Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2020 3:40:08 PM EDT
Trying to set up my hold points for my Ruger No. 1 in 450 Bushmaster for hunting.  I don't have a chronograph so I can't get readings, but I am wondering how great of an effect a faster twist will have on velocity?

450 Bushmaster rifles typically come with a 20" twist, but mine has a obscenely fast 10" twist.  I shoot 250gr FTX for hunting, and they typically do 2200 FPS out of a 20" barrel with a 1:20" twist.  Wondering what kind of gains I'd see using the 10" twist?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 3:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonKey153] [#1]
Twist doesn't impact velocity a whole lot, but in theory a faster twist would result in lower velocity all things being equal.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/02/does-barrel-twist-rate-affect-muzzle-velocity-litz-test/#:~:text=After%20all%20the%20smoke%20cleared,a%201%3A8%E2%80%9D%20twist
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#2]
The only way you’re going to get more velocity is through a longer barrel, higher powder load in the cartridge or using a lighter projectile.  And with all of those, there is a finite level to which they can progress before you run out of gains.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Trying to set up my hold points for my Ruger No. 1 in 450 Bushmaster for hunting.  I don't have a chronograph so I can't get readings, but I am wondering how great of an effect a faster twist will have on velocity?

450 Bushmaster rifles typically come with a 20" twist, but mine has a obscenely fast 10" twist.  I shoot 250gr FTX for hunting, and they typically do 2200 FPS out of a 20" barrel with a 1:20" twist.  Wondering what kind of gains I'd see using the 10" twist?
View Quote

Are you sure of the twist on the #1?  That's really fast.  What is stamped on the barrel?
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By squirrel_herder:

Are you sure of the twist on the #1?  That's really fast.  What is stamped on the barrel?
View Quote

Yep!  I thought it was a type at first when I saw it on a few websites.  The barrel doesn't have the twist rate stamped on it, though.  On Ruger's website they have a video showing the exact same gun off and the Ruger rep even says it is a 1:10 twist.

My guess is it's so fast because I've seen Hornady now has a 395gr subsonic load for the 450 BM, and another manufacturer has a 425gr sub load.

I did find a guy who tested the No. 1 in 450 BM and he recorded velocities, and the average was just slightly under manufacturer velocities.  The 250gr FTX which is what I shoot out of it does 2200 fps out of a 20" barrel according to Hornady, the guy who tested the No. 1 said his average with that load was 2,197.  So it seems the twist had almost no effect on velocity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top