Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2018 7:22:19 PM EDT
Title says it all, just the gunsmiths charges for chambering and fitting. Asking here for more traffic than gunsmithing forum. Savage with a non nut shoulder fit or Remington / Begara.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I had Brian at Bartlein Barrels rebuild my rum last year, total cost between barrel, square the action assembly, square bolt lugs and bolt face, add heavy recoil lug, thread for brake, chamber and set headspace was just over a grand..this included the medium Palma 28" 5R barrel...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Kind of depends.  You mention a Savage.  In those cases most of them are so simple and don't require any machine or lathe work, whereas doesn't a Remington usually need lathe work to set headspace in most instances?  That will affect price of course.

Also I wasn't clear on your statement, "non nut shoulder fit".  Do you mean a model Savage that doesn't have the lugs in the barrel nut for using a wrench?...or something else?

I don't think I'd ever take most Savage rifles to a gunsmith for a barrel replacement except in a very unique case.  They require only a few rudimentary, inexpensive tools and not a lot of extreme expertise to rebarrel.  I have two that I did barrel swaps on, and it was super easy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldered barrel install with muzzle threads $600-900 depending on blank and gunsmith.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies,

A Savage can be set up to be headspaced like a traditional bolt action forsaking the standard nut/barrel arrangement that allows you to do it at home. That then requires a gunsmith to put in the work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sent my Rem 700 LA 30-06 to Pac-Nor.  They trued the action, fitted their 24 in. 7mm SS Supermatch barrel, chambered in 280 AI, and added a Holland .250 lug for $660.  Turn around in 8 weeks and it looks great.  Haven't shot it yet as I'm waiting on a stock.   They took  a lot of time with me on phone as well to answer questions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
About $400 through GA Precision if you need to have the action Blueprinted and supply the barrel (I believe) a bit more if you buy a Bartlein barrel from them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:27:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#7]
350-600 in labor plus barrel and cerakote typically.  Not many smiths will even touch a savage action.

I know Dresden Gun Co in Dresden OH has done a number of shouldered barrels on Savages.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I pay $350 through a buddy deal. That’s chambered, installed, and threaded for can. Normally runs $550 for that combo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#9]
$205.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top