Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2022 7:58:18 PM EDT
Anyone have any firsthand experience in killing thin-skinned game (e.g. elk) using Hornady ELD-X bullets (e.g. .308 212 gr.)?  I've read the comments on Midway USA.  Seems most customers have found it be an extremely accurate bullet at all ranges but that the bullet sheds weight FAST upon impact.  Maybe that doesn't matter as long as you're not trying to make a quartering away shot on a 800 lb. elk at 400 yards.  That'd be a lot of meat to penetrate before reaching the vitals.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used them on deer and elk and will never use them again.  The company that I used to guide for won't even allow them. The ELD-M actually works better.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By owtlaw:
I've used them on deer and elk and will never use them again.  The company that I used to guide for won't even allow them. The ELD-M actually works better.
View Quote

Why won't you use them and why won't they allow them?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:34:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: badredfish] [#4]
I beleive in bonded bullets....

Of course I know nothing - I hunt with a little 243 chasing little Florida deer - I just want something to go all the way thru the animal.

Of course YMMV

Red

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

@owtlaw

Could you elaborate?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Tons of fans of the bullet, plenty of detractors.  
I've filled 3 tags with the 143 gr eldx, no real complaints; all shots under 300 yards though.

Might try federal's terminal ascent bullet this fall.  Depends on how many deer tags I draw.

Still debating on what bullet to use for my cow elk tag in December too.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: owtlaw] [#7]
We have had far too many animals wounded due to lack of terminal performance.  One hunt that I was on last year we had a hunter hit a cow elk at 346 yards. I am basically copying what was written in the hunt report.

Animal: cow elk mature
Round used: 7mm STW, Honady Precision Hunter 162 ELD-X
Animal was in deep snow. The 1st round was fired from 346 yards. Hit was confirmed by guide and spotter as high neck. Animal did not go down. Animal rand uphill for 500 yards before cresting the Ridgeline.
Guide hunter and spotter loaded into sxs and went around on the bottom side. Animal was spotted approximately 1/2 mile from the initial site. Guide was able to get hunter and spotter into an area to re-engage the animal after confirmation that it was the same one that was previously hit. Hunter fired a 2nd round at 282 yards and impact was confirmed. Left side high lung. Animal spun and proceeded downhill approximately 150 yards. Hunter fired 3rd round at approximately 150 and made impact in the front of the head. Upon inspection it was discovered that the 1st round impacted approximately 6" behind left lower jaw and traveled the length of the neck clipping the jugular. Round impacted top of right lung and exited just behind the right shoulder. Damage was minimal. The 2nd round impacted high left side and penetrated both lungs. Again minimal damage was observed.  Guide recomedation is to select a different bullet.

Last season we had 6 other reports on elk hunts that were similar and 5 on deer and 1 black bear.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#8]
We have had far too many animals wounded due to lack of terminal performance.  One hunt that I was on last year we had a hunter hit a cow elk at 346 yards. I am basically copying what was written in the hunt report.

Animal was in deep snow. The 1st round was fired from 346 yards. Hit was confirmed by guide and spotter as high neck. Animal did not go down. Animal rand uphill for 500 yards before cresting the Ridgeline.
Guide hunter and spotter loaded into sxs and went around on the bottom side. Animal was spotted approximately 1/2 mile from the initial site. Guide was able to get hunter and spotter into an area to re-engage the animal after confirmation that it was the same one that was previously hit. Hunter fired a 2nd round at 282 yards and impact was confirmed. Left side high lung. Animal spun and proceeded downhill approximately 150 yards. Hunter fired 3rd round at approximately 150 and made impact in the front of the head. Upon inspection it was discovered that the 1st round impacted approximately 6" behind left lower jaw and traveled the length of the neck clipping the jugular. Round impacted top of right lung and exited just behind the right shoulder. Damage was minimal. The 2nd round impacted high left side and penetrated both lungs. Again minimal damage was observed.  Guide recomedation is to select a different bullet.

Last season we had 6 other reports on elk hunts that were similar and 5 on deer and 1 black bear.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I've taken several animals with 6.5 ELDX but have been thinking about switching. They are super accurate, but I have yet to recover a round. Thinking about switching to the ABLR.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cheekibreeki] [#9]

View Quote

So the first shot was horribly angled.
The second shot was high lung.
The final shot was lethal I suppose.

Frankly this sounds like a hunter who should not have made the first shot and a guide unaware of the hunter's capability. 346 yards is reasonable for the ELD-X from the 7mm STW on an elk, but if you can't place a shot where it needs to go it hardly matters what the projectile is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:

So the first shot was horribly angled.
The second shot was high lung.
The final shot was lethal I suppose.

