Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2020 6:34:34 PM EDT
I am really behind most the newer rifle calibers. I always had it in my head .270 Winchester was one of the flattest shooting rifle calibers and was a good all purpose round.  I was talking to my father about getting something in .270 when he scoffed at me and started talking about the newer 6.5 rounds like Grendel and Creedmor. I haven't even really looked into them to be honest, frankly it feels weird to be this far behind on things. Used to be vise versa when I was younger, my father wouldn't be in the know on the newest stuff and I would be. I guess I'm getting old and he has all the time in the world now that he's been retired for about a decade. So should I look into the newer calibers? I checked the price of .270 and it does seem pretty high compared to the newer calibers at least... but at the same time a lot of these new calibers are basically dead in a decade or so, I don't want to buy something that ten years from now will cost $45 for a box of 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
270 is an extraordinarily good, time tested, and versatile round. There's a reason it has been with us for as long as it has.

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Why .270 is better than 6.5 Grendel and Creedmoor! (I traded my rifle!)

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/25-06-vs-6-5-creedmoor-vs-270/

So.e useful information.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
270 Win is a highly respected member of the .30-06 (long action) family of cartridges (LINK).  You can think of them at the big brothers of the .308 (short action) family of cartridges (LINK).

Whenever selecting a cartridge, consider your application and which cartridge is best suited to the application.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like the cartridge, use it OP..Most of these new cartridges are nothing more then a fad when it comes to real world on the target/animal performance when directly compared to existing cartridges that have been around for years...meaning while sure they may have an optimized shoulder angle, a case length optimized for an actions length/bullet profile, the benefits are minuscule and easily of zero benefit unless both cartridges are pushed right to the cases limit...Do you really think 50-100 fps is going to make all the difference in the world in hitting that X ring 20/20 or dropping that buck in its tracks at 117 yards? I would be far more concerned on buying a cartridge with good to great brass readily available, with a large selection of quality bullets that will meet my needs at an affordable price, versus the latest greatest fad case that may not even stay in production for 10 years from the original maker, let alone be produced by other brass producers...
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Will. Never. Die.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My .270 that I built on a Savage action is one of my favorite rifles. I run a 130 gr. Hornady Interlock over 60 grains of H4831. It runs right at 3100 fps and is like a laser beam out to 300 yards. Texas whitetail are DRT. You can do a lot worse.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have hunted with success with all three.  My choice between them is the 300 PRC w/212 ELD-X.  A hammer for any nail.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
NO. LOL

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I could make do with a quality .270 bolt gun for any big game in the lower 48 for the rest of my life easily.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KTM300XCW] [#10]
I told you above how much I like my .270 and I do. But now I'm going to recommend another round for consideration that I'm sure many will disagree. If you aren't looking at taking game at distances beyond 500 yards or hunting large dangerous game, then I would also consider the .308 Winchester. You can find ammo everywhere, surplus ammo is plentiful for plinking, you can get it in a bolt action or AR10 platform, there are many excellent hunting and match rounds, can utilize its power in a shorter barrel and it has less recoil than a .270. Below is my latest build in .308 (7.62×51). It is a joy to shoot, is accurate and is a great modern hunting rifle. Just some food for thought.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KTM300XCW:
I told you above how much I like my .270 and I do. But now I'm going to recommend another round for consideration that I'm sure many will disagree. If you aren't looking at taking game at distances beyond 500 yards or hunting large dangerous game, then I would also consider the .308 Winchester. You can find ammo everywhere, surplus ammo is plentiful for plinking, you can get it in a bolt action or AR10 platform, there are many excellent hunting and match rounds, can utilize its power in a shorter barrel and it has less recoil than a .270. Below is my latest build in .308 (7.62×51). It is a joy to shoot, is accurate and is a great modern hunting rifle. Just some food for thought.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241166/IMG_20200515_202017_117_jpg-1472903.JPG
View Quote

I wouldn't mind an AR-10 clone
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been looking at some various calibers and cartridges recently. Creedmoor and grendel have been around for a while. Creedmoor is not going anywhere. It will be here for decades. Grendel has some stiff competition but seems to be holding its own against 6.8 spc and  300 blk. 270, 3006, 243 and 3006 aren't going anywhere. And of the Winchester and Remington short mags....the only winners seem to be 270 wsm and 300 wsm.

