Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2019 12:32:28 AM EDT
Im a long time lurker, but I think I need some help now.  I have an old Stag AR-15 that I have decided to try to make into a 1/2moa rifle.  I have replaced nearly everything, but its not performing anywhere near my goal.  from tip to tail, heres what ive installed.

-Lothar Walther 18" stainless barrel 1-8 twist, 223 wylde  (left muzzle device off for testing)
-Free Float HG
-odin works adjustable low profile gas block
-I've lapped the receiver true and bedded the barrel extension with sleeve retainer
-Rise armament NiBo BCG with Lothar Walther matched bolt
-Timney match single stage trigger
-Primary Arms Platinum series 1-8x with American defense mount(I also tried using a vortex 6-24x)
-Tubbs flat wire buffer spring
-Magpul ACS stock

I reload, but im not going to start load development for this barrel until I can affirm its capability with factory match ammunition.

Im really disappointed in its performance so far.  I have tried 4 different types of match ammo from 60gr to 77gr and im seeing between 1.2-2.5 moa using 5 shot groups.  I was shooting from bags in an underground 100yd tunnel.  I am doing a similar build with an LR308, and its shooting around .8moa on the same range trip, which im happy with, so I'd like to think its not me...

Is there something stupid that im missing here?  I think ive addressed about everything except carrier tilt, but thats really getting in the weeds.  Help me AR gods!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep trying different ammo, even ones you dont normally shoot.

Sometimes, it just wont shoot well... in that case, barrel swap and keep shooting
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 2:09:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cheekibreeki] [#2]
You've done pretty much everything you can do for accurizing. I'd question the precision of a 8x PA scope for shooting groups.

Try some other loads and put your normal muzzle device on. You could just be at the limit of the barrel. The most accurate ARs I've used were with Kreiger barrels using handloaded 77 gr SMK or 53 gr Sierra's. Even then 0.7" is the best I could repeatedly expect from them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:04:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6GUNZ] [#3]
1.2 MOA with factory ammo isn't bad. Especially if you're using either a 6 or 8 power scope. Whenever someone tells me they have an AR that shoots half MOA all day long I have to roll my eyes a little.

ETA: Shooting five shot groups and measuring extreme spread also isn't the best way to do things. It produces a lot of what I guess could be called statistical anomalies or something that can make for a very poor representation of any given rifles actual precision, or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s al” about how far of the lands to your ogive.

Load up 5 different charge weights next time and on e you pick the best one, start as close to the lands as magazine length allows and work back ..002 at a time.

You do own a comparitor, yes?
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd say it's about a .6moa mean radius of you prefer a different measure. I don't shoot with a lot of ar guys so I really only know what the Internet says is good accuracy.  It's the most accurate ar15 I've owned so far, but all the talk of sub moa has got me yearning for it.  Its not a far stretch for my desert tech.  Should I be happy with how it's shooting now?

Like I said, I do reload, and I know it'll improve when I start doing that, but it won't be taking a 1.5moa gun to a .5 moa gun
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
What round count? Stainless take some rounds to hit their stride. My best barrel shot like shit for 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
That is worse than my 20 year old JP Enterprises Grade 1 upper that has seen probably 3500-4500 rounds.

I still have some subMOA factory loads for it after all this time.

In it's hey day several factory loads were subMOA for 5 shots.   Best handloads were around 3/4 MOA for 10 shots.

Try something like some Nosler Ballistic Tips, even 50-55grn NBTs are tough enough to survive a 1:7 twist and certainly tough enough to handle 1:8.

My JP Enterprises gun is 1:9 and loved 40grn BlitzKings and Vmaxes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 7:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6GUNZ] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PartyPewper:
Should I be happy with how it's shooting now?
View Quote
I would be. I get your frustration given how much stuff you did to it, though. At the same time, though, I feel like there are so many fish stories out there that it gives people unrealistic expectations of what an AR can realistically do. It's just SOP now on gun forums that someone goes out and shoots one half MOA group, then for ten years afterwards they post about how their AR shoots half MOA "all day long."

