Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2020 5:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: plcdwg101]
Been looking for awhile, finally got the extra funds. Wanting to stay under $1000.00 for the rifle. Hoping to find something that is in stock. Here’s what I’m kicking around now:

Savage Tactical- $639.00
Savage Warrior- about $800.00
Bergara B14 Ridge- $750.00
Ruger Predator- $450.00

If you know of a better low budget option in the price range that’ll work to :).

As you can see there is a price difference. Wanting to be as inexpensive while being as accurate as I can. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not the B14 HMR?

I'm pretty happy with my 6mm Creedmoor. Spent about $800.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d lean towards the Bergara out of the group you picked.
I’d add the Tikka CTR to your options as well.  If you plan to pick up a chassis setup later on it’s hard to beat the Bergara’s Rem700 footprint.

Never be afraid to shop used
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Remington Tactical 5R is worth looking at... upper end of your ranger, but phenomenal accuracy
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bergara HMR
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Bergara hmr from family firearms add to cart for ~$880 shipped
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
RK Guns has the Predator for 379 - just picked one up locally today. I prefer the Ruger's action over anything in its price range, and I'm thinking it'll make a solid do-all rifle that'll still let me reach out to 1000 and beyond if I get the opportunity. Once I get a solid optic and bipod I'll probably look into the Magpul stock to get away from using the kind-of-annoying Ruger mags.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just in your shoes and I chose the bergara b14 hmr.
No regrats
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]
also give this a watch

Best Hunting Rifle Under $750: Eight guns reviewed head-to-head
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Tikka CTR
Bergara HMR
Howa 1500
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#10]
My Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor shoots freakishly good w/ cheapish factory Hornady American Gunner ammunition.  ~0.5-0.75 MOA @ 100 yd w/o issue, and that is not cherry-picking groups.  I've had it out to 1000 yd several times and used it to take a nice deer last season.  I bought it because I wanted something lightweight and reasonably accurate for smacking steel and zapping deer, it did not disappoint.  I own guns that are many times the cost of the RAP, and only one of them CONSISTENTLY shoots better than it does.  I almost went with the Tikka CTR but decided on the RAP since it was about a pound lighter and I had read numerous reports of Tikka barrels being on the slow side.  If I was not trekking with it over my shoulder, I probably would've gone w/ the CTR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Savage BA 10 Stealth in 6.5 which cokes from Savage in an MDT chassis. They are often found in the $750 range with rebates,  but you will want to swap out the buttock immediately. Mine shoots some cheap  $14 a box Federal Non-typical ammo right at 1 MOA. My Hornady ammo was .6-.7" groups most of the time. I habe a few other ammo choices to test.

I also have a Ruger America Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. I dropped it into an MDT chassis also when they had them on sale. I dont have that many rounds through it yet, as when I bought it, the selection on the shelf was meager. The white box Honady match is all I have put through it for 40 rounds and I was only getting 1 MOA groups which didn't impress me. I need to do more testing though. The Ruger stock sucks so you will want to do something about it after purchase.

Honestly, if I knew about it at the time, I probably would have snagged a Bergara. After screwing with these two rifles, I could have just bought a Bergara and been done with it. Both rifles required more money to get setup than the Bergara. Not by much, but enough that my choice would be different today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm really liking my TIKKA CTR , I'm still new at precision rifle shooting but this rifle is awesome. I'm just getting 100 yards down pat ,time to move to 300 and 600 yards at the range.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up a Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5cm - right around $600. I figured I would probably change the stock/bottom metal anyway so I didn't pay up for the CTR. Haven't shot it yet, but it's very nice for the price. Lots of aftermarket support for the Tikka
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're willing to go to the top end of your budget I'd get the Savage 12 Long Range Precision.  It has the Target Accutrigger which is probably the lightest factory trigger I've ever used.  You can tune it down to literal ounces.  It has a fluted heavy barrel and blueprinted action.  I've seen someone shoot a 1/4" 5 shot group with one before.  It is just a disgustingly accurate gun.

