Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 12:18:17 PM EDT
I have a dillon and an RCBS and use the latter to load my creedmoor.  The dillon is fine for handgun and for a spare stage but I don't use a progressive for rifle anymore.

Recently, I've discovered the Forster and I'm sure there are a few others out there.  If I was to get another press to improve precision and consistency, is there the 'one'?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperDutyMikeMc] [#1]
Unless something is broken or out of spec with the press, it will not make any difference in terms of the quality/accuracy/consistency of your ammo.

From a mechanical standpoint, your dies and process controls really dictate how accurate your ammo is going to be. This is probably ~5% of the equation of making accurate ammo.

That said, your ability to make more accurate ammo primarily comes from your load development methodology; some dies will enable you to adjust certain aspects (neck tension), and some dies will make testing much easier (micrometer seaters).  This is probably 95% of the equation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
heres a comparison

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04/08/fourteen-reloading-presses-compared-single-stage-shootout/
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I use my Dillon 550s to load everything from 17 MachIV to 338 Lapua.  For a powder measure I use a Prometheus or a FX-120 auto-trickler.

Hitting 12-18 inch plates out past 2,000 yards isnt hard.

My Co-Ax and Sinclair arbor press pretty much just gather dust now days.

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hoser:
I use my Dillon 550s to load everything from 17 MachIV to 338 Lapua.  For a powder measure I use a Prometheus or a FX-120 auto-trickler.

Hitting 12-18 inch plates out past 2,000 yards isnt hard.

My Co-Ax and Sinclair arbor press pretty much just gather dust now days.

https://i.imgur.com/lu1cB9y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R40srkJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uoUIPaD.jpg
View Quote
Very sanitary!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm working on neck tension, dies, etc. right now...  Will hold on what I've got.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The biggest obstacle in any reloading operation is the reloader himself.
Even with basic tools a reloader can fashion very accurate ammo.
The reloader has to pay attention and have good habits.

To each their own of course.

Personally you will do find with a Redding T-7 or Forster Co-Ax for all kinds of operations
Use quality dies Redding or Forster.
If you want hand dies then Wilson is the a benchmark and either a Harrell's or K and M Arbor Press.

Top of the line powder handing of course is a necessity, do you need to go over the top?  Prometheus or Autotrickler perhaps.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont think your RCBS will be an issue when looking at reloading. More about operator than anything.

I'd put my money into dies and components, a fancy press wont do much extra unless you go to a turret vs a single stage (and leaving all dies set up).

I personally will be loading 308 on an RCBS Big Max A4. Probably overkill, but it's what I got and it works well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I agree that the operator is the biggest issue.  Right now I'm discovering and investing into a whole other level of reloading.  I'm rethinking my process and looking for ways to improve.  I've switched over to Redding dies and adding annealing to help create more consistency on neck tension and sizing the case.

As always, thanks for the information and feedback.  I'll report back (and likely ask more questions) as I come up with them!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Like the other guy above, I load all of my rifle ammo on a Dillon 550, and have had good results.  There are a few mods you can do to one to make it put out straighter ammo.  My ammo has never held me back, I can only blame my shooting.  ðŸ˜•
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as the press is tight, it will do fine. I size on an old rockchucker, do seating on a summit..both will do either just fine. Have taken my rounds out to 2000 yards with ease.  The guy pulling the lever has more to do with consistent, accurate ammo then any piece of equipment does...
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By erud:
Like the other guy above, I load all of my rifle ammo on a Dillon 550, and have had good results.  There are a few mods you can do to one to make it put out straighter ammo.  My ammo has never held me back, I can only blame my shooting.  ðŸ˜•
View Quote
As with all things related to reloading, the reloader is the biggest obstacle to success. Improving one's reloading process needs to be proven at the range.  Not hearsay from the internet forums and such. Then we have the skill and equipment of the shooter that comes into play.
There are many tips and accessories on the market.  Not sure I would invest in the Prometheus Scale, but surely the AutoTrickler and scale are about as good as you can get.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#12]
Buy Glen Zediker's book on reloading for accuracy. While his writing style takes a little getting used to and his OCD is off the charts, that book is filled with useful suggestions and reloading hacks.

Any quality cast iron press will work great. Using O-rings under your dies will help with alignment of the course threads.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe most presses can turn out as accurate of ammo as can be done.  There would be much more at stake with brass quality and preparation consistency, die quality, bullets, etc.  There is also the constant battle with the micrometer.  It takes a lot to get into the .001 consistency.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
1.  Prazipress (by Turban)
2.  Forster Co-Ax
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Ultimate Reloader did a press shootout last February. 14 Press Shootout

Out of the 14 presses he tested, I like the MEC Marksman and the RCBS Summit units and will more then likely buy one of them to replace my worn out press.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top