Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 12/8/2018 3:30:06 PM EDT
Right now I have an Athlon Cronus (34mm tube, 56mm objective) in Badger steel medium rings (1.125”). With my front lens cover the objective is sitting about 5/16” off the barrel and my sight height is coming in just a tad over 2”. Would like to get this below 2”.

I’m wanting to go down to 1.00” (standard) Badger rings. I know Seekins and many others are great but Badger has always worked for me and I think they look sharp.

So I have 3 options. 2 are steel and the other is 6061 aluminum alloy and is slightly lighter. Right now I’m leaning towards the USMC M40A3 rings. They have a 6 screw front and 4 screw rear.

The only 4 screw 1.00” I see available is part number 306-14. It states Schmidt Bender on the description but is listed 34mm. Anything particular about them calling out S&B on this part number? They are steel too.

The third option is 306-78 MAX-50 aluminum rings. Both front and rear are 6 screw pattern and are almost 2 oz lighter than steel 4 screw option.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Right now I have an Athlon Cronus (34mm tube, 56mm objective) in Badger steel medium rings (1.125”). With my front lens cover the objective is sitting about 5/16” off the barrel and my sight height is coming in just a tad over 2”. Would like to get this below 2”...
View Quote
Why bother???  The only reason I measure sight height is to plug the correct number into ballistic calculators.  I never "shoot for" any particular height.  From my perspective, in long-ish range shooting where you are going to be correcting for bullet drop either buy holding (calibrated reticle) or dialing (turrets), sight height doesn't matter.

Having said that, if you were talking about a typical hunting application where you don't have turrets to dial and don't have a calibrated (mil/moa) reticle, I might understand having your line of sight as close to the bore as possible.

< My sight height is 2.15" >
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess an older school of thought was to have the sight line as close to the bore as possible. That just seemed to be the consensus even 10 years ago and I recently read an article stating it was ideal to be as close to 1.8” as possible.

Either by chassis or stock, I’ll always have an adjustable cheek piece. I just feel that my cheek piece is a little high for what feels naturally comfortable when I’m behind the rifle. I know 1/8” isn’t much but figured it was worth correcting.

I know, probably overthinking it. This all came up earlier as I was measuring to find my height over bore.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Sight height on my long range rifle is also in the 2.1-2.2" range..difference between now and even 10 years ago is todays scopes have bigger bells..todays common 56+ bells versus 50 or less bells back then...

56mm versus 50mm bells....
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top