Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2019 9:11:38 AM EDT
I’m building a dual purpose rimfire gun, one that I can do a long range PRS style match with and also use around the farm and hunting. I have a 455 varmint now which is great for matches, but heavy for farm use. I do much more hunting and farm use than matches.

I’m going to a modded 10/22 or perhaps a Ruger American predator. The scope on my current rig is a 4-4x44 Primary Arms, which is great for matches but heavy and clunky for field use.

I’m trying to find a scope in the 3-9 or 10x range that has adjustable turrets, parallax adjustment, perhaps a bdc of some sort. Bushnell has a rimfire scope that ticks all these boxes but it’s only a 2-7x.

Any other suggestions? Keep it budget friendly, say $200 or under.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Brandon21:
I’m building a dual purpose rimfire gun, one that I can do a long range PRS style match with and also use around the farm and hunting. I have a 455 varmint now which is great for matches, but heavy for farm use. I do much more hunting and farm use than matches.

I’m going to a modded 10/22 or perhaps a Ruger American predator. The scope on my current rig is a 4-4x44 Primary Arms, which is great for matches but heavy and clunky for field use.

I’m trying to find a scope in the 3-9 or 10x range that has adjustable turrets, parallax adjustment, perhaps a bdc of some sort. Bushnell has a rimfire scope that ticks all these boxes but it’s only a 2-7x.

Any other suggestions? Keep it budget friendly, say $200 or under.
View Quote
Would this work ?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
SWFA 6x42 Used/Demo

A little on the heavy side and fixed power, but has great glass, turrets and parallax adjustment from 10m to infinity.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#3]
I recently picked up a Athlon Neos 4-12x40 AO 22lr BDC

Focuses down to 10 yds. and with 50, 75, 100 & 150 yd. aiming points.

I like it and it performs well with nice glass, and it checks all your boxes.

Optic Planet has the best price.

My .02
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
In that price range I would stick with

used PA, Althlon, or vortex

If you are lucky then you might pick up a Vortex Diamondback hp 3-12 scope.  They go on sale and are a little over your price when on sale but they are sized nice, light and have decent glass.  I have had the daimonback HP is 2-8. 3-12, and 4-16.   The 2-8 was the lightest of the bunch but the 3-12 is my favorite and the sweet spot for size, weight and magnification.

If you could swing another 100.00 and don't mind a little bulk then the Vortex SE 3-18 is on sale for 299 and there is also the Diamondback Tactical you can find for a decent price too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#5]
nm.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:20:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#6]
Weaver 3-9x32 AO Rimfire
Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 - Although, I think this has been discontinued
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 - Might be too high of power, and it won't be as light as the ones listed above

Those above are made in the PI (Vortex) and I believe Japan (Weaver).  Skip the Chinese made junk you'll undoubtedly be recommended (Vortex Crossfire and Strike Eagle stuff).

Those both have adjustable parallax, good glass, and are light.  I've had both, and they're the only things I'd look at in your budget.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve got the Diamondback 6-24. It has all the basics covered for you. Ffp reticle, mil/mil, parallax adj to 10 yds. The glass may not be as bright as some, but this is a daytime range gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
I’ve got the Diamondback 6-24. It has all the basics covered for you. Ffp reticle, mil/mil, parallax adj to 10 yds. The glass may not be as bright as some, but this is a daytime range gun.
View Quote
The Diamondbacks are damn nice for what you pay.  It's not $1k glass.....but what do you expect for a $2-300 scope.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]

I have an Athlon Midas on my Ruger .22 that has been great...very clear glass and excellent repeatability...would get another one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Nikon Prostaff P3 Target EFR 3-9x40 AO  It has finger adjustable turrets but they are set up to be capped.  I've looked at a couple of the Mueller as well.  They were, IIRC, somewhat longer than the Nikon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
View Quote
Agreed, outside of super low-light conditions, this is a solid choice!
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#12]
Originally Posted By DodgeDakota:
Weaver 3-9x32 AO Rimfire
Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 - Although, I think this has been discontinued
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 - Might be too high of power, and it won't be as light as the ones listed above

Those above are made in the PI (Vortex) and I believe Japan (Weaver).  Skip the Chinese made junk you'll undoubtedly be recommended (Vortex Crossfire and Strike Eagle stuff).

Those both have adjustable parallax, good glass, and are light.  I've had both, and they're the only things I'd look at in your budget.
View Quote

The Vortex Diamondback Tactical is Chinese, although the regular Diamondback line is Philippines sourced.

Even so, the Diamondback Tactical is good enough for .22lr target work out to 300 yards or so before the glass starts pooping out and losing detail resolution.  It has a good very fine Christmas Tree type reticle in MOA or MIL with matching exposed turrets (a little mushy feeling) that do track well.  Parallax is adjustable down to 10 yards/meters.  Not a high end scope but good value for .22lr use.

I have the 6-24x50.  It’s appropriate for precise target/bench shooting with good match .22lr ammo on a sub MOA capable rifle to tease out the best of the rifle and ammo at reasonable distances.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Since you mentioned you were looking at Bushnell, here's another:  Bushnell A17 3.5-10x36mm Matte Rimfire Scope.  At $59.99 from CDNN, it's well within your budget.  I got one recently - it's good for the price.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-a17-3-5-10x36mm-matte-rimfire-scope.html#.X2X1xR5Ok0M
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#14]
Weaver Grand Slam 3-12x50

Checks all your boxes, but not being made anymore. Maybe you can find one somewhere.

I paid a little over $200 for mine

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Bushnell Nitro scopes can still be found for $200. Check out Amazon or camaralandny.com
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By backpack:
Bushnell Nitro scopes can still be found for $200. Check out Amazon or camaralandny.com
View Quote

Literally purchased one last night

https://cameralandny.com/shop/bushnell-nitro-2-5-10x44-black-ffp-deploy-moa/cc859fe0-1b8c-0138-86bb-00163ecd2826?variation=2104374&query=nitro

They seem to get great reviews. Not super high magnification, but its FFP and has a nice reticle and reviews say glass is very clear. All things which were more important to me than max magnification.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:34:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdfworth] [#17]
I've greatly enjoyed using a Bushnell Prime 3.5-10x36 on both my dedicated 22 AR & my Marlin model 56 Levermatic. It has nice reticle, clear glass, & I shoot tight groups with it from both rifles. I got them when MidwayUSA had them on sale and Bushnell had a great rebate and I ended up paying about $45 for each of them. regular price of $149. It has what Bushnell called a Drop Zone 22LR reticle & adjustable/resettable turrets. I think it's been discontinued, but you can probably get it on ebay, etc. Here are a few pics:

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdfworth] [#18]
Just saw the date of the original post, I suspect the OP already found a scope, LOL, but maybe someone will find this useful.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:22:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 549] [#19]
Originally Posted By jdfworth:
Just saw the date of the original post, I suspect the OP already found a scope, LOL, but maybe someone will find this useful.
View Quote

I've been reading it trying to decide on an optic for my RPR. I nearly pulled the trigger on one of the SWFA fixed-power scopes last night.

Edit:I bought one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top