Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2021 1:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN]
So I just finished (or about to finish) my first and probably last bed job.

All in all in turned out...ok. I used the score high kit with pillars.

My question is, how much of the front of the lug/barrel can or should be bedded? I was going for 1/16-1/8" but it turned into more like 1/2

Can I just sand it down so it's lower than the reciever portion?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
You talking in front of the lug under chamber? Some go out 1-1.5”. Won’t hurt anything.
View Quote

Ya. Wasn't sure if it would hurt accuracy. It looks like a lot of the dudes in the videos I watched had little to none.

I guess I'll just leave it alone then.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Easy_E] [#4]
Shoot it and see !

Edit to add use some vinyl tape around the shank in front of the lug . We sell some two inch wide red sheathing tape bedding won't stick to and two wraps are enough clearance .
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#5]
Depends on the barrel diameter and lug thickness.

2 - 2 1/2 inches would be OK for a Remington 5 1/2 Varmint taper or Sendero with a Tubb lug.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
Shoot it and see !

Edit to add use some vinyl tape around the shank in front of the lug . We sell some two inch wide red sheathing tape bedding won't stick to and two wraps are enough clearance .
View Quote

I used masking tape. The bedding looks good, the anesthetics not so much. Wish I had researched more on what tape to use. It got in under the tape and locked it in place. I sanded and filed some to get a lot of it off, but it's still there. Oh well. If it shoots good I'll probably just spray it/camo it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Depends on the barrel diameter and lug thickness.

2 - 2 1/2 inches would be OK for a Remington 5 1/2 Varmint taper or Sendero with a Tubb lug.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/700V_jpg-2128899.JPG
View Quote

Ya it's a 26" varmint. Sounds like I might actually be glad it oozed under the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top