Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2018 10:15:03 PM EDT
Built a precision 5.56 rifle and put a S&B PM II on it. I was sure I had it dialed in but then I thought about (probably over thought) it. So, I built a new bench top rifle work station with 4 leveling legs so I could precisely square the rifle before I put the barrel level on it. After double checking the rests I put the rifle in and leveled it up front to rear and side to side. I dropped my level on the scope's level spot and sure enough it was out. Not a lot but enough to make a difference at least in my head.

The point I'm trying make here is that when I shoot this rifle and can't hit crap then I know I really am just a bad shot and I can't blame the rifle. There's your humor for the day. There's a lot of truth in that though and I know a lot of folks are really frustrated with their rifle builds. If you take the time to really check and double check every aspect of the build and you still can't shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards then you know it's just practice that you need.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#1]

Three Holes at 100 yards after a short break in and minor scope adjustments.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I like seeing stuff like this, it's kinda the point of getting into precision shooting.  Any jerk can build a gun and go blasting it like a toy..which can be loads of fun for a very very short time.  But working through problems, identifying correct (and incorrect) solutions, and effectively implementing those solutions is--to me--the whole process.  And maybe to some extent that's the whole process of life...learning, growing, doing better.  Anyway stuff like this is good to see.

As an aside for anyone newish reading this, it's also important to make sure the scope is level when firing, meaning you're not holding the rifle at a cant.  There are picatinny bubble levels to accomplish this.  And I'm not telling this to OP, I know he knows. Just for anyone who reads in future in case it issnt obvious.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
As an aside for anyone newish reading this, it's also important to make sure the scope is level when firing, meaning you're not holding the rifle at a cant.  There are picatinny bubble levels to accomplish this.  And I'm not telling this to OP, I know he knows. Just for anyone who reads in future in case it issnt obvious.
View Quote
Thanks for the kind words..
I probably should have posted this pic.. Look close, there's the Wheeler rail mount level just behind the scope mount. And I 100 pct agree, they are mandatory if you're going to try to shoot to the maximum degree of accuracy that the rifle can provide. I know a lot of people think the level needs to be on the scope. However, if your rail is square to the barrel and your scope then you can mount it on the rail with the advantage of being able to check it without coming off target.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top