Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2021 12:29:04 AM EDT
For over a decade I've been saving any boxer primed brass.  Mainly .223, 30-06, 30Carbine and a LOT of 762Nato milsurp or new M80 (from various countries).   I have saved up several sealed 5gal buckets.  

Last night I was sorting a year's worth of saved brass.  I have a varied collection of 762Nato semi-autos and several of them are pretty rough on brass.  Sometimes the necks are pushed in, the sides of the cartridge are pushed in or many (like the attached pic) with creased dents (these thanks to a 762 Galil Ace).

I have never reloaded but I may one day.  Obviously I have way more brass than I'll ever use.  I may sell it off in bulk some day.   To get to the point: Does the process of reloading straighten out the case?  To what degree and where?  I know necks are able to be reshaped.  How bad can the body of the brass be before it's not able to be reloaded  ?

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Fired brass is generally very cheap, mostly free in my world. Those cases pictured could be straightened out by firing them, but it's not worth the bullet, primer, and powder to do so IMO. I would personally scrap those. No amount of running those through a die will take those dents out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay but do dents or slightly misshaped cases affect the quality of a reload?   Or is it fine , just ugly?
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#4]
They may not be Xs, but they'll shoot tight 10s.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
They will shoot fine and the dents will fire form out. One thing that I wonder about though is if the dents are too large could the powder in the new load end up compressed and drive pressures up to dangerous levels?
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I would recycle those. IMO there is no reason to risk a case failure from a badly creased case.

I would try to play with recoil springs, buffers and powder selection to stop the brass from getting hammered so bad.

Keep your M80 brass separated from any commercial .308 brass. The load data is a full 2.0 grains lighter when using the thicker M80 brass. Many published starting loads are maximum in 7.62x51mm brass.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
AK's dent cases as do the HK91. The Valmet had a port buffer sold through RTG and some guys modified the top cover of the Galil to make them fit. I don't see those on their website any more.  

As for the brass you showed I'd load them up. I've reloaded probably a thousand cases with similar dents and what ever the sizing die didn't straighten out, firing them again did.

I don't shoot X39 much and not through an AK variant so can't say how many cycles they could expect to be fired before they need to be retired.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I would save those for a semi auto that is rough on brass and not match grade accuracy. The dents will iron out some when ran through a sizer. They will be gone after firing. It makes good brass for practicing less than ideal shooting scenarios or positions where accuracy does not matter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for all the info.

FWIW I did just put a KNS piston on this 762Nato Galil Ace (Merry Christmas to me from wife) and I've got it dialed down to toss brass out about 3 feet with literally no dents or blems on the brass.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Meanwhile, I have several 5gal buckets of .223, 30-06 and 762Nato once fire brass that I've been picking up for years. More than I'll ever reload but definitely of use to reloaders. Gotta be worth more than scrap. Disclaiming that up to 20% of the 762Nato may have dings and dented case mouths how might I best go about selling? Maybe 200rd bags at how much $ each? Shipped $? Or package/sell via as many as I can stuff in a USPS flat rate box? What are they all worth per round?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The dents go away once you full length size them. Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 1:27:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vinyljunkie:
The dents go away once you full length size them. Nothing to worry about.
View Quote

Small ones, yes, after sizing and firing. The big dents and creases in the photo might be a problem, perhaps cause an over pressure or case rupture.

They can be fire formed back and then full length sized as below, but hardly worth the effort for .308 or 7.62x51. If a rare/oddball caliber I'd try fire forming them.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/02/how-to-fire-form-brass-without-bullets/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top