BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2018 3:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: craig24680]
Howa actions are on sale at Brownells.
Are they GTG?
Are chassis systems fairly easy to come by that use AICS mags?

Looking for something threaded that can shoot accurately under 500 yards

11/23 issues with chambering
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
They are built 10x better than the price suggest! Very accurate and well made. The only reason they are not more popular is because the barrel threads are metric. So yes... very G2G!
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By savantgunworks:
They are built 10x better than the price suggest! Very accurate and well made. The only reason they are not more popular is because the barrel threads are metric. So yes... very G2G!
View Quote
The few I've looked at on Brownells claim they are normal, 5/8x24
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savantgunworks] [#3]
You are correct, sorry I was referring to the barrel shank in the receiver. The threads on the end of the barrel for the .308 on sale are 5/8x24 standard. The chassis that Brownells makes are great and mags are easy to come by.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Swanson405] [#4]
Just picked up one in 6.5 creedmoor. Havent got to shoot it yet but seems to be a pretty decent feel to the action and the trigger is nice. I went with a KRG Bravo stock/chassis for it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Myself I like chassis systems. Lots of adjustment.

Lots of PRS guys are using this stock.

Masterpiece arms chassis

If Chassis aren't your cup of tea then the new GRS stocks look good, plus they are adjustable.

GRS howa stock
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lonewolfgun:
Myself I like chassis systems. Lots of adjustment.

Lots of PRS guys are using this stock.

Masterpiece arms chassis

If Chassis aren't your cup of tea then the new GRS stocks look good, plus they are adjustable.

GRS howa stock
View Quote
still thinking about the HOWA but if I get it, jmost likely I'd get the KRG chassis.
inexpensive and allows use of aics mags
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a bad choice! I love mine. Worth every penny and shoots just a good as the more expensive rifles. The features you get with that rifle makes it an amazing deal! The extractor style, the HACT trigger, 3 position safety, hammer forged barrel. Most hammer forged barrels start at just under $300. The only down side is the metric receiver threads but if you wanted to change the barrel you could go with the Howage barrel nut system from McGowan. Thats a pretty cool setup, uses the savage style barrel nut and wrench.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I just pulled out the CC - Howa 24" Threaded Heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for $366.99 delivered.  Going with the KRG Bravo also.   (anyone know of any deals on these?)

Time to start thinking about bases, mounts & glass...  I guess I needed a project and didn't know it.  

Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Picked up the 24in heavy 308 for $245 shipped.
I'll send it to Morgan here to thread and still come out ahead of factory threaded barrel :)

Now to sell a gun to pay for this and the chassis I want, KRG is looking nice but also the AB Arms Mod X
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
I'll send it to Morgan here to thread and still come out ahead of factory threaded barrel :)

Now to sell a gun to pay for this and the chassis I want, KRG is looking nice but also the AB Arms Mod X
View Quote
That's the real bargain of the bunch , at $245.00 shipped you stole it .
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GONIF:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I was kinda wanting to try out 6.5cm but I am stocked for 308 and damn, you can't beat that price
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#12]
These are so damn tempting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Barreled action arrived at FFL but can't get it yet.

Until I can sell something and get extra cash, is there a decent drop in stock for the Howa? prefered to take AICS but not needed

Or just save my pennies for a chassis
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess it would depend on how fast you can save up the $ to make the jump from a lower priced "drop-in" stock to a chassis, if a chassis is what you really want.

Drop-in stocks like the Hogue run $150.00-160.00 msrp (Amazon has them for $128.00), and a Boyd's AT-ONE is $189.00 (I was actually thinking about getting a second Howa barreled action with the 20" 308 and dropping it in the Boyds).

All of the lower cost chassis start around $400.00 - MDT LSS Chassis is about $400.00 - Brownells chassis is $410.00 and the KRG Bravo is $439.00.

So if it's a chassis system you want, how long would it take you to pull together another $200.00-250.00 over the cost of a drop-in?  If it's a month or two, I'd save & wait to get the chassis - if it's a lot longer, I'd get the rifle up and running.

