Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2021 4:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter]
I have a Steiner GS3 2-10x42 optic with a German #4 reticle that I'm planning to mount atop my Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine in .308, and am trying to purchase scope caps/lens covers for it that aren't those awful Butler Creeks.  I emailed Steiner, and they reported that the outer objective bell diameter is 49.5mm and the eyepiece is 44.25mm.  

Normally I seem to buy Leupold and get the Alumina scope covers, as they're sturdy, slim, and useful.  However, this optic isn't threaded on both ends (only the objective end, not the eyepiece), so that's wouldn't an option even if it was threaded the same.

After much searching and researching, I stumbled across Aadland and Tenebraex.  My optic and dimensions are not represented in any matched pairs or fit charts.  

When I emailed Aadland, they needed measurements to the nearest .001" of: The objective bell outside diameter.  For the eyepiece we need the diameter of both the eyepiece housing, the diameter of the fast focus ring (if equipped) as well as how far the fast focus protrudes from the ocular housing lengthwise when screwed all the way in.  I don't have access to my calipers, and even if I did they're still cheapies.

When I emailed Tenebraex, they said they don't have anything to fit that optic or those dimensions.  Rats.

So, to the kind denizens of the optics forum:  do you know of any scope caps/lens covers that will fit the Steiner GS3 2-10x42 optic if the outer objective bell diameter is 49.5mm and the eyepiece is 44.25mm (as per the manufacturer)?  And if so, can you share their specific part number and/or UPC, so I can try to locate/order them "ala carte", since there doesn't seem to already be a matched product pair for it?

I know my setup isn't so much of a "precision rifle" setup, but I know that y'all know optics and maintain your gear.  My rifle setup is $3500, which is a decent amount of money to me, and the idea of protecting my optic's lenses with a $5 Butler Creek garbage makes me think that surely there's something better that will fit my scope.

ETA:  I'm an idiot, the rear iron on my rifle means a flip up cover won't work.  

I installed the ordered flip ups on a different rifle so they wouldn't go to waste.  Any recommendations for a neoprene or bikini type item, or are they all the same?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Take a look at the Vortex Defender caps. They have a flexible lip attachment so they can form to the scope. Check the specific sizes for their ranges.

https://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/accessories.html
View Quote
So even though at first glance they appear to be just an expensive version of the Butler creek, they work better?

I might have to go this route.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:17:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#4]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
So even though at first glance they appear to be just an expensive version of the Butler creek, they work better?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Take a look at the Vortex Defender caps. They have a flexible lip attachment so they can form to the scope. Check the specific sizes for their ranges.

https://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/accessories.html

They are significantly better than BC caps.  I’ve never broken a defender, certainly can’t say the same about BC.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Aadland are not even on the same planet as BC or other junk heaps.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#6]

Much better and they won't break if you look at them. I have broken more Butler Creeks than I care to remember and have been using these since they came out and they work great. The price is not bad either. They also lay flat against the scope so they don't stick up to get in the way or caught on anything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/fd2-984751.jpg
View Quote

Originally Posted By RJeff21:

They are significantly better than BC caps.  I've never broken a defender, certainly can't say the same about BC.
View Quote
I feel like I've broken enough BCs by just looking at them in their packaging to know to not trust them for anything I value.  

Good to know these hold up, I think I'm going to order a set after hitting "reply".
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Aadland are not even on the same planet as BC or other junk heaps.
View Quote
That was the conclusion most people seemed to reach regarding them.  I was really hoping that the manufacturer's specs would be enough, but alas they are not precise enough.

If I don't like these Vortex ones, I guess I can always try to upgrade after I get a reliable enough set of calipers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I got in the vortex covers, and they seem decently well designed.

However, I ran into problems when I got them attached to the scope, in that my front lens cap cannot open because it hits the rear iron sight.  D'oh

Now I guess I'll see if the rear works on my Trijicon Accupoint, and order a front if it does.  It's not worth the $15 of return shipping costs for $40 of merchandise after I had to open the packaging
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Or turn it sideways?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:24:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#10]
How badly does it hit? Could  some Dremel work on the cap make it clear enough to open?
View Quote
It hits badly enough that dremeling it out would make the front cover look buck-toothed, with about a 1/2" by 1/2" square out of the bottom.  Like this .  I also don't own a dremel, on purpose (since I own firearms and don't want to become a dremel-smith).

Wouldn't taking out that much of a chunk somewhat compromise the rest of it?  It would still be more covered than not, but I would wonder that it might not seal.
Originally Posted By mi650:
Or turn it sideways?
View Quote
The cap can only move about 1" before coming into contact with the rear iron.  I don't think turning it sideways would allow it to clear the rear with how soon in its rotation it hits.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered a smaller objective lens cover, and put them on my Accupoint 1-4x24 that's on top of my CZ527FS.  They're mounted sideways so that the caps don't obstruct the light-gathering fiber optic, not because they hit the rear iron.

This experience makes me glad I didn't order Aadland equipment, only to find out then that the problem for my plan is behind the stock .

