Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2022 4:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: airman48]
Finished my Aero Precision M5E1 6.5 CM rifle with a 22" fluted barrel. I Initially zeroed the rifle at the range at 100 yards using a Arken Optics EP-5 5-25 x 56 scope using Freedom Munitions 140gr 6.5 CM HPBT Match. My initial groups where good, the tightest being about 1"

I used Freedom Munitions 6.5 CM because it was affordable at about $37.99 for a box of 20. I've heard a lot of negative feedback about Freedom Munitions but I did some research and found that Freedom Munitions has recently gone through a sale to a new owner and reorganization and that its putting out a better product now than it used to. I read a post on Snipershide fourm that said this.

Freedom Munitions’ 6.5 Creedmoor round in 140gr, which has a Sierra MatchKing HPBT bullet, is pretty damn good. Not quite as good as Hornady ELD-M, but the difference in price more than compensates.

That’s my conclusion after shooting about 400 rounds of it out of my AXSR this week with Jacob Bynum from Rifles Only. It is sub-MOA accurate to at least 700 yards, after which the main accuracy issue is my breathing, not the cartridge.

Freedom Munitions ammo today is, the company told me, very different from (and much better than) what it used to be. The Freedom Munitions brand came under new ownership in late 2019, when KA Cash Inc. bought the brand and certain assets out of bankruptcy. Had a long call yesterday with Trevor, FM’s head of ballistics and QC. He says the new owners changed the strategy, the business, the production process, and staff. Sounds like over time since 2019, they have developed a high-quality load in this 6.5 CM 140gr cartridge.

It’s worth giving their stuff a try.
View Quote
View Quote

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/freedom-munitions-6-5-creedmoor.7075811/

Also what bullet weight would be better 123gr or 140 gr within 600 yards?

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
My Savage Axis hates 129gr, but likes 140-143gr.  Best to just trial a bunch of different rounds.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGH456E] [#2]
Further down on this page:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/M118LR-Buyer-Beware-Freedom-Mun-M118LR-/7-12183/

That was from May.
So they were sold in the past 6 months and have turned around in quality?
Ok.

FWIW I use 123's in 6.5 ......... But not FM ammo, handloads instead.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing to add but you should really do a search for FM kabooms before you open your wallet. I want your stick to reamain in one piece.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:25:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohhnyCobra] [#4]
What is the “go to” in off the shelf bulk 6.5 creedmoor right now?
I have some Aguila but it’s not great. Not terrible either..

Edit - I like 140gr in my 18” Faxon big gunner barreled armalite.

I tend to want to like heavier bullets in most chamberings except in things like 6.8spc / Grendel,
But that’s probably a mental bias
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top