Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2018 9:49:36 AM EDT
I'm looking for an optic for my Creedmoor and have narrowed it down to the Kahles K525i, Schmidt and Bender PM II 5-25, and Tangent Theta 5-25.

Not taking into consideration cost, which would be the better optic for my use, which will primarily be ringing steel out to 1k.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If you need a wide FOV go with S&B.

I am very satisfied with the features on my K624i, but it has a narrow FOV compared to comparable scopes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Kahles has a better reticle than the others. That is what I would be looking at between the three.
View Quote
I love the looks of the SKMR3 reticle on the Kahles.  I've read reviews that say the Kahles does have a narrow FOV at 25x, but that it is optically superior to the S&B, and that the Tangent Theta blows them all away in regards to optical properties and turrets. It has also been stated that the Kahles has less tunneling at lower powers than the S&B.   I would like to look through a Tangent Theta to see what all the fuss is about, but no one locally carries them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I run Kahles so I'm a little biased as far as that goes, but I do really like their reticles.  All those scopes are high quality.  The TT is nice, but price and reticles are a turn off for me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's throw the NF ATACR F1 5-24x56, 7-35x56, S&B ultrashort 3-20, and the Minox ZP5 5-25 into the mix.

Is the Kahles K525i still top dog? Did they fix the issues with CA they had on the K624i line?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Better throw the Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56 in that mix too as it fits in that class.
View Quote
Way too heavy.  They look great though.

Is the ATACR glass as good as the Kahles?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like the ATACR F1 or K525i are not too shabby mechanically speaking.

I wonder what optical differences there are between the two?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to see a comparison between the Minox ZP5 5-25 and the Kahles 624i.
I've read many reports of the Minox having superior glass. All else, not sure. Currently own the K624i and the CA is annoying.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Scottyman:
I've read many reports of the Minox having superior glass. All else, not sure. Currently own the K624i and the CA is annoying.
View Quote
From what I've read, the K525i handles CA a lot better than the K624i.  I'm trying to find one locally to look through before plunking down $3k plus for it.

I've heard the Minox has superior glass to just about anything, except for the TT.  There are reports of broken Minox's over on sniper's hide though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no comparison really.  The TT is the best scope out there you can buy.  Optically it's better.  The turrets are the best in the industry.  The new reticle is now available.  I finally ordered myself one and i'm hoping it will be here by Christmas.  Picked one up from CS Tactical for $4300 shipped.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By taulce02:
There is no comparison really.  The TT is the best scope out there you can buy.  Optically it's better.  The turrets are the best in the industry.  The new reticle is now available.  I finally ordered myself one and i'm hoping it will be here by Christmas.  Picked one up from CS Tactical for $4300 shipped.
View Quote
Let me know what you think once you get it.

I found a NIB Minox ZP5 with MR4 reticle for $2600.  Hope to have it in a week or so.  It seems that most people who buy one end up with multiples, so that speaks volumes.  I need a couple more precision optics, so I'm interested to hear what you think about the TT.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By molar:

Let me know what you think once you get it.

I found a NIB Minox ZP5 with MR4 reticle for $2600.  Hope to have it in a week or so.  It seems that most people who buy one end up with multiples, so that speaks volumes.  I need a couple more precision optics, so I'm interested to hear what you think about the TT.
View Quote
It will be a while before I get it.  I was told it might take a month or so to clear out the preorders.  I got a late start.  Once I get some trigger time on it, i'll post back.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#18]
From what I've read, the K525i handles CA a lot better than the K624i.  I'm trying to find one locally to look through before plunking down $3k plus for it.

I've heard the Minox has superior glass to just about anything, except for the TT.  There are reports of broken Minox's over on sniper's hide though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What is “CA”?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Chromatic Aberation....the bluish/purple coloration you can see on the edge of objects. Particularly noticeable on light colored objects.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:09:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FourT6and2] [#20]
I've used them all. I went with TT. Forgetting cost, it's got the best glass, the best turrets, the easiest parallax adjustment, the easiest zero stop function, it doesn't tunnel, it has non-translating turrets, and something most never pay attention to... it has a constant eye relief regardless of zoom setting. Some scopes' eye relief changes slightly as you change the zoom setting. That means you have to move your head and adjust cheek weld if you go from say, 10x to 25x. Not with the TT. One eye relief. No moving your head.

I have no problem with the reticle. The new one looks nice though.

I really want to like the Kahles but I don't. Same with Nightforce. Had the K624i and the Nightforce 7-35x and S&B 5-25x PMII. Sent them all back and went with TT.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:12:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: molar] [#21]
Originally Posted By FourT6and2:
I've used them all. I went with TT. Forgetting cost, it's got the best glass, the best turrets, the easiest parallax adjustment, the easiest zero stop function, it doesn't tunnel, it has non-translating turrets, and something most never pay attention to... it has a constant eye relief regardless of zoom setting. Some scopes' eye relief changes slightly as you change the zoom setting. That means you have to move your head and adjust cheek weld if you go from say, 10x to 25x. Not with the TT. One eye relief. No moving your head.

