Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2019 12:35:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84]
I took some picture with my Chinese bore scope and the barrel seems normal to me, but I honestly have no idea what I’m looking that through the bore scope so I have come to the experts.

I have seen a very sharp downward trend in accuracy as of late.

If I had to guess the round count I would put it between 2500-3500 rounds, 1500 of those in the last six months.  It’s just a factory Remington 700 LTR barrel.

This is a picture of the throat with a fired case in the chamber
Attachment Attached File

The next picture is about a ¼” further up, you can’t see much rifling before this.
Attachment Attached File

Next is about 4”-5” into the barrel
Attachment Attached File

Lastly about halfway down
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 3:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh its got some wear, if a good cleaning, including getting the copper out of it doesn't improve the accuracy, yeah it might be time for a barrel, If you hand load you might check how much the lands have moved and push the bullet closer.....my rum barrel looks about the same, its got almost 850 rds thru it, but it is still sub Moa..I expect 1500 plus sub Moa rounds thru it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Regardless of what I saw on a borescope (I’m no metallurgist), the sharp decline in accuracy would have me replacing the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm impressed with your borescope, Do you have a link for it?

I didn't see you mention what cartridge your shooting. The round count is getting up there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#4]
All that throat "alligatoring" and visible cracking up further is exactly what "shot out" means, and you have the accuracy degradation too.  Now if you are really cheap and you have barrel to spare you could have it cut back and rethreaded and chambered, and typically have the crown touched up, but all that work ends up close to the cost of a new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
How's your accuracy? Do the bullets keyhole the target? I usually replace a barrel when my target looks like shit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#6]
The rifle is a 308.

The bore scope is the $45 teslong on amazon.  There is a thread about it on the first page of this forum.

Accuracy went from ¾ MOA to 1.5 MOA
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Well it sounds like a rebarrel is in order.  Now the question is do I blueprint the receiver?
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigtex84:
Well it sounds like a rebarrel is in order.  Now the question is do I blueprint the receiver?
View Quote
I would/did... why wouldn't you, the 700 receiver is still a damn good receiver and if you pick the right smith(I used Bartlein Barrels), you also get great options, chamber reamer used/twist rate/barrel length/contour/fluting/threading/HD lug...and the list goes on..and the price isn't bad..1050 for the barrel and all the machine work for Brian at Bartlein on my 700...only thing not included was shipping..
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

I would/did... why wouldn't you, the 700 receiver is still a damn good receiver and if you pick the right smith(I used Bartlein Barrels), you also get great options, chamber reamer used/twist rate/barrel length/contour/fluting/threading/HD lug...and the list goes on..and the price isn't bad..1050 for the barrel and all the machine work for Brian at Bartlein on my 700...only thing not included was shipping..
View Quote
I’m definitely going with a Bartlein barrel.  There is a local gunsmith scorehi.com that seems to be well regarded.  Prices seem fair as well.

Chamber reamers are something I haven’t considered.  It’s going to be 308 but I’m sure there are about 1000 different ways to cut a 308 chamber.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m definitely going with a Bartlein barrel.  There is a local gunsmith scorehi.com that seems to be well regarded.  Prices seem fair as well.

Chamber reamers are something I haven’t considered.  It’s going to be 308 but I’m sure there are about 1000 different ways to cut a 308 chamber.
View Quote
Charlie does awesome work.  He re-did a 700 and 40X for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Sinister:

Charlie does awesome work.  He re-did a 700 and 40X for me.
View Quote
That is great to hear.  I know another person here is doing a custom build with him as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I would expect 5000-10000 from a .308, but I guess you got one from a lemon steel batch. I dunno if that cracking will smooth out with TMS bullets. If a cleaning and minor adjustment of charge or length doesn't improve it, definitely done.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
2500-3500 rounds is just getting started for a .308. Cheap bore scopes are going to be a gunsmiths best friend. LOL Don't worry about looks but how it shoots. Run some TMS rounds through it if you want to smooth it as they do work. Follow the direction and put a couple through every 300 rounds or so and it will keep it smooth but again worry about performance on target and not what the barrel looks like inside.

But if getting it done Charlie does do very good work.
View Quote
That’s just it, my groups doubled in size in a very short period of time.  Then I bought the borescope just to see.  Like I said in the OP it really doesn’t look too bad to me.  I’ll check out the TMS rounds and see if I get an improvement.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree 308 should normally last up to 10k rounds and your rifling at 4”-5” into the barrel looks strong. Have you checked the torque on all screws to verify nothing has loosened up? That's too big of a degradation in accuracy for a barrel to just up and be shot out in a short time frame. IMHO, I have the same borescope and its great. But yeah it'll make things look worse than they are.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#17]
Interesting.  My Remington factory barrel was never very impressive (.75MOA on a good day) but it was consistent after 5000 rounds, when I just replaced it and rebuilt the rifle as a 6.5 creedmoor.

It copper fouled terribly.  The new Bartlein barrel is a joy to clean by comparison.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
@bigtex84.

Before you get it re barreled, look into having a smith pull the barrel, shave an inch off of the chamber end, re-thread the shank, and then re cut the chamber. Not sure what it would cost compared to a new barrel but back in the day that was what we did in your situation. The pics from further up the barrel don't look too terribly bad, and you may still have some life left in that tube.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

They still large after a good cleaning and refouling?