It's just the internet, just how it is. Everybody is 6 foot 2, lives in the Hamptons, has guns of steel, a model wife, the world's smartest purebred german shepherd from an elite line of aryan forefathers, and all their ARs shot half MOA all day long.

If it's shooting close to one MOA now with factory ammo, then it shouldn't be out of the ballpark to expect handloads to do sub MOA, and that's basically all you can ask. Put it this way, if Crane builds an SPR that shoots one MOA with factory ammo they call it a success. I think that says more than stories you read on the internet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Hornady black 75 grain hpbt have been very consistent for me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Check your optic mount for tightness after swapping to a higher power optic.

Check to see if your barrel nut is torqued on fully! Since you loctited it in, it may be a pain to undo, but you may need to shim it if the nut doesn't contact the large ring on the barrel extension. I have seen several good builds that were loose at the nut and shot horribly.

Check your adjustable gas block to make sure you are fully open.  You haven't found a load to taper it down yet, so make sure the gas block is consistent and open and not moving as the group is going.

Check your magazine and make sure it is not angling the first round and feeding it in a goofy angle.  You can mitigate some issues by putting a sighter round (I use cheap 55 grain Ball ammo) at the top and bottom of the mag so the five or ten middle rounds are chambered consistently by the rifle's action.  If the feedlips are scraping and gouging your round, a tight match chamber may be inconsistent.  You can also try single loading from an open bolt to ensure the rounds are in the same way each time, but that nullifies the joy of having a semi-auto for me.

Your rig should be able to put them sub-MOA with the right load.  Federal Gold Medal Match in 69 and 77 should shoot well in most barrels at your twist rate.  I would also try some Nosler 55 grain loads or a good load with Sierra Blitzkings (HSM has a new one that shoot well for me in a 1 in 9 bull).  As mentioned above, Hornady 75's should also do well!  Please let us know what ammo you tried.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
What round count? Stainless take some rounds to hit their stride. My best barrel shot like shit for 200 rounds.
View Quote
Bingo!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
That may be more due to imperfections in the throat or gas port than the actual material.

Fresh barrel w/ zero rounds prior to testing these loads. One 3x group and the remaining are 4, with one being 5x since it was a pet load in my other barrel. Virgin brass, which in my experience, can lead to some “fliers” to the left with a RH twist barrel.

Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the replies so far.  I’ve only put 60 rounds through it, and I’m content with giving it some time, but I figure a premium hand lapped barrel should not need broken in before it stops shooting like a shotgun.

Optic is good and verified on other rifles.  The barrel nut was torqued, backed off and torqued again.  I’m not really capable of determining the nuts bearing on the extension shoulder.  There was under 2 thousandths of slop in the receiver so not enough room to shim, and I’d hoped the loctite would take up the remaining space.  I did NOT loctite the barrel but.

I had the gas block fully closed and was hand feeding each round.  I thought this would remove any inconsistencies due to recoil impulse and make for the most accurate test platform.  Am I wrong in thinking that?

I’ll consider the magazine feed trick when I get to using the mag again.

So far I’ve used Hornady super performance 77gr, sig elite performance ammunition 77gr (this did ok), and Nosler 60gr match.  I’m going to order some black hills and fggm for the next test.  I really would like to see under 1 moa here.

Can anyone recommend an instructional video on shooting precision ARs over bolt guns?  I’d like to make sure my fundamentals are not contributing to the issue.  Don’t have the money for a lead sled or the like.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies so far.  I’ve only put 60 rounds through it, and I’m content with giving it some time, but I figure a premium hand lapped barrel should not need broken in before it stops shooting like a shotgun.

Optic is good and verified on other rifles.  The barrel nut was torqued, backed off and torqued again.  I’m not really capable of determining the nuts bearing on the extension shoulder.  There was under 2 thousandths of slop in the receiver so not enough room to shim, and I’d hoped the loctite would take up the remaining space.  I did NOT loctite the barrel but.