I really started to look at the comparison between 270 and 280 remington, trying to figure out if one was better than the other.

Anyway...270 is here to stay. There are some really good high bc bullets that were available a few years ago that really squeeze performance out of these old cartridges....like the hornady eld bullets.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#13]
It's not going anywhere. If I was buying a gun today to hunting hunt deer and antelope with off the shelf ammo I'd be buying a 270. It's so close to my 280 AI I'd hardly notice a difference.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:51:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#14]
When it comes to hunting rounds, “obsolete” is not really an accurate term.

It’s old, there are arguably better rounds for any particular purpose, and it’s a long action (30-06 case based) round.  That said, it’s still effective at letting the air out of just about any game animal in North America.

If you’re buying a new rifle, there’s no reason to pick .270 unless you just like it, but if you have one and use it, there’s no real reason to switch.

Mine is mostly retired because my old man made it, I don’t want to beat it up dragging it around the woods, and because I plan on giving it to a grandkid someday along with a story about his great grandfather the gunsmith.  I hope I live to watch my grandkids kill deer with rifles made by their great grandfather.

I’ll do my hunting with my creedmoor (there’s also a trusty, “obsolete” .308 on standby).
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#15]
The ol' 270 fudd'chester seems to remain quite popular among the fudds I know. I'm sure it's fine
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:32:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#16]
Originally Posted By rca2222:
270 is an extraordinarily good, time tested, and versatile round. There's a reason it has been with us for as long as it has.

Buy with confidence.
View Quote

FPNI.

It may not climb in popularity and will likely shrink in production numbers but I truly doubt it is going away.  

It has been a department store stock gun and ammo for decades.  Just like the .308 is shrinking but never going away.  

It is a long large case.  Modern designs are doing the same or close enough ballistics in a shorter case.  

Buy it if you like.  Jack O’Conner made it popular in the gun rags decades ago.  His name is just now fading into history.

ETA and this from a guy who always scoffed at the .270 Cult following in the gun rags of yore.  I avoided it because of the hype.  I was a .308 win guy because I was a machine gunner and like the round and the M14 as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Just bouncing back.

I tend to avoid boutique new cartridges as they tend to come and go.  You never really know what is a flash in the pan until the time actually passes.

6.5 Creedmoor is likely not a flash in the pan now.  It has reached critical mass.  

Not sure with any of the PRC rounds yet, the .22 Nosler, the .22 Valkyrie are likely not going to go mainstream ever.  

Pick your calibers carefully unless you intend to become a reloader.

The fact that we can buy user bolt on barrels and change calibers is pretty cool these days, no express need to have a gunsmith chamber and thread a barrel.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Good hunting round, garbage long range round.  Long action and poor bullet selection.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The only reason I bought my 6.5 cm was it was a smoken deal. I own a .270 buts its been at my buddies deer camp for years. It was never anything special. Just a re stocked savage 110 with a trigger adjustment and lower end Nikon glass but it always did its job exceptionally well and was way more accurate than your average shooter operating it. For all intents and purposes I could live my entire life and not need another medium game centerfire other than a .270
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I've killed a bunch of shit with one as a kid growing up. If I was buying a new gun it's not a caliber I would consider with all the other options.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Only had 2 rifles my first 25 years.  22-250 and a 270 that killed the crap out of a lot of deer, elk, sheep, moose and vermints.  Had to sell both when life took a turn.  Restocked the gun safe with lots of rifles since then but not a 270.  I will have another someday.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CHUBANDERSON] [#22]
About six  years ago I rebarreled my 270 to a 6.5 06 Ackley Improved. No regrets except for I killed a shit ton of deer with that thing. I love the 270 Win.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I like my .270 (M70 classic Supergrade) I just wish I had one in stainless and an hs precision stock to go with it for those bad weather days.

