Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Grendel or valkyrie? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2018 6:28:30 PM EDT
I just got back from my first time shooting at 500 yards using my 556 Aero precision build and it was a lot of fun. The range also has a 1000 yard section that once I get more comfortable on the 500 Id like to try my hand at but I will be in need of a larger caliber. I plan on staying with the ar15 platform for cost reasons as I have a receiver set waiting for a barrel. So given that which should I save my lunch money for Grendel or the valkyrie for 1000 yards ringing steel?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:12:27 PM EDT
AR10...
Leave the pipsqueeks to the AR15.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:17:52 PM EDT
The Valkryie is the latest and greatest "Creedmore".
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2018 7:37:08 PM EDT by UnknownPatriot]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nick710:
View Quote
Burns barrels like a creedmore too (according to what I’ve read). That’s why I chose Grendel. Grendel reports I’ve read equal to 308 barrel life or better. I haven’t shot near enough out of mine... yet
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:39:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Nick710:
View Quote
It's funny -- Creedmoor offered .300WM ballistics without the punishing recoil, now Valkyrie is supposed to provide Creedmoor ballistics without the recoil...

Anyway Valkyrie still needs some proving out in various barrel lengths and environments. You can get factory rifles with barrels ranging from 18" to 24" so I'd say let some other folks maybe play around and see if 1000yds is a real number for consistent performance.

Grendel is a proven performance at 1000yds if your combination of barrel length, ammo, and DA tip you into the favorable part of the performance envelope. For example, 18" barrel shooting Hornady 123s at a DA of 4400+, or a 20+" barrel at lower DAs.

Both Valkyrie and Grendel need new bolt, barrel, and mags, so that's sort of a wash. Also, it's not really feasible to create Valkyrie rounds from 6.8 brass - I've asked around about this and it's a pain in the a**.

The most intriguing thing about Valkyrie for me is the possibility of using the LWRCi Six8 receiver set and 6.8-specific PMAGs. LWRCi is coming out with Valkyrie products, but again it's sort of wait and see. Grendel does not play well with the 6.8-specific PMAGs, unfortunately.

I guess bottom line, **it depends!**

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:52:53 PM EDT
^^^

I hope Valkyrie does well. Like you said I’ll be interested in what barrel length and what guys are actually finding at distance. Also interested in barrel life.

The Hornady 123gr Black eldm and 123gr Hornady American gunner have both been sold performers for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:57:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By UnknownPatriot:

Burns barrels like a creedmore too (according to what I’ve read). That’s why I chose Grendel. Grendel reports I’ve read equal to 308 barrel life or better. I haven’t shot near enough out of mine... yet
View Quote
Tell me more about how 26 grains of powder in a 224 bore has poor barrel life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:04:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Tell me more about how 26 grains of powder in a 224 bore has poor barrel life.
View Quote
+1

I'm running 25 grains in a .223 bolt gun and 24 in an AR. An extra grain or two will hardly turn it into a barrel burner.

I do not consider a 6.5 Creedmoor a barrel burner either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:26:00 PM EDT
Posted this in another thread as well...

“Cheaper to Shoot? Maybe, But Consider Barrel Life…
Cost considerations might also drive some PRS shooters to the .224 Valkyrie. Quality .22-Cal bullets definitely costless than match-grade 6.5 mm projectiles. Therefore, high-volume shooters may find the .224 Valkyrie more affordable to shoot. On the other hand, barrel life for the .224 Valkyrie will likely be shorter than with the 6.5 Creedmoor, so you may end up paying more in the long run. What you save on the cost of bullets you may have to invest in new barrels.”

(not sure how reputable this source is. Just found it on a google search.)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/11/new-hot-rod-224-valkyrie-cartridge-from-federal/
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:31:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

+1

I'm running 25 grains in a .223 bolt gun and 24 in an AR. An extra grain or two will hardly turn it into a barrel burner.

I do not consider a 6.5 Creedmoor a barrel burner either.
View Quote
Always read 2-3k is the spot where it begins with 6.5CM
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:36:35 PM EDT
If that article posted above is correct...

