Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2018 6:56:10 PM EDT
Last year I began buying the 9mm and 5.56 ammo from Midway made by IMI.  I know IMI has had the Independence brand that they would farm out to Federal and CCI to make but it seems they have gone in the direction of making more of the ammo they sell.

It is my understanding that various branches of the government here in the US as well as some foreign governments were buying Black Hills 69 and 77gr SMK ammo and I guess IMI decided they could produce essentially the same ammo.

In addition to the 9mm die cut JHP they offer, they have 5.56, 7.62, and 338 Lapua.

Since I am building a Service Rifle in 223 Wylde, I am particularly interested in their 5.56 offerings.  I have bought their 62, 69, and 77 grain versions but haven't fired any of it yet and my previous AR wasn't good enough to know the difference.

Has anyone on here tried it, what were your impressions?  I know the 69 and 77 grain offerings are SMK bullets.   Their 62 grain is "typical" steel core penetrator style bullets.  But what is the 55gr?  It is BTJHP, but I don't know what bullet it is, or if I should care, i.e. is it any good for short course use?

What about the brass?  How does it compare to Lake City?

I just purchased more of the 77gr at their past sale, and now I am considering buying more 69gr and even trying their 55gr.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only shot the 77gr Razorcore, but it's great ammo. Shot through my Tavor, 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys....

I saw a YouTube video of a guy shooting with a DDM and he had two feed problems in one box but he didn't seem to be on his A-Game.  I also watched a Nut-N-Fancy video and it sounded like it would be his new "stock up" ammo.

I intend to reload (reloader is in transit) and I won't be getting my upper for a couple weeks due to RRA build delays.

So, for now I am buying commercial ammo, but I still want good stuff.

My RRA Service Rifle upper is 20" with a 1:8 twist which should be fine from 55 up through 80gr.  Wish I knew more about the IMI 55gr but maybe I should pass on that for now and just get the 69 and 77gr SMK stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is the 55gr BTJHP?

All I have seen in 55gr FMJ BT, M193 flavor.  Lots of threads on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Your right, my bad, not JHP, it is FMJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mncarbine:
Your right, my bad, not JHP, it is FMJ
View Quote
That's just high pressure M193, nothing special, very much on the hot side, and net really "precision" ammo at all.

Once they have corrected the issues they had with overpressure, it seems they are cranking out some good stuff.

You missed the sales, tho.  It's been 24 cents a round for the past month.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Midway still has the IMI on sale...was there an earlier, cheaper sale.

Surprisingly the 62 grain is cheaper than the 55gr....down to $.26 but the 55gr is more in the .33 range.

I wouldn't expect any accuracy out of a steel core but was hoping the 55gr might have a better, more accurate bullet.

Seems best to stick with the SMK options.

Thanks sir..
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the 69grain razorcore in my 14.5” it shoots sub moa.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the 77gr Razorcore.  Its not the most accurate MK262 Clone in my rifles but pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Razorcore is really good, 55 m193 is ok, ime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top