Any good non-flip up scope cover recommendations?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#12]
Any good non-flip up scope cover recommendations?  
View Quote

There are a bunch of bikinis out there. Check out here and see what fits.  

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-Accessories.aspx

Given the intended scope, check it's diameters and see what matches yours.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Big fan of the Vortex Defender caps...Butler Creek were junk and broke...
The Vortex have  been very durable and I like how the lay flat when opened.
and at a price point that makes me happy....
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the Vortex mentions.  Out of stock at V, but available and cheaper at Brownells.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#16]
About 75% of my optics have BC flips, but I recently tried out these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07666WR4D

and won't use BC flips anymore.  I also have some of the Vortex ones, and they are pretty much the same as the ones I just posted, but considerably more expensive.  Same rubber attachment method.  The only issue with the ones I posted was that the fit on 56mm objective lenses - even with their largest size - was a tad bit too small - but that could have just been the scope body.  All in all, hands-down the best scope caps for the price.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
About 75% of my optics have BC flips, but I recently tried out these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07666WR4D

and won't use BC flips anymore.  I also have some of the Vortex ones, and they are pretty much the same as the ones I just posted, but considerably more expensive.  Same rubber attachment method.  The only issue with the ones I posted was that the fit on 56mm objective lenses - even with their largest size - was a tad bit too small - but that could have just been the scope body.  All in all, hands-down the best scope caps for the price.
View Quote

I've used quite a few of the Monstrum caps, for the same reason you did.

I've found they have a tendency to split.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I buy Aadmount. More expensive but worth the money IMO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Did Monstrum replace them for you?
View All Quotes

I've used quite a few of the Monstrum caps, for the same reason you did.

I've found they have a tendency to split.

Did Monstrum replace them for you?

I haven't even asked.

For <$10, figured they were disposable.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#21]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Just wondering as if you did break the Vortex ones they replace them for you. I have had sets since they came out and none have broken yet.
View All Quotes

I haven't even asked.

For <$10, figured they were disposable.

Just wondering as if you did break the Vortex ones they replace them for you. I have had sets since they came out and none have broken yet.

I have a few of those, too, but they rarely fit right.

I usually have to put tape under them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#24]
The Vortex ones are very well made, unlike the Buttler Creek ones.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
The Vortex ones are very well made, unlike the Buttler Creek ones.
View Quote
Yes, but there is very little difference - almost none - between the Vortex ones and the Monstrum ones other than the price and the logo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Because of the variable fit that can happen depending on the scope sizes but a little fix without tape is to put a little hair spray on your finger and rub on the inside of the rubber part and then install it and let it set over night. It will hold much better and still come off and won’t damage the scope.
View All Quotes

I have a few of those, too, but they rarely fit right.

I usually have to put tape under them.

Because of the variable fit that can happen depending on the scope sizes but a little fix without tape is to put a little hair spray on your finger and rub on the inside of the rubber part and then install it and let it set over night. It will hold much better and still come off and won’t damage the scope.

Never heard of that one.

But, I've been buying better caps lately anyway.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Works great but if buying better caps like Aadlands then you won’t need it but also spending 3 times the price.
View All Quotes

Never heard of that one.

But, I've been buying better caps lately anyway.

Works great but if buying better caps like Aadlands then you won’t need it but also spending 3 times the price.

True, but Vortex and/or Monstrum don't go too well on pricey scopes.  

I need to see if the new MKMs will fit my Leicas.  Aadlands and Tenebraex don't.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Well ran crappy BCs on my S&Bs for years when no other options LOL Broke multiples a year so glad to get better options.
View All Quotes

True, but Vortex and/or Monstrum don't go too well on pricey scopes.  

I need to see if the new MKMs will fit my Leicas.  Aadlands and Tenebraex don't.

Well ran crappy BCs on my S&Bs for years when no other options LOL Broke multiples a year so glad to get better options.

Amen!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#31]
Attachment Attached File

About this image.  A couple non-flip cap questions:

Can anyone tell me what is on the foreend of this rifle?

Does it do anything much beyond occupy space and (I think) provide a couple rounds of ammo storage (on each side)?

I can understand the stock pad, which can hold rounds, a drop card, and be a cheek cushion.

Also, it looks like he is shooting a short fat round, and is part of Hornady.  Comparing it to his finger, its shorter than .308.

What caliber do you think it is?  6.5G?  6mm ARC?

Oh, and does the Hornady sticker/decal really change levels or did it shift because of the lens shade?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:08:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#32]
Originally Posted By JohnCarter17:
View All Quotes
The thing on the side is a Short Action Precision 2 round holder.

Does it do anything much beyond...  provide a couple rounds of ammo storage (on each side)?
No and usually it is only on 1 side of the rifle - the side action opens to for easy / quick loading of a round or 2 in a pinch usually during competition of maybe hunting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:32:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#33]
OK, I actually thought that was part of the big tan/coyote piece forward of the rounds.   That is what I was asking about.

But now that I know those exist I will grab one for my CTR in .223.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:37:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#34]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top