Frankly this sounds like a hunter who should not have made the first shot and a guide unaware of the hunter's capability. 346 yards is reasonable for the ELD-X from the 7mm STW on an elk, but if you can't place a shot where it needs to go it hardly matters what the projectile is.
View Quote

When a round clips the jugular and travels 3 feet with no expansion, it is pretty suspect on the part of the projectile.  This is only one incident out of several. There seems to be numerous reports on the in net as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jdogg1583:

Thanks for the info. I've taken several animals with 6.5 ELDX but have been thinking about switching. They are super accurate, but I have yet to recover a round. Thinking about switching to the ABLR.
View Quote

Standard Accubonds and Acubond LR has performed well.  Also had good luck with the Swift Scirocco as well.  The Barnes seem ok. We really haven't had many who use them though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
My experience as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot a whitetail this year at 407 yards with the 212 ELD-X bullet out of a .300 PRC and he bucked and fell about 3 yards from where he was standing at the time of the shot.  Round did not exit the far side of the animal and therefore dumped all energy on the target.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Where did the bullet impact and from what firing angle?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 9mmCarbine:
I shot a whitetail this year at 407 yards with the 212 ELD-X bullet out of a .300 PRC and he bucked and fell about 3 yards from where he was standing at the time of the shot.  Round did not exit the far side of the animal and therefore dumped all energy on the target.
View Quote

That was a fantastic Florida deer John... you certainly put your time in that week and the harvest was well deserved.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dodpilot:
Where did the bullet impact and from what firing angle?
View Quote

Bullet impacted just behind the front shoulder and although I was in an elevated blind between the 407 yards and the fact that the land has a slight rise to it I would say at most it may have been a 5 degree downward angle if not actually a straight on shot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

That was a fantastic Florida deer John... you certainly put your time in that week and the harvest was well deserved.

View Quote

I appreciate the kind words, my friend.   It was actually two weeks out there and it was a grind for sure, but definitely worth it in the end.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve harvested a few Axis and a Nilgai with the 212s in a 300 PRC.  Distances ranged from 80 yards to 310 yards. All were one shot kills, but the bullets were placed correctly.  On both Axis the bullets exited. On the Nilgai, the bullet broke the spine due to the angle of the shot. The damage to the lungs was what you’d expect. The bullet was in pieces due to hitting the spine, but you could see that it expanded correctly.

/YMMV
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
thank you sir.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#20]
thank you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#21]
ELDX Experience
Accuracy was good
Bullet performance not so good!
Appears jacket is soft
I had better performance from regular Hornady Interlock SP flat base on game.
Went back to Nosler Bonded bullets in Accubonds.

Game
Alaskan Moose
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I asked Hornady about minimum and maximum velocity for expansion of the ELD Match bullets, which the ELD X are based on. They said impact velocities should be between 1700-2400 fps. So I am guessing on the he elk that might have been moving to slow for good expansion, just a guess though. For my Grendel shooting 120 gn ELD Match the bullet needs up travel 50 yards to get to max expansion velocity and it’s good to about 250-300 yards depending on weather.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RedTeam98:
ELDX Experience
Accuracy was good
Bullet performance not so good!
Appears jacket is soft
I had better performance from regular Hornady Interlock SP flat base on game.
Went back to Nosler Bonded bullets in Accubonds.

Game
Alaskan Moose
View Quote

Shot distance and impact location?  Caliber?  Any additional description regarding "jacket is soft" ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Filled my cow tag a week ago today.  6.5 creed factory 143 gr eldx.  165 yards broadside, double lung shot.  Complete pass through, blew a golfball sized chunk of lung out the exit.  She took 20-40 wobbly steps and crashed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#25]
4 deer have fallen to the 300RUM, shortest distance was 250yrds, longest shot was 740yrds with 212gr EldX over 91gr of Retumbo taveling at 3100fps.
3 fell where they stood, 1 went approx 20 to 30yrds. All were pass through broadside shots behind the shoulder with extensive damage.

This picture is the exit at 400yrds.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Thats sweet, thats why you shoot em in the ribs instead of the shoulder..looks like the rifles working pretty good....
This is what was left of a 230 Berger @3220 out of my 300rum at 500 yards on a meat caribou.. I shot slightly quartering uphill, bullet went in behind the downhill leg and came out on the front edge of the uphill shoulder, dropped like a rock in his tracks.... bullet made decent hole in, even bigger hole out after shedding the copper off the lead core...

Attachment Attached File

Entrance on right, exit on left...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top