@ 1000y (that magical number for some reason) Valkyrie is a gain of 60 inches of drop and 27.2 inches of drift with 10mph wind over a 6.5grendel round in a small frame AR. That’s impressive as hell.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:42:41 PM EDT
This "build" is still in the brain storm phase by the time I have gathered the funds to buy one or the other there should plenty of data will be out on the valkyrie.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:31:31 PM EDT
Data that would be most relevant is energy retained on target (since you’re shooting steel) with 224 loads at your physical location. So much info is using the data from the box but MV is going to be impacted by atmosphere and elevation as well. The numbers federal has on the box are based on 24” barrel. Unsure their testing location.

I am waiting for more user feedback before I consider 224.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:13:21 PM EDT
Let the folks with deep pockets inform us poor folks what’s really going on. I don’t trust manufacturers reviews. Will be a few more months before folks get them in their hands. Then we can here it from the horses mouth. Am very intrigued myself on the Valkyrie but not in a 24 inch AR. Bolt will be good. If an 18 inch barreled AR version provides good ballistics, then I am considering the savage MSR or ordering an upper from someone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:24:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WillysJeep:
Data that would be most relevant is energy retained on target (since you’re shooting steel) with 224 loads at your physical location. So much info is using the data from the box but MV is going to be impacted by atmosphere and elevation as well. The numbers federal has on the box are based on 24” barrel. Unsure their testing location.

I am waiting for more user feedback before I consider 224.
View Quote
Agree. Lot of interest in 224 Valkyrie but feedback is sparse right now
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:57:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2018 7:34:50 AM EDT by SuperJlarge]

@ 1000y (that magical number for some reason) Valkyrie is a gain of 60 inches of drop and 27.2 inches of drift with 10mph wind over a 6.5grendel round in a small frame AR. That’s impressive as hell.
View Quote
And, the Valkyrie will still be supersonic at 1k plus. The grendel tends to go transonic around 850ish yards with most factory loads at my DA. I’m sure reloads can do better, as would shooting from a longer barrel at higher elevations, but it’s not an ideal 1k cartridge. Can it make the trip? Absolutely, but it’s not ideal.

I don’t see the Valkyrie as being a barrel burner. If I can get 3k rounds, I’d be happy since it’s a high performance cartridge. I’d be willing to guess that we’ll be able to get north of 4K from most barrels while still maintaining acceptable accuracy if the rate of fire isn’t too extreme. I think JP has a test rifle with close to 5k on it and it was still Sub MOA. Need to see if I can find that source.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:06:28 PM EDT
224 is still a largely unknown quantity as far as real world performance at long range. I keep seeing it touted as a 1300 yard cartridge because that's about where it goes subsonic, but a bullet going into the trans-sonic zone is really where the potential problems start. Also, since this is "6.5 Creedmoor ballistics w/o the recoil," who on earth is complaining about 6.5 CM recoil!? I can sort of see it for being able to spot your shots easier, but still. I hope this cartridge succeeds tremendously, but for now I will stick to my 223 Wylde and 6.5 Creedmoor stuff. With how affordable large frame ARs, nice bolt guns, and 6.5 CM ammunition has become, I can't imagine not going that route for a thousand yard rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:34:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2018 2:34:53 PM EDT by ricomnc]
Unless you have your heart set on pinging steel at 1000+ yds with a .224 bullet out of the AR platform the Grendel is a better choice.

However, unless you are consistently shooting at higher altitudes I would recommend a 22" or even 24" inch barrel.

If you are going to spend more than 50% of your time on the 1000 yd line I would move up to a 6.5 CM in a bolt gun. I don't shoot my 20" Grendel 1000 yds, but it does fine at 750.

My opinion, ymmv yada yada blah blah...
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2018 8:38:46 PM EDT by ARShooter91]
If you ever plan to hunt with it go with the 6.5.

Also shooting steel at long range with a .224 bullet isn't fun like larger calibers IMHO. It gets hard to hear the hits and doesn't move the target much so its like shooting paper at times.

