Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2023 12:43:15 PM EDT
In the process of building my first 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. Starting out with exactly ZERO 6.5CM ammo. Usually when I build a 308 or 223 rifle, I will run 10 or more different factory loads through it to test which is most accurate, then that particular load becomes “the one” I use with that rifle or upper. I have a pretty varied stash of 308 and 223 to chose from, but no 6.5.

To save me from wasting $$ on a bunch of options that are not likely to work, I’m hoping someone who has shot a lot of 6.5CM can point me to a few good options of factory ammo.

Barrel is “Ballistic Advantage 24? 6.5 Creedmoor, Rifle Length Fluted, 416R stainless, 936?) (Premium Series), 1:8 twist”
Upper will be lapped, heat-fit barrel to upper (upper receiver very slightly undersized)
Hoping for a 0.5MOA rifle w/ factory ammo.

Anyone happen to have this or similar barrel and can share what it likes? Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
check out this six part series.  

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2021/10/30/6-5-creedmoor-ammo-test-summary-hit-probability-at-long-range/
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By general_cluster:
check out this six part series.  

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2021/10/30/6-5-creedmoor-ammo-test-summary-hit-probability-at-long-range/
View Quote

Wow, I never contemplated that the best grouping ammo may not have the highest hit probability. I’ll definitely be reading through all that in detail.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 12:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:07:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spectre3] [#6]
Anything should shoot hornady 140 eld-m well. 143 gr norma match is currently plentiful and cheap compared to other match ammo and seems to be reliably accurate in everything I've seen. That said, I haven't shot any myself. Hornady American Gunner (Hornady Black is the same thing) 140 bthp used to be my go to practice ammo as it was fairly close to eld-m out to 600 but it's been super hard to find since 2020. S&B 140 fmj and psp used to be stupid cheap but is known to be temperature sensitive and show pressure signs in a lot of rifles despite being slow. With it's current cost compared to what it was, it's not something I look for. I don't have any experience with their 142 gr match ammo. I suspect it's going to have the same powder as the others and have large SD and ES for match ammo. Federal GMM with the 130 Berger is pretty universally liked as well. Winchester USA Ready 140 gr seems like a good option for barrel break-in( if you're one of those types) and could be a good option for a go-to practice round. I've seen it group sub-moa in one guy's rifle at the range. He had no complaints but hadn't chrono'd it so no clue how consistent it is. That is a sample size of one since I've seen no one else talking about it. Whatever you do, don't buy that Aguila 140 gr stuff that's everywhere. Yes it's cheap, but across the board no one I've seen online or talked to in person had any luck getting any kind of group out of it. I'm talking custom rifles with custom barrels grouping 3 moa bad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My go to for factory ammo is Hornady Black, aka American Gunner 140 grn HPBT.  It's pretty accurate from my gun, an old DPMS heavy barrel with a 1 in 8.5" twist.  I also reload the same projectile and can manage 1/2" at 100 if I do my part.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same barrel.  Hornady 147g ELD Match has been fantastic in my rifle.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3one5:
I have the same barrel.  Hornady 147g ELD Match has been fantastic in my rifle.

View Quote

Similar story here.  My 20" Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Creedmoor barrel has shot pretty much everything well, but the 147 ELD-M factory stuff was always <0.75 MOA at 100 yd in 5 round groups.  Hornady American Gunner 140 BTHP was a close second place.  No problem out to 1k yd with either, and that is the longest range I have available to me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EVOlutionary] [#10]

Well got her all built and went out today for the first few shots. Definitely will be a 1moa and hopefully much better after some break in and tuning and ammo testing. Norma 143 and Hornady 147 ELD Match are looking promising. Going to order a couple other choices.

One odd thing, never had this happen on a 5.56 or 308 build, about 7 of the 40 rounds I fired today did not fire. Bolt cycled fine. Held open on last round, fed all rounds normally, spit cases when ejected into the sweet spot around 4 o’clock. Full BCG was a Noveske unit from a known good gun. The primers had a faint mark where the firing pin made contact, but not anywhere close to a normal dimple. Loaded them back up, cycled it manually, and fired just fine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:35:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yeates26] [#11]
I just purchased this exact barrel for my 6.5 build.  For factory ammo Sig 140 OTM’s, Hornady 120g eld-m and 140g eld-m, lastly Hornady Black 140g BTHP all grouped at +or- 1” at 10” yards.  Now I’m reloading and found that 140g ELD-M’s love 38g of varget.  Hope this helps…I would insert a picture of my target but can’t figure out how to make it happen….
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yeates26] [#12]
I have the same barrel only  22”.  Loves 38g of varget as well but I’m getting some serious pressure signs.  Are you seeing this as well?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
EVO, could I ask what kind of stock you have. Wanting to build a 6.5 and really like the stock. Is that rifle length ?.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top