Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2018 1:44:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer]
The trigger arrived yesterday and I installed it today. I ordered the non-drop in version but it is also available in a drop in for those of you with less experience in timing triggers. The product comes with an instruction book and an instruction DVD. Between the two you'll be able to figure out the install but I strongly suggest you ignore the use of the red Loctite until you've had a chance to fine tune it out at the range. I got a phone call in the middle of the install and the red Loctite setup on me while I was on the phone. I had to remove the trigger and heat it up with a heat gun to get the adjusting screw out.

The kit comes with 2 hammer springs. One will give you about 4-4.5 lbs pull and the other 3-3.5 lbs pull. If you run military ammo then you need to use the heavier spring. I used the 3-3.5 spring.

After the install I put the lower on my 6.5 Grendel and took it out to the desert behind my house. I started with just one round to make sure that I got the timing right. I then ran two rounds, then three and finally I put it on the target and ran a full 10 round mag. I found my groups were much better than in the past and I'm sure the fact that its a single stage trigger with a roller was what made the difference. The break is very crisp and it breaks exactly when you expect it to.

This is not a combat trigger by any means so if you're competing in that arena this is not the trigger for you but if you're shooting in situations where you can see you're heartbeat in your reticle then yes, you will be able to time your shot to your heartbeat.

I give this trigger five stars!

If you decide to try one, don't forget that the non-drop in version requires above average skills and if you don't have those then get the drop in version.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I love JP triggers. I install them in all my ARs. The last one I did was actually pre-obama and still have 3 of those old triggers new in the box waiting for my next project. I’ve tried all the 2 stage, fancy drop in, Uber cool triggers and have yet to find anything I like better than the old fashioned, install and time yourself, JP speed triggers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sick1:
I love JP triggers. I install them in all my ARs. The last one I did was actually pre-obama and still have 3 of those old triggers new in the box waiting for my next project. I've tried all the 2 stage, fancy drop in, Uber cool triggers and have yet to find anything I like better than the old fashioned, install and time yourself, JP speed triggers.
View Quote
The only problem I see is that once you put a trigger like this on a rifle it personalizes it and requires a lot of extra caution. You never put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot but this takes that safety precaution to the next level. I have another rifle with a similar trigger (Elfman drop in) and I'm pretty much the only one I allow to handle it. My 6.5 is also a hunting rifle so I'll build another lower with a Geissele SSA-E in and swap to it when I'm hunting. I think I'll build two lowers for my .308 too.

The side benefit of having one of these triggers when on the bench at the range is that it will let you know quickly what the rifle is capable of and allow you to sort out your physical shooting deficiencies or ammo deficiencies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been using the Timney Calvin Elite in my Grendel.  Factory set at 1.5lbs
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Built a JP Enterprises rifle with one of their triggers back in 1998...

20 years that trigger has been running just fine with over 7k rounds.

You can set it up for a little more engagement of the sear surfaces for both the take up and over travel.   Still results in a very good trigger but not quite the "glass rod snapping" type of pull.    I wanted the extra little bit of engagement for durability.

I also run a JP Enterprises trigger in my AR10 which has been running just as long but not as many rounds.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
My JP single stage is my favorite trigger.

It takes a little time to get it set properly, but once done it is just right.  A couple of my buddies absolutely swear by their Timneys, but the Timney reset just feels like mush to me.

Triggers are very subjective, and everyone has their own preference.

For a drop in with absolutely no adjustment, I have a LaRue MBT that is great if you like a 2 stage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I just milled a 80% DPMS LR .308 lower and used the DPMS Kit with their trigger. I milled to the spec's that I had but when it came time to put the trigger in it would not break. It was pretty obvious that it was sitting nearly flat on the floor so I took another .030 off the floor and used some shim stock to get the timing just right. It actually breaks surprisingly crisp at 3.5 lbs. This is for a hunting rifle and I like a heavier pull for hunting because it gives me a little extra time to change my mind if I decide not to take the animal.

I was going to put a Geissele SSA in it but I think I might just keep it and see what it's like after it's broken in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top