Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2018 9:19:31 PM EDT
I’ve been using Stelok pro, but after reading a few of Brian Litz books I decided to try his Applied Ballistics app. Which do you prefer?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Strelok pro and "Shooter" have been fine for me.  Looks like the applied ballistics is connecting the mobile app to computer capabilitie.  That would really help IMHO
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Started using Hornady 4DOF. It’s free and it runs off of form factor and dopler data rather than G1/G7.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My primary is a kilo 2400 running AB program..seems to work excellent from the little I have used it so far...
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Online I use JBM
In the field I use a Kestrel
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#6]
I used to recommend Ballistic AE, but I've been experiencing some disdain for them as of the last 6 months.

It used to be, that the developer would update it, relatively regularly.  However, I had emailed him over about nine months ago about needing to add a whole host of newer projectiles (I was mainly wanting him to add the 110SMK and 136 Scenar-L  which are both pretty damn popular).  He said he would do it "during the next update," but it's almost been a year now.

I think Applied Ballistic is probably the standard at this point.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the ones I make, Ballisticxlr, BallisticRexLR, BallisticPRS and BallisticDLR, the first 3 are available at ballisticxlr.com. The last one is not meant for individuals so much as for institutional use cases. I also own and use all of the others. Apps are all about the same. Some are easier to use than others, some are seemingly designed to be user hostile. Knights BulletFlight-M is a good one for newbs that want an app. BallisticXLR and its relatives are actually designed specifically to be printed out (they're unique in that respect) because electronics fail in the field and printouts don't take batteries.

Support entitlements are available as well as file downloads. Support is done by me personally, not some someone spuriously named "Chuck" and somehow based in India. Support is what you really need. Imagine just having an expert do your inputs for you, tweak all the little dials so you're dead nuts on no matter what. That's the difference in ballistics nowadays. All the math is right, any app should produce the same results as any other identically configured. Configuring it correctly is the hard part. Like, do you know what your click values actually are or even how to identify those? If not whatever you put into a calculator is wrong. You won't see it much at short-medium range but get properly long range and you'll probably miss high or low. The average I see scope click values off by is 1-3%. Then there's ammunition velocity variation with temperature and ballistic coefficient tuning and a bunch more.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ballistic AE. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
AB Mobile
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using Applied Ballistics for years.
Bonus: If you have a Samsung phone it will pull barometric pressure straight from the phone's built-in sensor (Suck it, Apple)
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
GeoBallistics
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 for JBM Ballistics website. Plus you can use the Litz calculated BC's.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

I've used "Shoot" before but not impressed.

I also want Applied Ballistics but the price is high considering JBM is Free. I am a big fan of Litz though. Also as I dabble with Statistics at work I am a huge fan of the Monte Carlo Simulation model.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Yup the 4Dof program works great and is accurate, has a lot of good features and easy to use. Best part it is free. Download it and give it a try.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kRUNCH:
Started using Hornady 4DOF. It’s free and it runs off of form factor and dopler data rather than G1/G7.
Yup the 4Dof program works great and is accurate, has a lot of good features and easy to use. Best part it is free. Download it and give it a try.
+1
I wish it would just save my favorites on my phone without a login but now Hornady has my spam e-mail address -- oh well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#15]
It should save your favorites. I have my rifles saved in the program on my phone and not logged in to anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:

+1
I wish it would just save my favorites on my phone without a login but now Hornady has my spam e-mail address -- oh well.
It should save your favorites. I have my rifles saved in the program on my phone and not logged in to anything.
Maybe you have an older version, or I wasn't smart enough to do it without an e-mail. It isn't a big deal, just a minor annoyance from my perspective.
The app. itself does seem easy to use once you get everything setup.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
It's had it's share of issues along the way but Trasol has gotten me more first round hits and better data than Ballistic AE and AB in a kilo 2400.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top