Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2019 11:19:22 AM EDT
I currently own no bolt guns and have only had a basic 700 .308 previously.  Taking a long range 2 day class in March and need something more appropriate than my DPMS Recon 16” .308

I’m a huge semi auto fan and have many battle rifles and AR’s.  Trying to decide between a 6.5cr bolt gun and a 6.5cr AR10.  I will be running suppressed so 18-22 inch barrels is what I’m thinking.  SR25/DPMS mags are preferred because I have a bunch.

I have industry pricing setup from most of the companies I will mention:

The Fix by Q - love the looks and cool design.  Might be too light.  I’ve ready of heavy bolt lift, but this thing is sweet.  Only comes with a 16” barrel now but Q said I can choose proof research or another barrel length and they will work with me

Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle - very high quality, great trigger, carbon barrel available.  Not as cool as The Fix.

POF Revolution AR10 direct impingement - many amazing features that no other AR manufacturer offers.  20” fluted barrel is perfect and a great trigger.

Christensen Arms Modern Sporting Rifle AR10 - can get a carbon barrel, don’t know much about their accuracy

Modern Outfitters/Brace Built MC7 AR10 - can’t find too much info about this one, but looks great and has a carbon barrel option.

Suggest any others I should consider.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Also interested
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-6-5ba-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle/
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I lusted for a Fix the minute I saw a picture. Then I shot one. I chose an RPR over the Fix, and am very happy I did.

While it looks cool, it's not a good choice for what you want to do. It would be a good light hunting rifle. It's too light. Bolt lift and feeding issues are real.

Find a factory MPA rifle. Then go shoot

I'm on to my next project, Defiance, MPA build
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I owned a Fix and sold it. Don’t regret it. Not that it was a bad gun, it wasn’t, it just didn’t suit my style of shooting. If I was humping a rifle up a mountain to shoot a deer or elk, then it’s a great rifle. But for bench and prone shooting, it’s not.

I would suggest you look at a Seekins Havak or a Bergara HMR Pro, then use the extra money on glass.

My HMR Pro shot better than my fix.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-6-5ba-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle/
View Quote
This is what I got and have been tickled shitless with the results.  Just a great rifle and the Spencer barrels they're putting on them are excellent.  I've got 2,200 rounds threw mine and it just keeps shooting knots.

Then I built my end-all be-all semi-auto in 6.5cm.

OP really should get both.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you go the bolt route, I challenge you to find an unhappy tikka tac a1 owner,I love mine.As far as SA, have you looked at JP ?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rob78:

This is what I got and have been tickled shitless with the results.  Just a great rifle and the Spencer barrels they're putting on them are excellent.  I've got 2,200 rounds threw mine and it just keeps shooting knots.

View Quote
Are you going to tell us what your end-all be-all semi auto is?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By hartzpad:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rob78:

That's a laundry list of parts.

Mega matched upper and lower.
SLR handguard
JP FMOS BCG
Geissele HSNM
Kreiger 22" barrel (6.5cm)
SLR adjustable block
PWS brake
UBR (now a PRS) stock
Miad grip
Slash Heavy Buffer
Titanium take down pins (don't recall mfg)
Tubbs Flatwire spring
Atlas PSR bipod.
S&B PMII 5-25x56

It's a heavy bitch, but it shoots well. I'll shoot it when I'm letting my barrel cool on my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 2:15:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hk33] [#10]
I currently own no bolt guns and have only had a basic 700 .308 previously.  Taking a long range 2 day class in March and need something more appropriate than my DPMS Recon 16” .308

I’m a huge semi auto fan and have many battle rifles and AR’s.  Trying to decide between a 6.5cr bolt gun and a 6.5cr AR10.  I will be running suppressed so 18-22 inch barrels is what I’m thinking.  SR25/DPMS mags are preferred because I have a bunch.

I have industry pricing setup from most of the companies I will mention:

The Fix by Q - love the looks and cool design.  Might be too light.  I’ve ready of heavy bolt lift, but this thing is sweet.  Only comes with a 16” barrel now but Q said I can choose proof research or another barrel length and they will work with me

Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle - very high quality, great trigger, carbon barrel available.  Not as cool as The Fix.

POF Revolution AR10 direct impingement - many amazing features that no other AR manufacturer offers.  20” fluted barrel is perfect and a great trigger.

Christensen Arms Modern Sporting Rifle AR10 - can get a carbon barrel, don’t know much about their accuracy

Modern Outfitters/Brace Built MC7 AR10 - can’t find too much info about this one, but looks great and has a carbon barrel option.

Suggest any others I should consider.
View Quote
As others have mentioned, the Fix is kind of a specialized tool and if not used correctly is a little silly.  While those Ar10's that you mentioned are nice rifles, I think anybody who is interested in precision or long range should consider a nice bolt gun. I think from a practical stand point, a good 6.5cm Gas gun is pretty damn capable, but in terms of how comfortable they are to shoot and get behind, bolt guns are pretty damn cool.

you seem to be drawn towards to carbon barrels.  while they have proven to be as accurate as a traditional barrel, I am not sure how shootable they are for longer strings of fire or how they are in terms of recoil management.