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
They upped the price to $259.99 and no free freight , those who waited will pay more now
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Messer:

Drop-in stocks like the Hogue run $150.00-160.00 msrp (Amazon has them for $128.00), and a Boyd's AT-ONE is $189.00 (I was actually thinking about getting a second Howa barreled action with the 20" 308 and dropping it in the Boyds).
View Quote
Wouldn't the Boyd's (and Hogue, for that matter) also need bedding for best accuracy? Seems then it's right back in the ballpark of the Brownell's chassis.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Would also need a dbm to go with it as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll wait for a chassis.
Need to send it to Morgan on here to thread.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll wait for a chassis.

Thanks
View Quote
Who is morgan and what does he charge?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#20]
That would be Morgan Richey at Class 3 Machining in TX. https://www.facebook.com/barrelthreading

Great guy to deal with, and at one time gave a Arfcom discount if you ask him about it.  I've had 3 or 4 barrels done by him, and have been very pleased.

Happy Monday,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll wait for a chassis.

Thanks
View Quote
For what its worth, I have been playing with the krg bravo a bit. Pretty decent for the money and is comfortable. Only thing I dislike is making sure the front part and rear part line up correctly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
This would be a great way to get into it and you could sell the stock and replace it if you want https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778741662
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#23]
This would be a great way to get into it and you could sell the stock and replace it if you want https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778741662
View Quote
I don't get your logic - he has $245 in the barreled action, and a Hogue OM Stock can be had for $128 - that's just $373, not the $539 you linked to.

Am I missing something?

I'll get my barreled action tomorrow - KRG Bravo on the way - now playing with optic choices...  

I'm looking forward to getting this up and running!

Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GONIF] [#24]

I don't get your logic - he has $245 in the barreled action, and a Hogue OM Stock can be had for $128 - that's just $373, not the $539 you linked to.

Am I missing something?

I'll get my barreled action tomorrow - KRG Bravo on the way - now playing with optic choices...  

I'm looking forward to getting this up and running!

Bob S.
View Quote
Not the same rifle , this one has a SS action much better heavy button rifled barrel in SS . The price on the Howa barreled action in blue  is now $259.00 plus shipping .No more $245.00 with free shipping. And you can use the Hogue stock for now and upgrade later. FYI my friend has this rifle and with his hand loads he gets .75 moa with the Hogue stock .
This has a button rifled super heavy SS barrel not a hammer forged like the other barreled action . This is a real step up from the barreled action on sale at Brownell . Barrel is free floating, pillar bedded 24 inch heavy .8275 at the muzzle and .905 at the forend outside diameter. Bore is 6 groove button rifled with 1:10 right hand twist. Chambering is .308 Winchester and 7.62x51 NATO interchangeably. Magazine is internal
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]
If anyone is wanting a 300WM Howa HCR in a Chassis I know a guy selling one
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Swanson405:
For what its worth, I have been playing with the krg bravo a bit. Pretty decent for the money and is comfortable. Only thing I dislike is making sure the front part and rear part line up correctly.
View All Quotes
I'll wait for a chassis.

Thanks
Can you elaborate a bit?

I like the look of the Bravo but have been looking at the MDT chassis as well but can't use standard AICS mags with the Howa action
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Can you elaborate a bit?

I like the look of the Bravo but have been looking at the MDT chassis as well but can't use standard AICS mags with the Howa action
View All Quotes
I'll wait for a chassis.

Thanks
Can you elaborate a bit?

What? You can use ACIS mags with a Howa action. You just cant use them with the factory bottom metal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

What? You can use ACIS mags with a Howa action. You just cant use them with the factory bottom metal.
View Quote
From MDT's webpage...

"Important Notes

Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard Short Actions
This is the only action that we manufacture a chassis for that has a flat bottom action. For this reason, only our Polymer magazines will work. The fitting may need to be modified slightly for proper feeding."

Their Polymer Magazine IS a AICS pattern, but they always put in the "fitting may be required in some cases" - I think other AICS pattern mags will fit/work, but it would be a PITA if you had to fit each one.

I'm also interested in the comment about the KRG Bravo as mine will be here shortly - I know it is made in front & rear sections, and you can change out the handguard section to either their Whiskey-3 or an enclosed one.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#29]
From MDT's webpage...

"Important Notes

This is the only action that we manufacture a chassis for that has a flat bottom action. For this reason, only our Polymer magazines will work. The fitting may need to be modified slightly for proper feeding."

