Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2018 5:02:35 PM EDT
I am looking to get into precision shooting. I went down this road a couple years ago but did not end up doing anything with it but now I would like to jump into it again. I can shoot regularly out to 100 yards and will eventually have access to a 200 yard range but unfortunately nothing further. However based on this, my goal is to see how well I can shoot at 100 and 200 yards accurately and for tight groups. I am currently looking into a rifle at this time so once that is decided, I will look into an optic.

The caliber I am considering is 6.5 Creedmoor. I have considered other calibers but believe 6.5 Creedmoor is a good choice based on popularity. I am asking for some options when picking a rifle and I am sure you all will be able to recommend some options I haven't considered. Here is what I am considering with a budget of around $800 (this is for the rifle only).

Option #1: Ruger American Predator and a Magpul Hunter stock. This is a budget entry that will get me started to see if I will want to continue further.

Option #2: Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD. I like this rifle but am not sure it's a good choice, and also cautious of some Remington QC issues.

Option #3: Tikka T3x of some sort, and a custom stock. This is most likely the more expensive option but probably also the best quality of the three. Just not sure what stock to get and what the color cost would end up being.

Would welcome some suggestions from those who are willing to help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StraightMiataMan] [#2]
For just 100yds? 22lr. For 1-600+yds?

Howa Mini Action ($360) + MDT LSS ($450) seems like it'd be a ton of fun. Wait for sales and you could skim in under budget. Get a RPR/PRS/Luth/Taccmod/other stock off the EE, dig an A2 grip out of your parts box, and you're good to go.

Out of the options you dropped though, I'd say either the Ruger to ease into things, or the Tikka to dive right in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
To clarify I intend to shoot out to 200 yards regularly and eventually want to shoot out further. At the time the range only has a max 200 yard spot for rifle so that’s why.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
OP,,,Buy an AI and be done with it.  Multiple used rifles from multiple sources are available and when you put a new barrel on it you essentially have a new rifle. I`d look at something other than a 6.5 Creedmore also. Shooting competitively will require a massive amount of reloading equipment along with components. Possibly the BEST way to get into long distance shooting is to take a one day or multi-day class. You will be amazed at what you DON'T know and the new info you acquire will save you from making big mistakes ( costly!) up front.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,  check out "sniper101" on YouTube.

Lots of good info.   Some of the info on scopes is dated (i.e. some scopes no longer available).    But the info on how to shoot and what to look for is invaluable.

Personally, I have had great luck with a Savage model 10.

Look at the new model 10 T-SR.    And my preference in caliber is .308.    Yes, the other calibers have flatter, longer trajectory.    But at what cost?

A .308 will still do 1,000 yards and it won't break the bank in getting lots of practice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Howa barrelled action from Brownells in your choice of caliber. Add a stock or chassis and you're good to go for pretty cheap. It's what I did for my first and I'm very happy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Budget of $800, of the rifles you listed the Tikka is the clear winner.  It is an amazing action for 100-600yd I'd grab a 308 when you decide later to go to a whizbang 6/6.5mm cartridge you just rebarrel it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy something in 223 with a faster twist, minimum of 1:8.  Tikka Varmint would be my first choice.

Start reloading.

Shoot high BC bullets, like the 75 ELD M, and learn how to read the wind.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#9]
It really comes down to what you're really going to do, and what you want to pursue.

Out of the options the Tikka is definitely the nicest, but putting it n a nicer stock will increase the cost a whole lot more.

6.5 Creedmoor is a solid choice to get started.  If you're just going to shoot 200 yards it's not really needed.

I shoot my 223 bolt action more than anything else I have.  I'm comfortable shooting mine out to 900 yards or so with no issues, as long as there are experienced spotters.  I'll shoot it in matches against guys shooting 6 and 6.5's and can hang with them, just have to make good wind calls.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
It really comes down to what you're really going to do, and what you want to pursue.

Out of the options the Tikka is definitely the nicest, but putting it n a nicer stock will increase the cost a whole lot more.

6.5 Creedmoor is a solid choice to get started.  If you're just going to shoot 200 yards it's not really needed.

I shoot my 223 bolt action more than anything else I have.  I'm comfortable shooting mine out to 900 yards or so with no issues, as long as there are experienced spotters.  I'll shoot it in matches against guys shooting 6 and 6.5's and can hang with them, just have to make good wind calls.
View Quote
Damn, windcalls at 900 on 223...impressive........
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

a high bc 75-80 running 2900-3000 seated long makes it easier than it sounds.  I can't do that with factory GMM 77s.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
a high bc 75-80 running 2900-3000 seated long makes it easier than it sounds.  I can't do that with factory GMM 77s.
View Quote
Still impressive as heck...hell, I run the 230 berger hybrids at 3200 which makes it real close to point and squeeze versus anything 223.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Still impressive as heck...hell, I run the 230 berger hybrids at 3200 which makes it real close to point and squeeze versus anything 223.....
View Quote
An 80 gr Amax seated long running 2900 isn’t hard at all in West Texas winds to 1000. On perfectly calm days we’ve had good success to over 1300. Once we run out of these Amaxes we will switch over to the ELDM, which should offer even better results.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Inside of 6-700yds, a 223 is extremely effective for precision shooting. Extending that beyond 800yds isn’t hard with velocity and high BC bullets and allows for long shooting sessions. It’s not ideal for big game but great for a cost effective precision rifle. Built one for my girlfriend a few weeks back and I’ll be building me one and a 224Valkyrie on a Nucleus in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mustb123:
I won't pretend to tell you what to get, because I don't shoot competitively in any fashion and never have.

But, since you mentioned the 6.5C and the Tikka. I say go Tikka CTR with the 24" barrel. Mine has about 500 round through it. It is stock except: 40 MOA scope base, cheap brake of unknown brand, cheek rest, and adjusted the trigger down to its lowest setting. I was checking out the new cheek rest and the approx. 1# trigger at 100 yards, so I used factory 147gr. ELD-M's, since they are pretty good. My hand loads do much better, but this was 10 shots inside a circle I traced around a quarter. A soft rear bag and Harris bi-pod.

Again, just a regular group with factory ammo - nothing special, but this rifle holds the 1 MOA out to 1000 yards and is reliable out to 1600 yards.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126943/1136E445-79E3-4D63-B2B9-850D5AE2F652-715911.jpg
View Quote
I've got a Tikka TacA1 and the factory 147 ELD Match is it's favorite load.  Very similar results to what you posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top