I had the gas block fully closed and was hand feeding each round.  I thought this would remove any inconsistencies due to recoil impulse and make for the most accurate test platform.  Am I wrong in thinking that?

So far I’ve used Hornady super performance 77gr, sig elite performance ammunition 77gr (this did ok), and Nosler 60gr match.  I’m going to order some black hills and fggm for the next test.  I really would like to see under 1 moa here.

Can anyone recommend an instructional video on shooting precision ARs over bolt guns?  I’d like to make sure my fundamentals are not contributing to the issue.  Don’t have the money for a lead sled or the like.
View Quote
If the extension fit was tight to begin with then Loctite won't do anything. It won't hurt anything that I know of, but it won't help either. When you tighten the barrel nut, it causes the flange to stretch and contract on itself, easily taking up that 2 thou and locking the extension in there rock solid. If you let the Loctite dry before you torqued on the barrel nut then it might even be possible that it's doing something detrimental. To be sure, I would remove it since it can't be helping anything.

I apologize if you mentioned this already, but what torque did you use on the barrel nut?

On another note, I wouldn't call 1ish MOA with factory ammo shooting like a shotgun. I agree it could be better, and the others might be right about it needing some break in time. Maybe the next time you go to the range run a few hundred rounds of cheap ammo through it before you shoot any more groups of the expensive stuff. Couldn't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:56:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah yeah I know its not a shotgun.  I just got myself so dammed worked up while waiting for these barrels that my expectation may have got a bit inflated.  I'm not going to remove the barrel right now.  I tightened the nut to 60lbft to index properly, before the sleeve retainer dried.  I'll try different ammo, and plink it a bit too break it in.  Thanks for all the input.  I'll share my .25moa all day groups in a couple days.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:10:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah yeah I know its not a shotgun.  I just got myself so dammed worked up while waiting for these barrels that my expectation may have got a bit inflated.  I'm not going to remove the barrel right now.  I tightened the nut to 60lbft to index properly, before the sleeve retainer dried.  I'll try different ammo, and plink it a bit too break it in.  Thanks for all the input.  I'll share my .25moa all day groups in a couple days.
View Quote
You might try shimming to get it down to 40-50 ft lbs. I don't think it will help, at least not much, but technically 60 is more than what most people might consider to be ideal.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:13:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#18]
Biggest thing is if you are going to reload it not.

If you arent, then buy a bunch if different ammo and see what your rifle likes and improve on your shooting skill.

If you are going to reload, then same thing but get ready for alot of workups.

Past that, why not just build a whole new rifle vs replacing everything.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Superformance is generally not very accurate in AR's as it has a special powder that is designed to increase velocity without spiking the pressure curve above SAAMI spec.  2.5 MOA happens a lot with that ammo even in good barrels.  The Nosler 60 may be a bullet that your barrel doesn't like - Nosler ammo is usually really accurate.

I would turn on the gas fully and shoot in semi-auto using the magazine trick - this will help with recoil over single shot with no gas and it may shoot differently (likely better since it was designed to be this way).

69 Grainers are probably a good bet that your rifle will like them - Federal Gold Medal is my go-to for testing a new barrel.

It sucks that you sometimes have to get 6 or more different factory loads through a rifle to start figuring out what it likes and what it doesn't, but it is worth it when you hit one it shoots well!

I have had similar experiences hoping for a wunderbarrel.  Each barrel is a law unto itself and your PacNor is going to shoot well once it is broken in and you find a good load for it.  Shoot some plinking loads and then cleaning it with copper solvent after 5-20 rounds might help break it in faster as someone else stated!

Lastly, people exaggerate the MOA thing all the time!  .5" 3 shot groups at 25 yards are not MOA, but some guys think it is and like to brag about how they got a half inch gun with a crappy barrel and TULA ammo.

