Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 9:38:08 PM EDT
Hey guys ive got a bit of an issue I hope you can help with.  Im working on my first precision AR.  Ive got an Odin Works 20 inch DMR profile 6.5 grendel barrel which came with their adjustable gas block.

Today the Aero Precision Atlas rail showed up so i did a quick mock up to see if the parts fit.

The top portion of the gas block where the gas tube goes in touches the rail.  I figure I can fix this problem with a smaller non adjustable gas block.  Im still concerned that there will not be enouch clearance for a precision build.

Did I mess up buying a slim rail for a precision rifle?(interior diameter is listed at 1.3 inchs)
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Had the same issue and my OCD wouldn't let me keep it on, mine barely touched where it clamped around the barrel. Went with bcm low pro and cleaned it up. Doubt it would of made much of a difference.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reaponse. What rail did you have an issue on?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Bcm kmr and vltor clamp low pro. Very small corner touched the rail.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
This is one of those cases where you can't really see it, nobody would ever know it and it won't affect anything but you know it so it bugs the heck out of you. So, measure the inside diameter of your handguard and then go find one that is slightly larger. If you want to go with a really nice handguard that can clear just about anything you want you can go with a JP Rifle, those have a 1-3/4 ID after you add on their proprietary rails where you need them. I'm pretty sure that Noveske has a large and small also.

Having bought a few of the wrong handguards I now only buy them when they show the specs so I know what I'm getting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:15:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjm2022] [#5]
Do you think a non adjustable smaller gas block is also a fix?

ETA: How much clearance do I need between rail and gas block?  The new one doesnt touch am i GTG?  How much does the barrel actually whip?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you can go with a smaller gas block. The barrel does not whip it simply vibrates at some order of harmonic. If the barrel is tight and the handguard is tight there wont be any wear on your current gas block. If you've installed the gas block correctly it's not going anywhere. I use two piece JP gas blocks and I don't use Loctite or pin them and they never move.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Try filing it down. Thats what I had to do to make a 936 gas block fit under a slim hand guard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the input.  I already ordered a much smaller non adjustable but i think ill hit the odin adjustable one with a file and see how that works out. I will update you guys and post some pictures when I'm done
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Subscribed for update. Looking to use Odin adjustable with Atlas rail on a 308 build.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
an ID of 1.3?  That's tight.  Superlative Arms makes good small AGBs, there's a specsheet in the part description.  Aero makes gas blocks too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 4:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top