Their Polymer Magazine IS a AICS pattern, but they always put in the "fitting may be required in some cases" - I think other AICS pattern mags will fit/work, but it would be a PITA if you had to fit each one.

I'm also interested in the comment about the KRG Bravo as mine will be here shortly - I know it is made in front & rear sections, and you can change out the handguard section to either their Whiskey-3 or an enclosed one.

Bob S.
View All Quotes

From MDT's webpage...

"Important Notes

Bob S.
That is a cover your own ass thing. Go talk to jeff at CDI precision. He has probably done more DBM and inletting for howas than anyone else. Great guy.

He was also the first to make a BDM for the Howa 1500 mini actions that use the 223 ACIS mags.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#30]

That is a cover your own ass thing. Go talk to jeff at CDI precision. He has probably done more DBM and inletting for howas than anyone else. Great guy.

He was also the first to make a BDM for the Howa 1500 mini actions that use the 223 ACIS mags.
View Quote
MDT's warning doesn't bother me - I believe their chassis should work with any AICS pattern mag. I went with the KRG for other reasons.

Their warning is what they feel they need to put up to CYA, but it also might keep some folks from buying their product - that is their business decision.

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I am torn between the XLR Element and the KRG Bravo.
Though the AB Arms ModX is looking very nice, but no MLOK

I'm trying to find a base for the Howa with atleast 7075 Alu or steel and featuring a recoil lug.
Trying to buy it all from Opticsplanet as they have 10% coupons.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Messer] [#32]
I went with the Burris Xtreme Tactical 1-piece 25MOA base...

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-410655-Tactical-Elevated-Picatinny-Style/dp/B074F6PWS3

It is all steel, and has the recoil lug. Mine fits the Howa perfectly.

I don't see it on opticsplanet - but shop around.

Bob S.

Actually, OpticsPlanet does list it...
https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/410655-burris-xtb-howa-1500-short-action.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I went with the Burris Xtreme Tactical 1-piece 25MOA base...

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-410655-Tactical-Elevated-Picatinny-Style/dp/B074F6PWS3

It is all steel, and has the recoil lug. Mine fits the Howa perfectly.

I don't see it on opticsplanet - but shop around.

Bob S.

Actually, OpticsPlanet does list it...
https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/410655-burris-xtb-howa-1500-short-action.html
View Quote
Good catch. Howa seems to be hit or miss for searching as sometimes it's under Howa or Weatherby/Howa. Hell, Brownells which sells Howa actions lists a single mount under Howa. Under Weatherby there's a ton

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#34]
OK - it's almost done...

Howa 24" 6.5 Creedmoor Barreled Action from Brownells
KRG Bravo Chassis FDE
Burris XTR II  5-25X50 SCR Reticle in FDE
Burris Signature Tactical 34mm Rings
Burris Xtreme 25MOA rail
BCM MLOK Quick Detach Sling Mount
PMAG

Still need a BiPod...

Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#35]
OK - it's almost done...

Howa 24" 6.5 Creedmoor Barreled Action from Brownells
KRG Bravo Chassis FDE
Burris XTR II  5-25X50 SCR Reticle in FDE
Burris Signature Tactical 34mm Rings
Burris Xtreme 25MOA rail
BCM MLOK Quick Detach Sling Mount
PMAG

Still need a BiPod...

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/Howa-Bravo-1.jpg

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/Howa-Bravo-2.jpg
View Quote
That looks really good!
I emailed KRG and the Bravo Howa is OOS for 3-4 weeks :(

Can't find anywhere else online that sells them so wait I must.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I was little sceptical when my brother ordered a Japanese bolt rifle in 6.5cm.

I was wrong.  Smooth bolt throw and a really good barrel for not a whole lot of money.

Over the past two years he's added an XLR element chassis and I installed a Timney trigger for him (tuned for just over 1lb 6ounces).  I also bought and installed a zero delta brake for him.

For the money they are really damn near impossible to beat.  He picked up another 26" barreled action on sale for way less than $400 (~7-8months ago).

I think you made a solid decision.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Bought a hbar .308 and plan to get a SWFA 10x and a B&C m40 for it.
What would be recommended for bases and scope mount? Don't want to spend as much as the scope on mounting bits.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Can you elaborate a bit?