The TMS might help.
View Quote
Yeah groups remain around the 1.5” mark after cleaning then 20 fouling shots.

I doubt it makes much of a difference but the last 1500 rounds were all 190gr SMK loaded at or slightly over published max.

The throat is super long if I load them at 2.800 the jump is around 0.200 to the lands.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Yeah groups remain around the 1.5” mark after cleaning then 20 fouling shots.

I doubt it makes much of a difference but the last 1500 rounds were all 190gr SMK loaded at or slightly over published max.

The throat is super long if I load them at 2.800 the jump is around 0.200 to the lands.
View Quote
Did this rifle ever see very fast and long strings of fire? that will cut barrel life drastically shorter then one that is slow fired and allowed to cool often... Also, while it means single feeding, you might try loading out to .005" to .010" off the lands and see if accuracy tightens up, that normally will help groups quite a bit...
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I typically shoot 0.10-0.20 off the lands so I single feed.

I would say it’s seen some long strings of fire and the barrel has gotten pretty toasty.

I could be off on the round count as I’m it’s second owner.  If you only had the bore scope pictures and no other information what would you put the round count at?

Since Christmas is coming up and my wife has no idea what to get me a trip to the gunsmith for a new barrel is probably going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn’t put too much weight into those borescore pictures. I’ve had barrel look far worse than that still shoot. However if you’ve lost that much accuracy, it’s time to rebarrel. You will end up wasting more time and ammo than it’s worth trying to preserve a factory barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Those are some great pictures, can you share what brand, model borescope you are using.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:00:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#26]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
Those are some great pictures, can you share what brand, model borescope you are using.
View Quote
Amazon Product
  • ?Designed for All Caliber Barrel Inspection?With 1cm short focal length camera and detachable side-view mirror, you can inspect for barrel cleanliness, throat erosion, tool marks, rifling wear, chamber damage and fouling
  • ?Ultra Slim Diameter?Our slender 0.2 inch diameter camera allows for easy entry into rifle barrels as small as .20 caliber, and all larger caliber barrels as well
  • ?Easy To Use?In order to allow a complete inspection of any barrel, we have extended the cable length to 40 inches. You do not need to switch from barrel to muzzle to fully inspect bore

Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't cut a factory Remington barrel and set it back. I don't think your going to go wrong with a Bartlin barrel. The main thing is to have your bullet load picked then have your lands set for the decided jump. I think you've got uneven wear causing your bullet to be off center when it contacts the lands. You could hand lap the lands with JB bore paste and a drill but that's a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#29]
Thank you everyone for all the great advice.  I have never had a custom barrel made so I am not sure what choices I will have to make.  It’s just truly a bench gun so I’m thinking 24” barrel MTU profile.  No idea on the different types of 308 chambers and how long the throat should be.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:51:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#30]
Thank you everyone for all the great advice.  I have never had a custom barrel made so I am not sure what choices I will have to make.  It’s just truly a bench gun so I’m thinking 24” barrel MTU profile.  No idea on the different types of 308 chambers and how long the throat should be.
View Quote
Call Bartlein and ask them..they will want to know what you plan on using it for, what you want to chamber for and what profile/length /chamber would be best for it... pretty simple, they are extremely knowledgable and even if you don't use them, they are happy to help you get an idea what you need.. You need to know what cartridge you want, since if you barrel you can change to anything that will fit the bolt face and the action length.... what bullet/s you want to concentrate on loading for game/distance/targets..., what your main use of the rifle is..light packer, heavy bench, or all out long range banger......they can help figure out chamber, contour, length, and twist rate to meet your needs..the cool part..you are getting the best shit made versus mass produced good enough shooters....
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:24:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#32]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Call Bartlein and ask them..they will want to know what you plan on using it for, what you want to chamber for and what profile/length /chamber would be best for it... pretty simple, they are extremely knowledgable and even if you don't use them, they are happy to help you get an idea what you need.. You need to know what cartridge you want, since if you barrel you can change to anything that will fit the bolt face and the action length.... what bullet/s you want to concentrate on loading for game/distance/targets..., what your main use of the rifle is..light packer, heavy bench, or all out long range banger......they can help figure out chamber, contour, length, and twist rate to meet your needs..the cool part..you are getting the best shit made versus mass produced good enough shooters....
View Quote
It definitely going to stay as a 308 since I have around 2K Sierra match kings left.

I’m probably not going to stick to one load in particular.  I love reloading as much as shooting and the experimentation that comes with it.

But it’s going to be a 100% bench gun so weight is irrelevant.  I will probably shoot out to 750yds once a month but mainly inside of 300yds twice a week.  I have been averaging 100-200/wk so I’m glad to hear a new barrel should last 6000rds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Just make sure the barrel will fit your stock
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JNic:
Just make sure the barrel will fit your stock
View Quote
Worst case the stock can be opened up
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#35]
It will definitely need to be opened up, it’s a Grayboe Ridgeback.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Barrels are cheap.  Time, range time, loading time, cleaning time...that's expensive as it is finite.

When in doubt...just rebarrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top