Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2018 7:58:42 PM EDT
Soooooo I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. Here's the situation...

I was originally planning on buying a new Springfield Armory Railed PRO and have always wanted one but already have a couple 1911s

and a PRO would be pretty similar so I started thinking. I don't have a bolt gun.

I was doing some reading and thought it'd be pretty cool to have one built using -

1. AICS AX pale brown chassis (any advice here is appreciated)
2. Defiance deviant tactical action (.308)
3. Bartlein barrel (open to suggestions) 16"
4. Trigger, unknown yet honestly I haven't gotten this far yet
5. Rugged Suppressors 762 Surge (already have it and a 762 Saker, Surefire SOCOM 762 MINI etc, but Im pretty positive I'll be running the Surge)

So I guess I'm making this thread to
1. Learn more
2. Hear suggestions, etc

What's everyone's opinions and advice? I'm pretty much looking for a small'ish, foldable, portable, cool rifle. I was originally thinking about going 6.5cm but I'll never be shooting at the longer ranges that this cartridge shines. I'll have more options with 308, both suppressed and unsuppressed and I'm not a reloader. I had looked at the Surgeon actions but had read the new ones aren't as good as the old Surgeon actions and honestly the Defiance looks pretty badass so I don't feel as though I'm settling.

I don't have anywhere near to me to go and try out or handle the actions in person so that limits me. So let's hear what you guys have to say!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d say you have a sweet build forming!

For a trigger the new geissele super 700 looks nice, being adjustable to single or double stage (Im a double stage guy)

I think you’ll be very happy with a bartlein barrel.

I’d say 308 for a 16” barrel, just cause you’re not pushing for super long range, so why step up to the 6.5? Plus depending on twist rate, you could run subs in 308, which would be very fun in such a handy little rifle IMO.

The AX isn’t as light as the more open chassis, but I like that a hand guard actually protects the barrel, it’s extremely comfortable, and I think it’s gonna look very sexy with a 16” barrel. Its the chassis I’m using on my next build.

Only other thing I can recommend is Long rifles Inc for any gunsmithing work you may need. They were very responsive when I had them work on my 300wm, and their turn around was awesome. Especially considering lots of the smiths people recommend have 6 months to 2 year+ wait lists just to chamber a barrel.

Good luck, and I bet she’ll be a shooter!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Time-:
I’d say you have a sweet build forming!

For a trigger the new geissele super 700 looks nice, being adjustable to single or double stage (Im a double stage guy)

I think you’ll be very happy with a bartlein barrel.

I’d say 308 for a 16” barrel, just cause you’re not pushing for super long range, so why step up to the 6.5? Plus depending on twist rate, you could run subs in 308, which would be very fun in such a handy little rifle IMO.

The AX isn’t as light as the more open chassis, but I like that a hand guard actually protects the barrel, it’s extremely comfortable, and I think it’s gonna look very sexy with a 16” barrel. Its the chassis I’m using on my next build.

Only other thing I can recommend is Long rifles Inc for any gunsmithing work you may need. They were very responsive when I had them work on my 300wm, and their turn around was awesome. Especially considering lots of the smiths people recommend have 6 months to 2 year+ wait lists just to chamber a barrel.

Good luck, and I bet she’ll be a shooter!
View Quote
This is great help and much appreciated, thanks for the detailed advice. I'm pretty much a layman as far as this stuff is concerned. I should of put more emphasis on running subs in my post. I'd like this to be quiet as well as handy but still have the ability to run supers. I'll never be shooting at extreme ranges so I think I'll be happy with 308.

I'd REALLY like to grab a Surgeon CSR but I have poor people problems when it comes to pulling the trigger on that, but I think I should be pretty close to it using the parts I had mentioned. I understand the AX won't close with the bolt in place using the deviant action, is that correct?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:

This is great help and much appreciated, thanks for the detailed advice. I'm pretty much a layman as far as this stuff is concerned. I should of put more emphasis on running subs in my post. I'd like this to be quiet as well as handy but still have the ability to run supers. I'll never be shooting at extreme ranges so I think I'll be happy with 308.

I'd REALLY like to grab a Surgeon CSR but I have poor people problems when it comes to pulling the trigger on that, but I think I should be pretty close to it using the parts I had mentioned. I understand the AX won't close with the bolt in place using the deviant action, is that correct?
View Quote
I couldn’t say about the deviant action, but if you shoot an email to mile high shooting they can probably answer that, they’re an AI dealer, and sell the deviant was well I believe.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Now I'm torn between a cadex defence dual strike chassis and the AICS AX. Because I'm unable to handle either I wish there were a definitive answer quality wise as to which is the better chassis. Does the folder lock up tighter/better on one VS the other? Is one more solid and robust? I like the roller system cadex uses but that AX is beautiful too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I can tell you one thing to ease your life considerably: You're worrying too much. You very much get what you pay for in the shooting sports. You're obviously not cheaping out so you don't really have to worry a lot there about things like manufacturing quality. Start looking at features you want and why you want them, then find the product that has those. Cool factor is a legitimate reason but should be carefully considered still.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:
Now I'm torn between a cadex defence dual strike chassis and the AICS AX. Because I'm unable to handle either I wish there were a definitive answer quality wise as to which is the better chassis. Does the folder lock up tighter/better on one VS the other? Is one more solid and robust? I like the roller system cadex uses but that AX is beautiful too.
View Quote
I played with both at SHOT, and both are extremely nice. Lock up is perfect, and both were very comfortable to sit behind.

From the minute differences I can tell, the cadex stock was a little more comfortable, if the cadex is a 10/10 the AI is a 9.5/10. They’re very close, I would say the cadex is only more comfortable by the smallest of margins. I also prefer the cadex pistol grip to the AIs, because i have smaller/medium hands and the AI pistol grip was a little big at the base, but I believe the AI has smaller grips available so I can’t really say since I haven’t tried them. From what I felt the cadex was nicer to me, but I think the grip is really subjective. The last really noticeable thing to me, is that the cadex handguards felt quite short. I believe they’re around 10”, which is not something I particularly liked with a 24” barrel.

The handguard length and extra ~$500 of the cadex made me choose the AI. Ultimately I didn’t think the pistol grip would be a big deal on the AI, as I have a legacy thumbhole on my 300 and can shoot it quite well. The stock comfort difference is also so small I can’t justify the $500 price and the short handguard. If they came out with a 13-14” handguard I may reconsider, but at this point I’m happy picking the AI. Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, you might look at MPA chassis as well...everyone says its one of the most ergo setups out there and fit and finish is excellent..just got mine, haven't shot it yet but absolutely love it so far.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve had or handled nearly every chassis on the market, and would advise getting your hands on an AX before buying. I have an AI AT and have adapted to the AI grip, but I wouldn’t call it comfortable like the KRG Whiskey 3 is. It’s really a personal preference. That said, the rest of your build looks solid for a CSR-ish build.

I would also look Into getting a Surgeon 591 action if you’re into the CSR. You could get pretty close to clone of that rifle with a 591 and AX and you know the bolt handle works with the chassis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top