View Quote
Sorry didnt see you asked this. More or less the front and rear are kind of two different pieces. When torquing down the action screws it can look like its a little bent in the middle because they may not line up correctly. Mine lined up fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry didnt see you asked this. More or less the front and rear are kind of two different pieces. When torquing down the action screws it can look like its a little bent in the middle because they may not line up correctly. Mine lined up fine.
View All Quotes

Can you elaborate a bit?

I kind of figured that what it was after reading some more.

Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:13:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskeyMedic] [#40]
Originally Posted By acreativeusername:
Bought a hbar .308 and plan to get a SWFA 10x and a B&C m40 for it.
What would be recommended for bases and scope mount? Don't want to spend as much as the scope on mounting bits.
View Quote
I plan on running the same rig. Swfa is running a special on their rear focus model with rings. Mil/mil milquad reticle for $299
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#41]
The Weatherby Vanguards at Walmart have a Howa action for $250.  Deluxe’s with a beautiful stock for $350.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I finally got some time after work today break-in the Howa. I followed the Howa directions - cleaning after every shot for the first 10 rounds, with 5 minutes between shots. The cleaning between every 2 shots for the next 10 shots (I kept the 5 minute between shots).

Here are the first 20 shots - you can see the first 6 are low right, then I started to adjust the scope. Somewhere in this, I noticed the scope was moving with recoil, so I had to adjust a little - but the gun did better than I expected.

After each shot, it took about 5 patches to get it clean - used Shooters Choice...

I then put 5 rounds into a new target right before sunset - too bad I pulled one low.

Shots were from a bench at 100 yards - sandbag under the forearm, just me behind it. ;)

This is with Sellier & Bellot 140 Gr. - cheapest ammo I could find. I think it shows promise

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I finally got some time after work today break-in the Howa. I followed the Howa directions - cleaning after every shot for the first 10 rounds, with 5 minutes between shots. The cleaning between every 2 shots for the next 10 shots (I kept the 5 minute between shots).

Here are the first 20 shots - you can see the first 6 are low right, then I started to adjust the scope. Somewhere in this, I noticed the scope was moving with recoil, so I had to adjust a little - but the gun did better than I expected.

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/Howa-breakin1.jpg

After each shot, it took about 5 patches to get it clean - used Shooters Choice...

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/Howa-breakin2.jpg

I then put 5 rounds into a new target right before sunset - too bad I pulled one low.

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/Howa-breakin4.jpg

Shots were from a bench at 100 yards - sandbag under the forearm, just me behind it. ;)

This is with Sellier & Bellot 140 Gr. - cheapest ammo I could find. I think it shows promise

Take care,
Bob S.
View Quote
Looking good so far!
Hope the Howa Bravo chassis is available soon, or a nice Labor Day sale finds something else close in price to the Bravo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#44]
As of yesterday, the KRG Bravos are back in stock. Not sure how long they'll last. I just ordered an FDE for my Howa 6.5C today. Looking forward to getting this out on the range.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#45]
OP Howa's good to go.  I have mine in  a B&C stock, shoots really well if I do my part.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#46]
KRG has had the Bravo available for the Howa's for a few days but I wanted to wait for Labor Day sales before committing.

Got in on the KRG blem sale and got a Bravo rear and Xray front complete chassis for the Howa. Also got a Savage side release 180 Alpha.

$635 shipped total for both.

Will post pictures when they come.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By NoVAR:
OP Howa's good to go.  I have mine in  a B&C stock, shoots really well if I do my part.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285980/20180831_134744-656937.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285980/20180831_134836-656938.JPG
View Quote
Very nice looking, the color of the stock really compliments the barrel/receiver color
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Very nice looking, the color of the stock really compliments the barrel/receiver color
View Quote
Thanks!  I think it was just a silver cerakote model that Brownells was selling last year.  I'm tempted to just rattlecan camo the whole thing
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I own one in .308 from late 90s/early 2000s, its awesome.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:47:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: craig24680] [#50]
Got the rifle back from @eastTXhunter who did an amazing job threading it.

Picked up a chassis from KRG from their Labor day Blem sale. Bravo rear and X-Ray front.

Waiting for muzzle device to be installed, I'm lazy. I have the Burris rail on backorder. Unsure what scope but for now, a Burris Fulfield II 6.5-20

Need to figure out how to adjust the trigger, it's pretty heavy.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top