The 123g ELD factory load goes subsonic around 1k where I'm at but I can still consistently get hits on a 16inch gong at 1100yards.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:19:53 PM EDT
Sounds like grendel is going to be my best option.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:22:19 PM EDT
Just for shooting steel, go Valkyrie.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:15:17 PM EDT
If you’re just target shooting at long range, and insist on doing it from a small frame AR, I’d get the V. That’s a very specific niche. If it’ll see some use killing things, like hunting, I’d much rather the Grendel. I’m building two G’s, and have no plans for any V’s.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:12:28 AM EDT
6.5 g if you plan on shooting it a lot,you can get 6.5g wolf ammo 500@130.00
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:23:40 AM EDT
We know what the G can do but there's still not a lot of info out there about the V. Claims of 1300 yards are out there but so are the reports about poor barrel life. I don't know what to tell you at this point. I have a G and would love to try a V but just don't have the guts to click "Buy" yet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:27:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sschefer:

We know what the G can do but there's still not a lot of info out there about the V. Claims of 1300 yards are out there but so are the reports about poor barrel life. I don't know what to tell you at this point. I have a G and would love to try a V but just don't have the guts to click "Buy" yet.
View Quote
The velocity and BC are known making a chart isn’t rocket science.

And how could it be a barrel burner with 26 grains of powder?
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:50:11 AM EDT
I'll tell you what I've learned reloading my 25 DTI (.257 in 6.8). Bullet selection is nice to have. there aren't a lot of .257 bullets in the range that a small frame AR would like, which will probably be the problem for the Valkyrie if you plan on using it for anything other than range shooting (hunting bullets might be a pain).

6.5 has a boat load of bullets across a wide range of weights and applications, and a huge headstart in load development.

Add bullet diameter into the equation, and your going to need a much longer barrel in a .223 platform to reach the same amount of powder burn diameter which will mean slower speeds in the same length barrel. Personally I'm not wanting a anything more than a 20" barrel in a small frame, which is probably the minimum I'd want in the Valkyrie.

I've got both barrels, but I'm in no hurry to start loading for the Valkyrie, but my Grendel goes with me to the range each time and got me a really nice red sheep in Texas last month.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:25:26 PM EDT
I'm on the fence because I need to rebarrel my G/lbc and I like using what works. And perhaps I don't understand what there is to understand. But the V is getting that 1300 yard supersonic moniker from a 24" barrel correct? Well, a bit more of an apples to apples comparison would be to barrel a G to 24" and run the ballistics again. Don't get me wrong, I like high BC bullets going fast and all. But It would seem right now that there isn't an appreciable difference with the same barrel length. Kenetic energy seems better with the G. Or what am I missing? I also like hearing the steel when hit, something that at 600 yards I barely hear with MK262 and can't imagine hearing anything at all at 1000. G hits just loud enough. I guess I need to squeeze a few rounds off on one at distance myself to get the comparison.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:20:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

The velocity and BC are known making a chart isn’t rocket science.

And how could it be a barrel burner with 26 grains of powder?
View Quote
What is the pressure curve for 224V?

Powder capacity doesn't necessarily equal barrel burner, neither really does velocity.

Thats why the low pressure 6.5 rounds like Grendel and SAUM have decent barrel life, pressure is at or below 308 levels.

As to V vs G, I could go either way but I have about 5k 6.5 bullets sitting around so I went with a Grendel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 9:23:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Evile:
I just got back from my first time shooting at 500 yards using my 556 Aero precision build and it was a lot of fun. The range also has a 1000 yard section that once I get more comfortable on the 500 Id like to try my hand at but I will be in need of a larger caliber. I plan on staying with the ar15 platform for cost reasons as I have a receiver set waiting for a barrel. So given that which should I save my lunch money for Grendel or the valkyrie for 1000 yards ringing steel?
View Quote
Do you reload?

6mm AR Turbo 40* or the Fat Rat
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:41:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
I keep seeing it touted as a 1300 yard cartridge because that's about where it goes subsonic, but a bullet going into the trans-sonic zone is really where the potential problems start.
View Quote
Its 1300 yards out of a 24" barrel. The G/LBC I shoot is 18", and is transonic at 930 yards. My elevation is 700 feet. Throw a 24" barrel in it, and the gap between the two is not far a part at all. That, and Im stable through the transonic barrier. So it may be a niche caliber after all, especially if you already own a G. I'm waiting for more data to come out before re-barreling. The 95 SMK is intriguing..
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2018 11:33:28 PM EDT by HaveBlue83]
doubled up
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:33:03 PM EDT
i have shot .223 to 1k with a 16" Mk12 and a .420 sierra TMK 75gr otm pill at 2700fps. i have flipped clay pigeons at 1050yds with it.

this rifle is an 80gr ELD with a bc of .495 (yippieee!!!) through a 20" bison at 2800fps non compressed load shooting as tight as my mk12 does.

the .223 is 16min to 600yds.
the .224 valk is 12.

this round is gonna slay 1k. i jumped on the train and im happy i did. its .6gr bigger charge than my .223 using the same powder. zero pressure signs as well.

Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2018 11:56:36 PM EDT by Vespid_Wasp]
I was all set to build a Grendel and started really comparing trajectories, retained velocity, and wind drift, and if you don't care about killing animals with it, then the Grendel advantages over 223 Wylde were marginal IMHO, when you factor in cost.

Adding the capability to reload for the Grendel was part of my cost figures, so it may pencil out differently if you are buying all your ammo. I was already setup with everything for 223.

So then I looked at the 224V. It definitely offered some performance advantages. But as I am in the midst of a foray into PRS Gas Gun, where distance is maxed out at 800 yards, and a cartridge other than 223 would have me in open division vs. 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10s.....

I pussed out again and went with a 223.

But I know that I can't stay supersonic to 1k. I'm ok with it. 1k is a round number. So is 800.

If you must get to 1k, I think the 224V will get you there better than the Grendel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:00:09 AM EDT
u can 1k all day with .223, even a 16" one.....but u must run a tmk for mag length to stay super, or single feed 80s.

6.5 pills are a bump up from any .224 price. its $19/100 eld 80. just sayin
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:08:54 PM EDT
Grendel if you are shooting stuff that you intend to eat. Otherwise. Meh, take your pick.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:28:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OTTOSEAR:
AR10...
Leave the pipsqueeks to the AR15.
View Quote
Ha ha! I have both large frame .260 and many AR15 Grendels. This is from my 17.6" Lilja Wasp lightweight profile Grendel at 1000yds, rapid-fired with just the 123gr AMAX. .260 is definitely flatter and faster to the target, but the penalties you pay for performance really come into their own at ELR for me.

What I found was that you add 150-250yds of practical supersonic performance when stepping up to a .260 Rem or 6.5CM, with the Grendel already supersonic to 1200yds with good bullets. That is comparing my 22" Grendel with 22" .260 Rem. gas guns.

Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:31:35 PM EDT

View Quote
Now run those comparisons with the 130gr Nosler RDF, .615 G1/.307 G7 BC.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:34:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:
If you ever plan to hunt with it go with the 6.5.

Also shooting steel at long range with a .224 bullet isn't fun like larger calibers IMHO. It gets hard to hear the hits and doesn't move the target much so its like shooting paper at times.

The 123g ELD factory load goes subsonic around 1k where I'm at but I can still consistently get hits on a 16inch gong at 1100yards.
View Quote
I brought this up with one of the proponents of Valkyrie at SHOT.

He said to just use steel targets with lights that indicate impacts.

If you want the best 1000yd performance from the AR15, the 6mm AR or 6mm AR Turbo are where it's at. Unfortunately, there are no factory options for it yet, so you need to re-size and fire-form.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:37:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BravoSierra:
I'm on the fence because I need to rebarrel my G/lbc and I like using what works. And perhaps I don't understand what there is to understand. But the V is getting that 1300 yard supersonic moniker from a 24" barrel correct? Well, a bit more of an apples to apples comparison would be to barrel a G to 24" and run the ballistics again. Don't get me wrong, I like high BC bullets going fast and all. But It would seem right now that there isn't an appreciable difference with the same barrel length. Kenetic energy seems better with the G. Or what am I missing? I also like hearing the steel when hit, something that at 600 yards I barely hear with MK262 and can't imagine hearing anything at all at 1000. G hits just loud enough. I guess I need to squeeze a few rounds off on one at distance myself to get the comparison.
View Quote
There was one of the shooters who did initial testing with Valkyrie who admitted that they got supersonic to 1300yds in South Dakota, and much less supersonic reach down in Georgia at sea level.

I ran the numbers immediately when I saw the Valkyrie, and noticed that no matter what I did, it wasn't supersonic to 1300yds at sea level. Still no slouch though, and a great cartridge design with very easy spotting through the reticle.

