Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2020 10:41:12 PM EDT
In a few weeks, I’ll be spending a weekend at a range with targets from 10 to 1500 yards, and I’m going with some successful PRS shooters that I’m hoping to learn a lot from.

The rub is that one area I’ve never gotten right on my rifle is leveling the scope perfectly, and it’ll be a serious issue pushing 5.56 to 800+ yards.

I’m looking hard at a Scalarworks LEAP mount for the integral leveling screw and light yet rigid construction. Any reviews on how well the level works?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:20:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oswald01] [#1]
When scopes are constructed, the starting point for dead level is the flat bottom of the turret housing. The Leap leveling screw works off this. If you take your time and very gradually tighten the scope rings to just freely allow rotation of the scope and snug up the leveling screw and rotate a smidgen of the scope to where the leveling screw flat end is dead nut parallel to the scope's bottom flat surface of the turret housing, your scope will be level to within a gnat's ass.

This is something of an iterative process which combines feel with eyeball. When you are done you will back off the leveling screw and you can eyeball the gap between screw flat end and bottom of turret housing to verify the screw flat end is exactly parallel.

You do not need any special tools beyond the driver handle for the supplied torx head driver that tightens the rings. The Leap is by far the best scope mount on the market and worth every penny for the home gunsmith.

ETA - Put something like a Bushnell Elite Tactical with mil/mil and a zero stop on the Leap and buy a Leica Rangemaster 2700-B. Use a quality factory load. Go to Leica Ballistics and use their program putting in ammo, height of optic over bore and zero distance. Download this to the SD card and put the SD card in your 2700-B. Lase target range and dial the mils the Leica gives you along with range.

You are done. This will save hundreds of hours range time and thousands on ammo and rifle wear. You can create a SD card for every rifle and every load. Just swap SD cards when you move the Leap/scope from one rifle to another.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My only experience is with their RMR mount which uses the same wheel to tighten and lock onto the rail.

No issues.... excellent quality
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oswald01] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
My only experience is with their RMR mount which uses the same wheel to tighten and lock onto the rail.

No issues.... excellent quality
View Quote

The RMR mount does not have a scope leveling screw as on the Leap, nor, does it need one as the RMR does not have rings. The RMR mounts directly to the RMR mount and there is nothing to adjust for levelness.

But yes, the click drive attachment to the rail is the same except the Leap has two screws and not just one as on the RMR mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top