Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2020 5:42:05 PM EDT
Anybody have recommendations for how to deal with the heat distortion with high powered scopes and a suppressor? It is quite bad on my AR 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
must dial down the magnification and get a cover for can
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Tactical Oven Mitt
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
must dial down the magnification and get a cover for can
View Quote

Reduce rate of fire.

Add a chamber chiller.

For a cover, the Armageddon Gear suppressor covers are my go to.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm shooting at a slow rate, only about 20 rounds an hour currently and having a big problem. Are suppressor manufacturers ok with using the covers?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Sucks doesn't it?

As others said, a suppressor cover is needed.  Ive got an Armageddon cover.  It works, dont know if its the best...never bought a different manufacturer.  They make great squeeze bags so I figured their covers must work too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Im knew to using a can but now I know what I need to do. Thanks guys for the great advice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Heinrocket:
I'm shooting at a slow rate, only about 20 rounds an hour currently and having a big problem. Are suppressor manufacturers ok with using the covers?
View Quote

I shoot mine with an IR thermometer when I'm trying for cold bore shots and it usually takes 10-15 minutes to cool all the way after even a single shot

Covers are no big deal...unless you're shooting with a rapid rate of fire then they will spontaneously combust or melt
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
shoot slower.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Silly question, but why not shoot without the silencer?  There is no way threading a muzzle and hanging several ounces off the end would be more accurate than a boring old crown.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GreenLocust:
why not shoot without the silencer?  
View Quote

Gross
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Joe731:

Gross
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe731:
why not shoot without the silencer?  

Gross

+2

So uncouth.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Actually they can be made to be very accurate and people who want less noise like them. Suppressors have their place.
View Quote
Less recoil plays a huge part in this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My main reason for using the suppressor is that the prairie dogs don't disappear as quickly when I use it. I have a KAC M110 lower with a KAC 6.5 Creedmor upper and a KAC suppressor. I made a metal shield for the barrel and brake and it did a good job of handling the mirage but that was a stop gap until I got an Armageddon cover for the suppressor. I shot with the cover in South Dakota last week and the cover seemed to work great...no issues with mirage at long distance with 35x power. Longest successful shot was 902 yards. I also got the Armageddon squeeze bag and was very happy with it. Thanks for the recommendations. Wish I had longer shot opps but the locations just didnt cooperate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Silly question, but why not shoot without the silencer?  There is no way threading a muzzle and hanging several ounces off the end would be more accurate than a boring old crown.
View Quote

That's where your wrong friendo.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 3:37:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FritzTKatt] [#22]
I'm fine with just a cover. Have a TAB gear on the omega 300 (shooting bolt action) and coletac HTP on the m4sd (semi auto).

If the mirage is still getting you bad, as suggested, going to have to use a mirage band.

You might also check out single loading, so when you're not engaging much, you can let that bolt stay open, and this will also keep your next round from soaking up that chamber heat. Yeah, it definitely defeats the purpose of a semi auto, but you'll run into those problems when using an auto loader in place of a manual action.

ETA: to greenlocust... usually a silencer doesn't change much, but I have had one lot of bulk ammo that shot like ass go from 7 to 5moa using a silencer. Shooting loud sucks, I try not to do it as much as possible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Found the loud poor.

If you haven’t shot suppressed you don’t know what you’re missing
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:

Found the loud poor.

View Quote

It isn't a matter of economics but of barrel harmonics.  It is an accuracy contest, not a lowest decibel contest or fashion show.  Hanging anything on a barrel hurts accuracy.  Threading a barrel hurts accuracy.  More heat is harder on a barrel than less heat.  What is normal accuracy in this discipline?  Perhaps the accuracy reduction doesn't affect scores enough to count.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
A temperature sleeve for your can will help.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#27]

It isn't a matter of economics but of barrel harmonics.  It is an accuracy contest, not a lowest decibel contest or fashion show.  Hanging anything on a barrel hurts accuracy.  Threading a barrel hurts accuracy.  More heat is harder on a barrel than less heat.  What is normal accuracy in this discipline?  Perhaps the accuracy reduction doesn't affect scores enough to count.
View Quote

How about increasing stability by reading the transition in pressures for the bullet (think barrel crown only better).
Increased velocity (25-50+fps is not abnormal).
Better ability to trace your own rounds.
Less movement between shots.
Adding stability to the platform.

Shoot head to head with someone shooting a can. I doubt you’ll see a difference you could attribute to harmonics barrel harmonics.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:22:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Raptor22] [#28]
Spammer, you are nowhere near Puerto Rico!
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

All I know is that my Grendel loses nothing except decibels when I shoot it with the can on it.  POI changes, but accuracy and precision do not.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:51:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#30]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:

Found the loud poor.

Are you telling me my Lilja match barrel is less accurate because Lilja threaded it and I attached a KAC M4QD flash hider?  

Someone for got to tell my barrel and the folks at Lilja.   It is sub 1/2 MOA capable with the FH in place.  I've not run it with the intended NT4 can yet (awaiting feds), but I don't see how the forward weight would affect accuracy - barrel harmonics will change point of impact, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top