Look at the MOA All Day Challenge thread and you will see real results from some really high end barrels!  Only 3 out of 103 sub MOA rifles are half MOA.  Lots of good barrels like the Rainier Arms Ultramatch, LaRue Stealth and White Oak that don't get MOA, even though others from those manufacturers are in the top of class!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#20]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Try a 55 grain flat base bullet instead of BTHP. Hornady American Gunner.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
^ this and it doesnt happen to be nitrided/melonited/LiFehd treated like Lothar Walther offers does it? A nitrided barrel could take hundreds of rounds or more to "break in" tool marks/imperfections in the throat and bore (if not lapped pre treatment).
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve only put 60 rounds through it, and I’m content with giving it some time, but I figure a premium hand lapped barrel should not need broken in before it stops shooting like a shotgun.
View Quote
The bore may be lapped but it is highly unlikely the throat was, and I wouldnt expect it to be from any manufacturer/finisher unless you paid specifically for a service. The bores are lapped before being chambered and ported, chambering leaves tool marks and imperfections, porting can leave burrs, these imperfections need to be smoothed by fire or manually before you will get the best performance from your barrel. If the barrel is nitrided, this can take hundreds of rounds to accomplish.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#25]
That's a good point.  I'm not sure if the barrels treatment beyond the lw50 steel they use, but I hadn't given much thought to the chamber imperfections vs the bore.  I'll shoot a couple hundred bulk through it and see how it does later.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Find someone that knows how to shoot an AR accurately stand behind you and watch you shoot. Shooting one of these is not the same as a bolt action. Way more going on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
Find someone that knows how to shoot an AR accurately stand behind you and watch you shoot. Shooting one of these is not the same as a bolt action. Way more going on.
View Quote
OP says he can shoot his 308 AR sub-MOA. I’m not doubting that, I say it to say that big frame ARs are a lot more demanding than small frames, so if he is shooting his big frame well I doubt it’s his issue.

As above, I wouldn’t think much of it until it’s had 100-200 rounds through it and is still printing below expectations.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By buffetdestroyer:

Lastly, people exaggerate the MOA thing all the time!  .5" 3 shot groups at 25 yards are not MOA, but some guys think it is and like to brag about how they got a half inch gun with a crappy barrel and TULA ammo.
View Quote
ok so what is it then?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 1:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buffetdestroyer] [#29]
Originally Posted By Brook99:

ok so what is it then?
View Quote
A three shot group at 25 yards measuring a half inch is 1.91 MOA and not indicative of what it can do sustainably over multiple shots.

The MOA All Day challenge shows great barrels shooting .5 MOA in one group and then going out to 1.25 MOA in the next group because of a bad flyer - hence why it is an average of the best and worst of the day.  A cherry picked 1 inch group at 100 yards is not indicative of what the rifle does consistently - especially when only shooting 3 shots.  Getting consistently under MOA with any rifle for 25 rounds over 5 groups is a hard thing to do!
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#30]

A three shot group at 25 yards measuring a half inch is 1.91 MOA and not indicative of what it can do sustainably over multiple shots.

The MOA All Day challenge shows great barrels shooting .5 MOA in one group and then going out to 1.25 MOA in the next group because of a bad flyer - hence why it is an average of the best and worst of the day.  A cherry picked 1 inch group at 100 yards is not indicative of what the rifle does consistently - especially when only shooting 3 shots.  Getting consistently under MOA with any rifle for 25 rounds over 5 groups is a hard thing to do!
View Quote
It's always the flyers!

Oops, I pulled it, that one doesn't count! Oh that was the wind, that one doesn't count either! Yep, half MOA all day long.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like you've done everything right.

Maybe try tightening up the receivers if there is play.  Probably not the cause if it's even slightly loose, but I like a tight mating upper and lower on my precision rigs.

You mentioned you reload so I would just start trying to find a load for it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
[b]  Should I be happy with how it's shooting now?
View Quote
No.  After considerable load development you should be in the .75 range.  I went through a similar experience with my SPR and found my rifle likes light bullets then the usual 69/77 gr SMKs.

