Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 8:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: benb]
For the last few years I have been continually trying to improve my snow-camping skills. One area that always seems to come up short is gloves... If I touch snow at all (digging it for camp, getting up after shooting, etc) my glove always ends up a sponge after a few hours.

I am thinking of either trying some neoprene duck hunting gloves or just wearing a pair of rubber gloves over fleece gloves when I touch snow.

Before I try that I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for waterPROOF gloves that have just enough insulation to keep my hands from going numb when working with snow, but thin enough to shoot in? Also, if anybody has any comments about wearing rubber gloves over thin fleece gloves or neoprene hunting gloves I would be interested.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I found the best glove for me in cold wet conditions was a pair I found in a farm supply store that had reflective plastic woven through the fabric. They weren't bulky at all, and with a minimum of activity, my hands stayed war even in 20* weather when I was holding metal pieces that were that cold too. Of course, I'll could never find them for sale again anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a trip to your friendly ski shop.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
What's snow?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Trigger finger mittens, we used to use bread bags to keep the water off of them, I used them in Europe when it as in the minus 20s f.
Oh yeah, and you can shoot with them on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
i use a combination of under armor glove liners and swamy skiing gloves

there may be comparable brands of a compression-style glove liner and a skiing glove that may be more or less $$$ and work just as well, but that's what I have and that combo keeps my hands warm in freezing rain/snow/sleet etc
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Aviator's Nomex under Hunter's mittens, with back-up Nomex.

Have taken those into the Arctic in -40 even.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
In my area the fact that it is not normally much below freezing (in the 20s) makes snow a pain to deal with. When it is super cold the snow stays solid when it is on your gloves, but around here it melts and absorbs into your gloves.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you tried ice fishing gloves?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I kinda found the gloves I was remembering. 35* Below gloves on amazon. Technically glove liners but they held up to my light duty.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
This last winter I just used thin/dexterous gloves and kept OR shell mittens on my wrists that I could put over the gloves if I wanted a little more warmth or I needed to handle snow. I only used them when it was 0deg out (colder than normal for here), but it seemed like I could keep my thin gloves dry this way and if they did get wet I could dry them quickly since they were 2 thin layers instead of one thick one. I imagine this would work well with the warmer snow too, but I have not had a chance to test it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top