Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2018 9:42:04 AM EDT
RCBS claims the uniformer is set at the factory.

Mine must've been made on a Friday afternoon.

Had about 60 rounds of neck turned, annealed, doted on Hornady brass.  Decided to try the new pocket uniforming tool.

Beautiful day at the range yesterday.  Lots of "click", but no boom.  Pockets were cut too deep and had some strange issues like a delayed fire (i.e. click...boom).  Decided to pack it up and go back home.

Got home and see that this does happen from time to time.  Some folks (a buddy of mine) have had no trouble with theirs, mine on the other hand was defective.

Gonna take it back to the store and let them know.  I think I'm done uniforming primer pockets.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:18:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
I use a Wilson uniformer.

This tool will burnish the sides of pockets that are tight, increasing the diameter enough that primers are noticeably easier to seat.

I'm not crazy about that outcome, but it could be an improvement if the primers don't need as much force to seat.  I have not seen a need to reduce charge weights to prevent leaks.

I never trust a factory pre set, there is no way it could be right except for a specific batch of cases.
View Quote
It's the one of those times I blame myself and not the tool really.

I'd even asked myself how a uniforming tool set from the factory could possibly be ideal on all brass.

The RCBS tool can't be made shorter, only longer.  Knowing this, I used it anyway.

Consolation is, I guess, that this brass had 5 firings on it and it was Hornady (not Nosler or Lapua).

I had about 5 primers fail to detonate within the first 20 rounds fired.  Primer strike was there, just a hair shallow.

The hangfire spooked me and I started packing the rangebag.

ETA: the primers that did fire all tried to back out a bit.  Seated below flush, but were flush after firing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rob78:

Had about 60 rounds of neck turned, annealed, doted on Hornady brass.  Decided to try the new pocket uniforming tool.

Beautiful day at the range yesterday.  Lots of "click", but no boom.  Pockets were cut too deep and had some strange issues like a delayed fire (i.e. click...boom).  Decided to pack it up and go back home.

Got home and see that this does happen from time to time.  Some folks (a buddy of mine) have had no trouble with theirs, mine on the other hand was defective.

Gonna take it back to the store and let them know.  I think I'm done uniforming primer pockets.
View Quote
I don't like adjustable primer pocket cleaners, I had the same problem with the 300 G&A wild cat (404 Jeffery's necked down to.30) .300 Rem Ultra mag now.
I had uniformed the pockets to factory spec. The pocket was at max SAMI spec and the primers were min thickness spec.
I was getting the click....Boom effect.
You might be able to try some different brands of primer to find a thicker one
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hk9403006:
I don't like adjustable primer pocket cleaners, I had the same problem with the 300 G&A wild cat (404 Jeffery's necked down to.30) .300 Rem Ultra mag now.
I had uniformed the pockets to factory spec. The pocket was at max SAMI spec and the primers were min thickness spec.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hk9403006:

Yeah, I'm using fed 210m and they're a little thin skinned.

I think I'll hold off on uniforming with a cutter until I run into issues with priming the cases.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You used the tool.  Your issue is with RCBS directly.  Not the vendor, what are they going to do with a used tool?  Call RCBS and discuss the issue with them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
You used the tool.  Your issue is with RCBS directly.  Not the vendor, what are they going to do with a used tool?  Call RCBS and discuss the issue with them.
View Quote
I agree completely.  Which is exactly why I didn't ask for a refund.

I know the guys that work there and own the place.  It's $25 and I'm not worried about that.  They should know because other clientele may be the type to have a meltdown.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#8]
How deep is the pocket cut with the tool? Is it a large or small pocket uniformer?

I have both the large and small RCBS pocket uniformers and haven't had any issues with over cutting the pocket depth. No issues igniting either large or small primers with AR rifles so far. I'm using WSR & WLR mostly, but also some CCI.

Found putting a little WD40 on the tool with a q-tip each time made the tool run smoother and prevents galling the sides of the pockets. Primers have been tight with Win/CCI.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
How deep is the pocket cut with the tool? Is it a large or small pocket uniformer?