I was considering upgrading to a better bullet a while back.  I use 150 gr. Nosler partitions in mine.  Seems like after about 45 years of using Nosler partitions its still about as good a bullet as you can get for a hunting round.  Are there better bullets - sure - for several times the cost and marginal improvement.  I'll probably stick with the partitions until I tip over.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd do 308 ahead of anything 06 based. 308 is actually a modern design. 06 is like buying a D cell flashlight ;)
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
I'd do 308 ahead of anything 06 based. 308 is actually a modern design. 06 is like buying a D cell flashlight ;)
View Quote

The old aught six is still superior to the .308 in many ways.

There is nothing wrong at all with the .270 win. I have one and like it. Shoots flat, hits hard, widely available. Really the only downsides I see are poor projectile selection if you're a reloader and the fact that it is a long action. That said, projectile selection has improved when 6.8 came to the market.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Not really.  One of those “it’s so common sense that it’s worthless to discuss”
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
No.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
.270 will hunt & kill cleanly most any North American Game (a bit short on the Killer Bears like Grizzly, Kodiak, Polar).

It has been around since the 1930's because .270 simply works so well to kill game animals at hunting range.

It is one of the universal calibers that you can find just about anyplace at even the littlest stores in the country.

There is a lot of .270 ammo sold because their are a lot of .270 rifles out there.

Is it THE ABSOLUTE BEST Long Distance target shooting cartridge? No, but it is a very effective hunting cartridge at hunting ranges.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like there will be a new kid or 2 on the 27 caliber block .  https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/rise-of-the-270s-rifle-ammo/
I see a Sig cross in 277 Sig in my future.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#31]
It’s a hunting cartridge, not a long-distance precision cartridge. But I hunt - I don’t care at all about group size beyond 500 yards. IMHO, shooting much past 400 at a living critter borders on unethical, if not immoral.

Inside of 500 yards, the .270 is excellent on everything from coyotes to elk/moose. With appropriate bullet selection I’d confidently take even grizzly bear with it.

My son (16 years old) has now taken a half dozen deer and antelope with his Tikka T3 in .270 Win. When he pulls the trigger, it’s lights out for whatever he’s aiming at. On deer sized game, a 130 grain projectile at approximately 3000fps kills like a bolt of lightning. I’m continuously amazed by how fast it kills.

I grew up thinking the .270 was a girly round. But I’m a convert now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GONIF] [#32]
If your only have one hunting rifle a .308 is hard to beat in the lower 48. Imho a ethical hunter is not taking shots over 300 to 350 yards . If you can't kill any thing you may encounter with the possible exception of a Moose or Brown bear with a .308 ,you had bad shot placement . Federal  180gr Nosler Partition leaves the barrel at 2570fps and is going 2388 at 100yds out of the 308 ,plenty good for Moose or Brown bear if you do your job. More power is always good , but the .308 will get it done and it is easy to get .308 pretty much every where.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jetpig:
Only had 2 rifles my first 25 years.  22-250 and a 270 that killed the crap out of a lot of deer, elk, sheep, moose and vermints.  Had to sell both when life took a turn.  Restocked the gun safe with lots of rifles since then but not a 270.  I will have another someday.
View Quote

^ this.  I thought the 270 did stuff to prairie dogs.; till I used a 22-250, 55 grain V-max.  Long live the winchester pre 64 270 featherweight :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I love the .270 but don’t care much for the long action that goes with it.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 3:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#35]

I’ll summarize the video:

There’s a bunch of sciencey stuff that says otherwise, but 6.5 won’t kill stuff as well as .270 because .270 is old and has bigger brass.  That extra hundredth of an inch and 2% projectile weight at the top end are a big, barrel burning deal.  Sure competition shooters don’t use it, and there aren’t a great variety of projectiles, but it’s old and has bigger brass, so it’s more better.

If you like .270, go for it - it’s a fine, old, cartridge, but that video is mostly nonsense. Blog post doesn’t say anything surprising but sticks to the facts.

That said, if you’re going out and shooting critters at normal hunting distances, there isn’t a hell of a lot of difference between the three calibres in the blog (25-06, .270, 6.5CM). All are pretty flat shooting cartridges and none of them will kill a critter any deader than the others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top