I have no problem with the reticle. The new one looks nice though.

I really want to like the Kahles but I don't. Same with Nightforce. Had the K624i and the Nightforce 7-35x and S&B 5-25x PMII. Sent them all back and went with TT.
View Quote
The Kahles has a CA problem, the S&B 5-25 tunnels, and NF glass has quite a bit of variation scope to scope from what I've seen.

My Minox ZP5 5-25x56 MR4 showed up a couple of days ago.  Optically speaking, I don't see how it can get any better than that.  The turrets are ok, but there is still resistance going through the second revolution, even with the updated turrets.  It doesn't bother me because there are 15 mils per revolution, so I won't dial past that anyway. The Minox doesn't tunnel and CA doesn't appear to be a problem.

I want to try a S&B 3-20 ultrashort on a grendel next
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#22]

The Kahles has a CA problem, the S&B 5-25 tunnels, and NF glass has quite a bit of variation scope to scope from what I've seen.

My Minox ZP5 5-25x56 MR4 showed up a couple of days ago.  Optically speaking, I don't see how it can get any better than that.  The turrets are ok, but there is still resistance going through the second revolution, even with the updated turrets.  It doesn't bother me because there are 15 mils per revolution, so I won't dial past that anyway. The Minox doesn't tunnel and CA doesn't appear to be a problem.

I want to try a S&B 3-20 ultrashort on a grendel next
View Quote
You bring up a good point about scope variation. I had a Nightforce F1 that I was just never impressed with, far worse than others I had seen.

My Kahles on the other hand has been amazing. Blew my S&B out of the water, although most people will say they prefer the S&B optically.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:34:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cheekibreeki] [#23]
Usually people just prefer the coatings. Few places on Earth are making the lenses used for various scope manufacturers. Glass in Nightforce ATACR is the same glass used in Vortex Razor HD II and others out of LOW Japan.

Basically what I'm saying is go after tracking quality, then reticle, and then glass quality. Lastly ask what would happen if your scope was broken out of negligence, or defect.

Played with Tangent Thetas before. Personally I don't see a justification to the cost over an S&B or ATACR.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Kahles has a better reticle than the others. That is what I would be looking at between the three.
View Quote
And wind up getting a Gen 2 Razor.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:02:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWDeity] [#25]
For what it’s worth, PRB has released their 2018 What the Pros use blogs through the month.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/

Razor G2 is well represented, but beaten in numbers by people running the two different Kahles scopes.

ETA - I am NOT a PRS shooter - but I like to follow the trends, and pick up used gear at the end of a season...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#26]
PM2
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I also own both of those optics along with a few others. Optically, mechanically and reticle the k525i is just better, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like you made your decision but you should read Ilya’s, ”dark lord of optics”, optics comparisons. You can find him on Snipers Hide. Best reviews hands down.
In my experience people will almost always justify why ”their” scopes are “the best”, so these types of questions are tough.  It’s human nature and hey different strokes for different folks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:08:21 AM EDT
[#29]
He’s probably one of the few guys who actually knows what he’s talking about. The problem with the hide is the amount of self proclaimed experts who are biased with the equipment they own and bad talk everything else.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#30]
What ever one is the cheapest and more range time.

Neither of choices are going to make or break you at 1k.  All are great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Barska.

/thread

You’re welcome.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mr_Toyz:
Sounds like you made your decision but you should read Ilya’s, ”dark lord of optics”, optics comparisons. You can find him on Snipers Hide. Best reviews hands down.
In my experience people will almost always justify why ”their” scopes are “the best”, so these types of questions are tough.  It’s human nature and hey different strokes for different folks!
View Quote
Thank You.

I am accumulating all of my impressions on fancy scope together and they will be on my website in the next couple of weeks.  A few videos are already up on youtube.

As far as the original question goes, optically, Kahles has some work to do.  Tangent, ZCO, S&B, March and Minox are a good step above.  Overall, I think Tangent is still the best, but ZCO is close and S&B is right there too.

It really comes down to what you are looking for.  I test a lot of scopes and honestly, with the top contenders the choice really comes down to personal preferences.  Once I am done sending all of the scopes I test back, the stuff goes back onto my rifles is usually Tangent Theta and March, depending on the specific gun, although I am very attached to my Vortex AMG as well.

I can use anything I want.  I am not limited in my scope choices in any way shape or form.  Those are the ones I seem to come back to.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Consider an ATACR 5-25 or a Minox ZP5
5-25 (mr4 reticle )

Owned a Kahles 624i with the AMR reticle, was a nice scope, didn't overly impress me.

I use my Minox ZP5 5-25 mr4 a lot and really like it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Way too heavy.  They look great though.

Is the ATACR glass as good as the Kahles?
View Quote
No it's not....

The Atacr glass is BETTER then the Kahles
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
CA was the reason I got rid of mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top