Maybe Consider a Tikka t3x dropped into a chassis
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have this vision in my head:

Fix in 6.5
Nightforce NX8 in a Geissele mount
Atlas or KAC bipod

And I want this set up and yet stopping me are these post....and correct, mostly read about Fix owners liking for a while and then selling....

Never see and "fantastic" or "excellent rifle" comments....

I see more of the Fix is the answer to a nonexistent problem...

I was actually going to buy one this weekend

Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
I have this vision in my head:

I see more of the Fix is the answer to a nonexistent problem...

View Quote
Boom...

Getting ready to sell mine.  My Tikka TAC out shoots my 6.5 Fix all day long.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
If you really dig the fix take a look at the sig cross save u $$$

But I 3rd the mpa rifle or a jp 308 if u don't build one
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy an MPA, you will love the damn thing...I built mine, but if I had the money I would buy in a heartbeat...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Just my 2 cents, but I'd go with a 260 if going with a gas gun, or if you're going with a bolt rifle I'd go with a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Masterpiece Arms, it’s a no brainer.

Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Wait for awhile,  new Sig Cross is coming out for half the price.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I owned a Q and do not think it worth the coin.
Id pass on the AR10 as well.

Put a chassis on a Tikka t3x ctr Or just buy the tac A1 and you will have the most for your money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#20]
What about a Sako TRG in 6.5?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BCV:
I owned a Fix and sold it. Don’t regret it. Not that it was a bad gun, it wasn’t, it just didn’t suit my style of shooting. If I was humping a rifle up a mountain to shoot a deer or elk, then it’s a great rifle. But for bench and prone shooting, it’s not.

I would suggest you look at a Seekins Havak or a Bergara HMR Pro, then use the extra money on glass.

My HMR Pro shot better than my fix.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/275881/1D8882B4-C47D-41C2-8CD1-4FDFC26BFF16_jpeg-1207554.JPG
View Quote
My havak should be here the first or second week of April. Highly recommended. You can’t find more dollar per pound than the havak bravo which also you can do a carbon proof barrel
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m sure the masterpiece is awesome but I couldn’t drop that amount of money on a rifle made by the company that also makes mac10 clones

Be like buying a precision rifle from keltec
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#23]
If you decide to buy a Fix, make sure you have a can for it to mitigate the recoil since it’s such a light gun.  I have one of the first that hit the market with the Bartlein barrels and the gun is extremely accurate. The ones hitting the stores today have Green Mountain barrels and from what I’ve seen are good, but maybe not quite as good. As for the feeding issues, I have not experienced a single issue so I’m not sure how to comment on that. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By glocktalk:
I’m sure the masterpiece is awesome but I couldn’t drop that amount of money on a rifle made by the company that also makes mac10 clones

View Quote
The pros in PRS haven't had that issue. Out of the top 150 prs shooters. MPA was the most popular by a decent margin in 2019.
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/12/best-rifle-chassis-stocks/
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By glocktalk:

View Quote
The only thing they manufacture is the chassis and its accessories.  Spencer still makes the barrels, Curtis Custom still makes the actions.  By far the most popular chassis in PRS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By rugster:
Masterpiece Arms, it’s a no brainer.

https://i.loli.net/2020/01/04/IpFzjK9qgfDuw6t.jpg
View Quote

For what? Punching holes in paper?

That thing must be close to 30lbs
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hunter8793:

For what? Punching holes in paper? 

That thing must be close to 30lbs
View Quote

LOL..you should do some research, they actually build one of the lightest chassis on the market at 2.5 pds, complete...Even the chassis pictured can be as light as 3 pounds, depending on configuration...
My MPA chassis bolt rifle is a pig at 15 pounds, but it has as much to do with barrel profile(28" medium Palma Bartlein), the gen 2 razor 4.5-27-56 scope, and a few other choices I made specifically for it's intended use, and I could have easily selected similar components from the same makers and had it under 10 pounds...MPA builds some very very nice stuff at very reasonable prices...
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Check out a Sako TRG 22 in 6.5 creed at europtic. Great rifle out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
At $2500-3000 it is hard to beat a TRG for a general use precision rifle. They are not heavy compared to others, have a lot of adjustability while remaining very streamlined and easy to carry. Magazines also accommodate very long loaded OALs.

The MPA above is a pretty good suggestion if you want something more optimized for PRS/NRL matches.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#30]
A Sako TRG or my fav, a Tikka Tactical in any decent caliber will do very nicely for me.

I did run across a guy w/ a new FIX 6.5 and after admiring it mighty hard and examining a lot of the 'neat' features (and there's a few, to be sure) he was gracious enough  to let me, a complete stranger, shoot his new baby.

Oh my it was nice; that trigger is almost a religious experience but from a piece costing around 6K w/ glass, I'd expect no less.

Having had a week or so to consider, as cool as it is, I think I concur w/ the statement that it would be a very tough pkg to beat for real high country long shots. Sadly my knees won't get me to altitude anymore so I'm going to put $$$ into more components and shoot what I have. I've never owned anything as cool as this and likely never will but truthfully there's a lot of rifles which will shoot just as well, maybe better and, .at a better price point which is something I really identify with.

Yes, I'm cheap.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Knights.

While I like Q's offerings, I don't really feel like doing business with them and while their stuff is cool, you get a lot more benefit from knights for the $ spent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top