

I was curious if anyone is running the SF MB762SSAL/RE on their LMT MWS?

I have the 16'' CL barrel, it has a dead air brake on it from the previous owner. Since I don't have a dead air can, I'm looking for a "better" brake. Better as in looks and performance.

I don't have any cans but if I did, it would be SF. Also, I just want to make it looks cool. I think this brake would give it a unique look, I like how the sleeve/bottom on the brake covers up some barrel, it just looks nice to have the thick device/ ports starting right after the handguard instead of a skinny barrel.

Questions:

1. Does it cover 2.75'' inches of the barrel? The length of the brake is 4.19'' total, so if 2.75'' of the brake is over the barrel, it would only extend 1.44 inches past the muzzle? I want to make sure I understand correctly, if the brake extends 4.19'' from the muzzle, Ill get an LMT 13.5 barrel but if the brake only adds 1.44'', Ill stick with my 16'' barrel. 17.44'' overall length is nice.

2. Performance. I have read tons of brake reviews, the top model these days is said to be super loud and annoying, I don't want that. If this brake is middle of the road performance but not extreme blast and concussion I would rather have that.

p.s. I have seen these brakes on MWS's on the pic thread, was hoping some owners may see this post. Thanks!

Love always,

Kevin
View Quote

1.  I think I looked into that brake and from what I recall, I think that the barrel needs to be turned down to fit over the barrel but you would have to get the inner diameter of the brake sleeve and the diameter of the barrel.

If it's just for looks just send it in to a competent gun Smith and have him mount it to your specs.

2.  2 port brakes are 2 port brakes.  No real difference.

If you want a brake it's going to be concussive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:10:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: splbass17] [#2]
Roger that man. I was reading that some brakes are a lot worse than others. For example, the dead air brake that came with my rifle, I didn't notice it being any louder or more pressure than my 14 inch 5.56 URGI which has a 4 prong (this is my first AR10 and .308). It was actually less conclusive than my 10.3 5.56 URGI, which leads me to think maybe these brakes vary greatly depending on the angle of the port (when comparing brakes w/ same # of ports). Honestly I didn't think about the number of ports from the get-go (you mentioned 2), which gives me another good reading/research point, I would like to learn about all the variations.

I read that you only have to turn down the barrel if its the old style LMT barrel, the new style has a "step down" after the gas block and are good to go. Im going to call LMT tomorrow to confirm but I checked and my barrel should be good. I am pretty set on this model just bc it looks so sexy. I'm not a serious shooter so as long as my stuff is quality, looks are important for me (same reason I take my testosterone shots haha).
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By splbass17:
Roger that man. I was reading that some brakes are a lot worse than others. For example, the dead air brake that came with my rifle, I didn't notice it being any louder or more pressure than my 14 inch 5.56 URGI which has a 4 prong (this is my first AR10 and .308). It was actually less conclusive than my 10.3 5.56 URGI, which leads me to think maybe these brakes vary greatly depending on the angle of the port (when comparing brakes w/ same # of ports). Honestly I didn't think about the number of ports from the get-go (you mentioned 2), which gives me another good reading/research point, I would like to learn about all the variations.

I read that you only have to turn down the barrel if its the old style LMT barrel, the new style has a "step down" after the gas block and are good to go. Im going to call LMT tomorrow to confirm but I checked and my barrel should be good. I am pretty set on this model just bc it looks so sexy. I'm not a serious shooter so as long as my stuff is quality, looks are important for me (same reason I take my testosterone shots haha).
View Quote

Cool,

Just don't get too wrapped up in the research, obviously it can help inform a purchase but at the end of the day, similar items are going to preform similar, especially in regards to quality products,  its almost like modern trucks,  there is so much competition out there that its really hard to get a bad product these days.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top