Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2019 10:08:57 AM EDT
Just got a 338LM RPR and figure I'll be reloading shortly. Locally I've picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady factory ammo (Amax/BTHP) to start with and want to try the 285 ELD's. I've found a good deal on a case (120 rds) of these. That'll give me plenty of brass to start with. But so far what I read is that virtually no one likes Hornady brass for reloading. Same opinion here?? Thanks. Greg
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:13:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ACPjunkie] [#1]
No experience with the Hornady 338LM brass but their 6.5CM, 308 and 300wm brass is all a little soft. YMMV, I didnt get all that many out of my brass.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Case life is poor!  Brass is soft! 2-3 reloads and she is toast!
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
No experience with the Hornady 338LM brass but their 6.5CM, 308 and 300wm brass is all a little soft. Primer holes loosen up after 3 or 4 loading's.
View Quote
Not exactly.

don't know what you're doing, but I can easily get 9-10 reloads out of Hornady 6.5CM brass.  That's loaded warm.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Im on load 12 for most of my Hornady brass in 308. Zero issues despite loading fairly hot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The difference in opinion you will find with people who do or have reloaded Hornady brass is this:

Some people stay within published reloading data (at or under SAAMI max pressure, usually ~55-63ksi depending on caliber).  Some people like to push the envelope and see how much powder/speed they can get out of it before getting obvious over-pressure signs like flat/piereced primers, bolt ejector hole swipes, etc. then back off just enough to not get those signs.

If you don't hot-rod Hornady brass it's fine and should last you 10 loads if not more.

If you require that extra 50-100 fps and think it will really help you at extended range, then get Lapua brass.  It can handle the 63-70ksi loads better.

Set your FL sizer to bump the shoulder .001-.002" back from fired, neck anneal at least every 3-5 firings, trim your cases when they get over spec, keep within published load data, and there's no reason not to get 10 firings out of a case.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LedZeppelin:
The difference in opinion you will find with people who do or have reloaded Hornady brass is this:

Some people stay within published reloading data (at or under SAAMI max pressure, usually ~55-63ksi depending on caliber).  Some people like to push the envelope and see how much powder/speed they can get out of it before getting obvious over-pressure signs like flat/piereced primers, bolt ejector hole swipes, etc. then back off just enough to not get those signs.

If you don't hot-rod Hornady brass it's fine and should last you 10 loads if not more.

If you require that extra 50-100 fps and think it will really help you at extended range, then get Lapua brass.  It can handle the 63-70ksi loads better.

Set your FL sizer to bump the shoulder .001-.002" back from fired, neck anneal at least every 3-5 firings, trim your cases when they get over spec, keep within published load data, and there's no reason not to get 10 firings out of a case.
View Quote
On the big magnums I have seen Hornady brass lose primer pockets more then anything else...mainly on a buddies 300rum, loads were at book max, zero signs of any pressure and velocities matched up as good safe load.. in 4 reloads half of the 50 initial cases had primer pockets that would not hold a primer...thats been what I have noticed with them...
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#7]
I used some Hornady factory 250-grain .338 Lapua Magnum loads to try and write a magazine article.

The rifle-ammo combination shot like ass. The Hornady ammo often required I punch the empties out using a cleaning rod. I could not chamber ammo using Redding and Forster-die once-fired brass from Sako TRG-42s or DTA SRSs.
View Quote
The best ten-shot group I could get out of it at 200 yards off a bench:

Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My experience with Hornady brass echoes that of other posts here...it is soft and just doesn't last.  Sure, Lapua brass is more expensive, but over the long term it is more cost effective because I got more loadings out of it.

To really make brass last, be sure to anneal case necks regularly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top