For really small bores, the 6mm is the one to beat from small case capacities that fit in the AR15.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:40:24 PM EDT
Since I already have about 500 used G cases, perhaps 6AR would be better money. =)
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:23:37 AM EDT
i have an extra 5.56 can sitting around doing nothing, gives me an excuse to build a 224v for it
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2018 2:51:00 PM EDT by HaveBlue83]
federal 100pc brass just hit the market....
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 3:18:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2018 3:18:41 PM EDT by helogene]
I can't believe no one has said it yet....

GET BOTH!!!!!

I would get/build the 6.5G now.....

Then in a few months time, get the .224V.....

But, that's just ME.....
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:38:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Now run those comparisons with the 130gr Nosler RDF, .615 G1/.307 G7 BC.
View Quote
Except I have yet to meet anybody that has gotten those bullets to shoot. I have seen them magically turn sub 1/2 MOA guns into 2 MOA guns.

Agree with the 6mm rounds being ideal for the AR-15. The highest BC bullets will not feed in an AR-10 but work just fine with the 15. Buddy of mine is using 110 SMK out of his fat rat and is close to 2800 with those.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:50:04 AM EDT
Not sure this has been asked yet, but which one is the better option for folks who rely on factory loads, not handloads. I’m kind of leaning toward the 224V since I already have a 6.8 SPC (lots of PRI mags). Everyone is quick to shoot down the 6.8 but when I decided on it years ago, the 6.5G was still new and definitely didn’t have the options that it does today. My 6.8 has proven to be an exceptional hunting rig and is sub MOA out to 400 yards. So don’t really need another hunting caliber AR.

The Grendel is intriguing but I think the V would be the more practical long range fun gun. Maybe a good varmint AR too?
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2018 10:50:31 PM EDT by UnknownPatriot]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Not sure this has been asked yet, but which one is the better option for folks who rely on factory loads, not handloads. I’m kind of leaning toward the 224V since I already have a 6.8 SPC (lots of PRI mags). Everyone is quick to shoot down the 6.8 but when I decided on it years ago, the 6.5G was still new and definitely didn’t have the options that it does today. My 6.8 has proven to be an exceptional hunting rig and is sub MOA out to 400 yards. So don’t really need another hunting caliber AR.

The Grendel is intriguing but I think the V would be the more practical long range fun gun. Maybe a good varmint AR too?
View Quote
I’ve been shooting 2 hornady 6.5grendel factory rounds.

123gr American gunner at $139 per 200rds and 123gr eldm for around $15 per 20rds.

Both rounds have shot exceptionally well for me. 18” LaRue. That’s not to say Valkyrie doesn’t have excellent factory loads. I just don’t have any experience.

Eta: One of the ranges I have gone to for years has 5 bulldozer teeth hanging at 400y. I would shoot 308 and 556 at them. It was always a challenge for me. Never could shoot all 5 clean. Last 2 trips I shot all 5 of them clean. No time limit. I’d say under a min though. Last time I used the American gunner ammo. Time before the eldm. Not like it’s super impressive. I just like knowing I can do it and it’s fun.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:46:17 PM EDT

View Quote
I would wait and see how the Valkyrie develops. I still prefer my 6.8 for hunting over my Grendel. I'm now working with 6mm wildcats. The Valkyrie has a lot of potential and you already have the mags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:47:18 AM EDT

View Quote
The 6.5G is definitely more fun to shoot steel with at longer ranges. The 6.5G has lower priced match ammo as well.
The 224 would probably suit you well with your 6.8 investments.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 3:06:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2018 3:07:03 AM EDT by Effenpig]
Anybody else thinking a LWRC six8 lower would be perfect for a .224 V build?

I'd like to see what some of the heavier/longer bullets would do loaded out to 2.3+"
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:05:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Effenpig:
Anybody else thinking a LWRC six8 lower would be perfect for a .224 V build?

I'd like to see what some of the heavier/longer bullets would do loaded out to 2.3+"
View Quote
The PRi 6.8 mags should be good for ~2.3" in a standard lower.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:41:53 AM EDT
definitely makes sense to go .224V if one is already tooled for 6.8.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Grendel or valkyrie? (Page 1 of 2)
Top Top