If you search on gun.deals you can find them for about $950.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Bergara B-14 HMR is the rifle you seek. Mine is very accurate, and the stock ergos are great.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#17]
B14 would be hard to beat

Here is why I take the B-14 over the Tikka. The B14 has a better stock and it takes ACIS mags out of the box.  
To me that’s a big deal
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Bergera or Tikka.

You can add a fancy chassis, and do trigger upgrades later if desired.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Savage tactical desert, it is a great rifle. I only shoot factory ammo, and it is a really accurate rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for B14 HMR. Absolutely love mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mc556:

Here is why I take the B-14 over the Tikka. The B14 has a better stock and it takes ACIS mags out of the box.  
To me that’s a big deal
View Quote

TRG/CTR mags are better than AICS mags.  AI AT/AW mags are better than both of them though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

TRG/CTR mags are better than AICS mags.  AI AT/AW mags are better than both of them though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

To me that’s a big deal

I’m not really familiar with Tikka mags but a quick look shows 10rd Trg mags at $179 and CTR for $79 ( eurooptic)
I’d say someone looking for a sub 1k rifle would prefer $32 Magpul AICS than even the $79 CTR mags.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 1:50:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#23]

I’m not really familiar with Tikka mags but a quick look shows 10rd Trg mags at $179 and CTR for $79 ( eurooptic)
I’d say someone looking for a sub 1k rifle would prefer $32 Magpul AICS than even the $79 CTR mags.

View All Quotes

To me that’s a big deal

Magpul AICS mags won't work with the Tikka CTR action without modifications.  Even if they did I personally wouldn't use them as their internal OAL is much shorter than a metal AICS magazine (especially with the binder plate removed).  AICS 10rd magazines are also ridiculously long (height wise)  compared to the CTR/TRG magazines.  That's a 10rd 308 magazine in the CTR below while the rifle above it has a 10rd 223 magazine.  The 308 AICS magazine is quite a bit longer.

The CTR magazine is a TRG-22 magazine with a plastic baseplate rather than metal.  The CTR's initially shipped with TRG-22 magazines as the CTR only magazines didn't exist at the time.

I have experience with all of these magazines.  I sold my AI AE MKIII though so I only use AICS 223 magazines (no 308) at the moment.

I have 4 of the CTR magazines and now that I have a TRG-22 I have 5 of the TRG-22 magazines.  I also went a bit overboard and bought 15 magazines for the AI AT.  The TRG-22 magazines made me cringe when buying them though.

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lithgow303] [#24]

View Quote

The CTR mags get you a longer COAL that you can load to, which helps you squeeze the potential out of 6.5CM.  Also as someone else noted the magpul mags need some modification to work.  The best comparison is the CTR mag to actual AICS or Accurate Mags without binder plates.  When you compare the cost of those AICS mags to the CTR mag, the CTRs are not that much more, if not the same price.  Beretta has run some pretty solid sales recently and during those you can push the CTR mags down to about $50 a mag.  I would not dismiss the CTR mag out of hand solely based on price as the Tikka T3x CTR is a great factory set up that can be had for about $900 if you shop.  I got my last 24" CTR for $849 shipped a few months back.  

My take is that someone shopping for a sub $1K rifle is looking to maximize the value that they get from it and squeeze as much accuracy potential as they can out of that rifle.  A solid detachable factory magazine system that's included out of the box that gives you the longest COAL to get the most potential out of the round your shooting sounds like the best deal to me.

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I like my Weatherby Chassis Rifle.