At the end you should be able to shoot an All Day MOA target and get sub MOA every time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm gonna say check if have issues with feed ramp scratching bullet jacket.a nick may cause inconsistent chambering.
Insure the gas tube centers well in the gas key and not banging on an edge to cause the bolt to" stutter" on chambering.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PartyPewper] [#35]
Thanks for all the input guys.  I wasn't able to find much for real match grade ammo locally, but I found a bunch of 69gr smk pills.  I loaded them up with some 8208xbr in a ladder test.  I am VERY happy with the results!  I sighted in with some m193 and it grouped at about 2.5moa, just like most of my other tests with various ammo.  Below was my test.  All shots at 100 yards with 5 shot groups, measured with the range buddy app

Unsuppressed
8208xbr 69gr smk

23.1gr   .55moa
23.3gr   1.11moa
23.5gr   .57moa
23.7gr   .7moa
23.9gr   .79moa

Suppressed
8208xbr 69gr smk

23.1gr   .52moa
23.3gr   .6moa
23.5gr   .61moa
23.7gr    1.15moa
23.9gr   .88moa

I think at around 23.5gr, and with a little more care during reloading, I should be able to print pretty consistently below 3/4moa.  I'm looking forward to trying some 77smk next.  I am elated that all the work into this gun was not for naught!  Thanks again to everyone for the reality check and  advice!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#36]
When you get a chance load up some 53gr VMax over some 3031.  It shot as well as 69-77gr SMKs.  This was with a LaRue 18” 1-7 twist.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 6GUNZ:

It's always the flyers!

Oops, I pulled it, that one doesn't count! Oh that was the wind, that one doesn't count either! Yep, half MOA all day long.
View Quote
Be interesting to plot shot calls compared to impact.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brook99:

ok so what is it then?

I wouldn't put to much faith in that moa challenge, if I recall properly the top few turned out to be liars and people of questionable integrity. I may be wrong and if I am I apologized ahead of time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

I wouldn't put to much faith in that moa challenge, if I recall properly the top few turned out to be liars and people of questionable integrity. I may be wrong and if I am I apologized ahead of time.
View Quote
Cheating is cheating yourself.  If I can repeatedly get 5 shot groups in the .75-.50 range I’m happy.  I never officially entered the MOA challenge but still use it as a standard to test myself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#40]
That's a good point.  I'm not sure if the barrels treatment beyond the lw50 steel they use, but I hadn't given much thought to the chamber imperfections vs the bore.  I'll shoot a couple hundred bulk through it and see how it does later.
View Quote

Came here to suggest doing a formal barrel break-in to smooth out the throat reamer marks.  Theoretically, this is not so much an accuracy improver as it is to slow down copper fouling, which can cause accuracy to degrade.  You have to remove the copper regularly during the break-in or you are just laying more copper down and will never get it out.

I have a Lilja match barrel on my precision AR and followed Dan Lilja’s break-in procedure.  See link below. I can’t say whether it helped, but I have very little copper fouling now and can put more rounds down range before cleaning.  The barrel is sub 1/2 MOA capable with handloads it likes if I do my part.

Someone suggested flat base target bullets in the 50-55 grain range.  I agree for 100 yard groups. That will likely produce best accuracy at 100 yards with proper case prep and worked up handloads, but for now try to break in the barrel with some cheap ammo and switch to good match ammo and see if groups are better.

I’d not be surprised to hear that you have a lot of copper in the throat.  Use a good copper solvent like CR-10 or Butch’s Bore Shine.

https://riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire-maintenance/

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#41]
Before giving up on the barrel or when running a ladder of loads, if you have an optic that is parallax adjustable, try that.  Those 1-8X scopes are for combat accuracy, not precision bench rest shooting.  At 100 yards if you don’t sit perfectly in the eye box of a fixed parallax scope you could easily get a 0.5 MOA parallax error.

ETA, just noticed you tried a Vortex 6-24X.  I’d keep an optic like that on the upper for testing and load development if it has parallax adjustment.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top