I have both the large and small RCBS pocket uniformers and haven't had any issues with over cutting the pocket depth. No issues igniting either large or small primers with AR rifles so far. I'm using WSR & WLR mostly, but also some CCI.

Found putting a little WD40 on the tool with a q-tip each time made the tool run smoother and prevents galling the sides of the pockets. Primers have been tight with Win/CCI.
View Quote
Large pocket primer. Little embarrassed I didn't get measurements.  I just saw the results and tossed the brass.

Problem occurred in MPA bolt rifle, 6.5CM.  Hornady brass, 5x fired.  I will say that as I was using it, I was surprised by the amount of brass removal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, i also noticed it was cutting material on every case so I measured and checked against SAMMI spec when I did 500+ LC 308 cases.

I figured they had to cut some metal otherwise pocket depth would be different in some cases. That would negate the reason to use the tool.

My large uniformer measures 0.140" from shoulder to the end of the cutters.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, i also noticed it was cutting material on every case so I measured and checked against SAMMI spec when I did 500+ LC 308 cases.

I figured they had to cut some metal otherwise pocket depth would be different in some cases. That would negate the reason to use the tool.

My large uniformer measures 0.140" from shoulder to the end of the cutters.
View Quote
My brother bought a K&M uniformer.  It's set from the factory at .131".

I've got some older brass I'll try it out on an see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]

My brother bought a K&M uniformer.  It's set from the factory at .131".

I've got some older brass I'll try it out on an see what happens.
View Quote
I found this...I just checked my large rifle, RCBS .131"....Never had an issue with it..

Here are the SAAMI Specs. for the following primer pockets.

Small Rifle/Small Pistol .118" to .122".
Large Rifle .128" to .132".
Large Pistol .118" to .122".
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

I found this...I just checked my large rifle, RCBS .131"....Never had an issue with it..

Here are the SAAMI Specs. for the following primer pockets.

Small Rifle/Small Pistol .118" to .122".
Large Rifle .128" to .132".
Large Pistol .118" to .122".
View Quote
I need to measure the RCBS tool.

a few folks have had problems, many haven't.  I just happen to have one thats off.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]

I need to measure the RCBS tool.

a few folks have had problems, many haven't.  I just happen to have one thats off.
View Quote
Yeah, that sucks...I hate ruining serviceable brass.....
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#15]
My RCBS primer tool measured .140"

The K&M measured .131"

Primers seated in K&M uniformed brass were noticeably shallower than with my RCBS.  Yeah, I know it's only .009" but there's a noticeable difference.  Same primers from same box were used.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#16]
Hmmm... I've only shot the uniformed brass through a Def10 and they fired without issue. Haven't tried with the Rem700 yet. I might have an issue too without realizing it.

Primed LC cases (RCBS uniformed) with a primer in are 0.009 - 0.011" below the base. I fully prepped and primed over 500 cases and checked about 12 of them for those measurements.

Measured 14 Remington 6.8 cases and the pocket depth to the inside edge is 0.134" +/- 0.001. The RCBS uniformer will not cut material on any of these cases.

Measure about 10 LC 308 pockets after the tool was used and have 0.134-5"
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm... I've only shot the uniformed brass through a Def10 and they fired without issue. Haven't tried with the Rem700 yet. I might have an issue too without realizing it.

Primed LC cases (RCBS uniformed) with a primer in are 0.009 - 0.011" below the base. I fully prepped and primed over 500 cases and checked about 12 of them for those measurements.

Measured 14 Remington 6.8 cases and the pocket depth to the inside edge is 0.134" +/- 0.001. The RCBS uniformer will not cut material on any of these cases.

Measure about 10 LC 308 pockets after the tool was used and have 0.134-5"
View Quote
I think you'd know it.  I could tell pretty quickly that there was a problem when I'd eject a case.  A couple of hangfires, primers backing out, etc are hard to miss.  I'm a dumbass for not taking pictures, but I was a little pissed when I tossed them in the trash.

Did let the shop know I had a problem.  Nobody else has reported an issue.  I've seen a few reports on the internet similar to mine, but it's only a handful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top