It’s really a Howa in an MDT chassis with a Luth-AR stock. I priced all those components separately and this is cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Strong case for the Tikka that I dismissed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently sold a Ruger American in Magpul stock for $600. I shot two 5-shot groups using cheap Hornady “American Gunner” ammo and both groups were 3/4”. With handloads that’s an easy 1/2 MOA setup.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jhoyda1:

It’s really a Howa in an MDT chassis with a Luth-AR stock. I priced all those components separately and this is cheaper.
View Quote

Yep, that's a good price.  Also, Howa has some new 1500s hitting the market now.  16.25" threaded shorties in .308 and 6.5CM.  I'm seeing 'em online for around $450.  Drop it in a Bravo and you're still at about $800 total.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#29]
For a bit more, Tikka CTR.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the B-14 Ridge in 6.5 and I love it! The full setup is running me somewhere around $1700-1800 right now, but that’s the way it goes. The out-of-the-box rifle was still a great weapon; easily one of the best available in it’s price range.

My shooting buddy has a Remington 5-R that cost considerably more than my Bergara and he agrees that I got a better deal for a base rifle. His Remington is a great rifle with all the work that’s been done to it, but the Bergara is on the same level without having needed many adjustments.

The HMR is said to be a better starting point for a precision rifle, but I really love my Ridge and wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Recent pic:

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#31]

To me that’s a big deal
View Quote

The Bergara B-14 Ridge does not take AICS mags. They make proprietary detachable mags for them, but they are not AICS mags. If such a thing existed for the Ridge, I would have it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HammerHammer:

The Bergara B-14 Ridge does not take AICS mags. They make proprietary detachable mags for them, but they are not AICS mags. If such a thing existed for the Ridge, I would have it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HammerHammer:

To me that’s a big deal

HMR uses AICS mags
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jhoyda1:

View Quote

What magazine format fits that rifle?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#34]
HMR.
Very accurate.
A bit heavy for carry in the field, but great for bench shooting or fixed-position hunting.

Had a couple Fudds bragging about their expensive custom rifles at the local range.  Saw my groups with hand-loaded 6.5 Berger's in my HMR and suddenly shut up.  My Bergara shot similar to their customs, at less than half the price...

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Bergera or Tikka, or roll the dice with Remington.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Bergera or Tikka, or roll the dice with Remington.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: quietm4] [#37]
I was making the same decision a while back...ultimately ended up with the Bergara B14 Ridge SPR 6.5 Creedmoor.  

I don't like the HMR stock (personal opinion...it's a good stock, It just doesn't fit me as well as others).  I didn't want a long 22" or 24" barrel...I wanted an 18" barrel.  

So, the Ridge SPR was my choice.  Dropped it into a KRG Bravo stock along with a Timney Calvin Elite Two-Stage trigger...awesome rifle.

AICS pattern PMags are very inexpensive compared to the Tikka mags.  The KRG stock is great...I really love the 90 degree grip.  

I also have the Bergara B14 Rimfire.  Same chassis and trigger as my 6.5....only difference is the scopes (for now...they will eventually have the same scope).  

I do love a good Black and Tan...

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Another vote for Bergara. I was able to shoot a B-14 Timber model (in 6.5cm) someone had at the range I go to and everything about it was exceptional. They put alot of care into their rifles from what I have seen. This rifle was shooting 0.75 with factory Hornady ammo.

Tikka is another great route too and also, have you looked at Weatherby's yet? The vanguard is another sweet rifle to consider. I dont remember if that was on your initial list or not

Ruger Americans are something I have had issues on with two separate rifles now  both being th Go Wild Camo editions. My .308 was like shooting a shotgun when it came to factory ammunition. Once I worked up handloads it became very accurate. My .300 win mag had to go back for an issue with the bolt becoming seized after firing. Ruger went ahead and replaced the entire thing. I tried to find out the exact reason why they had to replace, but the CS lady never got back to me. The replacement is good but it is not broken in yet so I cant speak to accuracy on that particular one. Generally they are great guns, but I got two rifles that werent good out of the box so just a heads up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Shot this on Saturday with my Bergara HMR in 6mm Creedmoor.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:08:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott_R] [#40]
Bergara B-14 Ridge, in stock $749

Browning X-Bolt Medallion $901.99

I have an X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor.  It shoots.

The Medallion is beautiful:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Another vote for b14 HMR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top