Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2018 8:07:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: owlless]
Just started loading for PRS style matches this year.  Been reloading for years but more for massive quantity vs. precision.

I'm loading my Prime .260 Remington brass, Norma I believe, but I need more brass and want to get virgin.

Looks like I can buy .243 Norma up to $.30 cheaper per case than .260.

Good idea or bad idea to get the .243 and neck up?

Edited to add my key question is how will it affect accuracy compared to my existing Prime once fired?  Will loads need to be drastically different in cases to achieve same velocity?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I necked up a bunch of 243 to 260 and have fired them about 6 times so far and it has been just great.  I tried to neck down some 308 to 260 and had a very hard time.  The necks still look great on the 243/20 brass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
necking up reduces neck wall thickness (which reduces strength and life).
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:38:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#3]
It really shouldn't impact it a whole lot, especially if you anneal.  I'd personally just use brass that is already the correct caliber.  Makes life a lot easier.  I wouldn't count on mixing it in to your existing stock of brass and having it shoot exactly the same either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
It really shouldn't impact it a whole lot, especially if you anneal.  I'd personally just use brass that is already the correct caliber.  Makes life a lot easier.  I wouldn't count on mixing it in to your existing stock of brass and having it shoot exactly the same either.
View Quote
That’s kinda what I was thinking.  Lot to lot variability matters so makes sense that would too maybe more so.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
False economy when necking up stuff that already exists.

Buy Lapua and never look back!  The case life with Lapua with pay back many times over!
Anneal the brass
Use Bushing Dies
Controlled Bump FL sizing
Do not run the snot out of the brass.

I personally have 20+ reloads on Lapua 308 Brass and the primer pockets are still snug.
Just have to take care of the brass!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I neck 243 to 7-08 for my gas gun all the time. I can get 8 loads before w/o a problem after about 10 I get loose pockets and toss it.

Upside you really don't have to trim for quite a few loads lol. Just make sure depending on the finished case length you can end up with a carbon ring in the chamber that can cause problems with some ammo. I make sure to clean my chamber after every match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top