Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2019 2:40:32 PM EDT
At the end of November I made a wild impulse buy.  Ever had a firearm scream at you while you to buy it?   I got a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5mm Creedmore.  No idea why I did it, but it is done and I am going to run with it.  When I purchased the rifle I got three boxes of Federal Non typical White Tail 140 grain Soft Point bullets.  They were least expensive they had on the shelf and I figured that I could use them for the initial scope sighting and practice.  I never did this type of shooting before.

So I am looking at the box reading the ballistics table.  I noticed something that seemed weird to me.  At 500 yards, the round retains 65.9% of it's velocity but only 43.5% of it's energy.  This has me scratching my head a bit.  There is this whole F=MA sort of thing I learned in physics and this does not seem to fit.  I know that I am missing something.  Loss of potential energy as the round drops in flight?  My old retired engineering mind is curious.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
a is acceleration, not velocity

might have to use the deceleration of the round to determine the energy lost

that decel would change depending on various things, including drag, ballistic coeff, ect

im sure someplace out there there are some differential equations to calculate an estimate
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
E=m(v^2)/2.  Energy is lost as a function at the square of velocity lost.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
E=m(v^2)/2.  Energy is lost as a function at the square of velocity lost.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
That's why BC rules and speed drools.....not exactly sure what the means but always said it about shit as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:27:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
That's why BC rules and speed drools.....not exactly sure what the means but always said it about shit as a kid.
View Quote
"MV is a depreciating asset, whereas BC, like diamonds, is forever."
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

"MV is a depreciating asset, whereas BC, like diamonds, is forever."
View Quote
BC is not forever. What is advertised is (besides inflated) "the best we can come up with that matches the real world".

From what I understand, BC is an instantaneous measurement. I.e every instant, it has changed. When a bullet is at 1000fps, it has a higher BC than the next instant where it is 999fps. Instants are just that, they have to be weighted and averaged to provide information that is useful on the human scale.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Energy is proportional to the square of the velocity.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Point is, greater BC and mass = less energy loss
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gaweidert:
At the end of November I made a wild impulse buy.  Ever had a firearm scream at you while you to buy it?   I got a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5mm Creedmore.  No idea why I did it, but it is done and I am going to run with it.  When I purchased the rifle I got three boxes of Federal Non typical White Tail 140 grain Soft Point bullets.  They were least expensive they had on the shelf and I figured that I could use them for the initial scope sighting and practice.  I never did this type of shooting before.

So I am looking at the box reading the ballistics table.  I noticed something that seemed weird to me.  At 500 yards, the round retains 65.9% of it's velocity but only 43.5% of it's energy.  This has me scratching my head a bit.  There is this whole F=MA sort of thing I learned in physics and this does not seem to fit.  I know that I am missing something.  Loss of potential energy as the round drops in flight?  My old retired engineering mind is curious.

View Quote
For that rifle, please try some Hornady 140 ELD-M. WAY better accuracy, BC, etc. The rifle was built around that bullet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#11]
Originally Posted By gaweidert:

View Quote
You're conflating force, momentum and energy. They're not the same thing. Energy is the capacity to do work. Force changes momentum (actually does work). Momentum is amount of motion in a moving body, whereas force is an action of push or pull. Force does not change for constant acceleration whereas momentum changes with constant acceleration. Momentum increases with time for an applied force and increases linearly with speed. Energy increases as the square of the speed. You may also be conflating acceleration and velocity. The two are nothing near the same thing.

This is the normal outcome of having taken a single physics class early in life, like in high school, and then having exactly zero uses for that information for decades. Ya forget some of the important details.

Force = mass * acceleration
energy = mass * velocity^2
momentum = mass * velocity

acceleration = deltaV / deltaT (aka, (old velocity - new velocity) / (old time - new time))
Velocity = deltaS / delta T (aka (old speed - new speed) / (old time - new time))
Speed = distance / time

HTH.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGH456E] [#12]
OP:
Are you sure this isn't just a typo error in printing the label up?  
Because regardless the equation etc you use the relationship between velocity and energy remains the same as both decay during flight.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raverill] [#13]
Second to last column shows energy loss in 6.5mm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top