Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 10:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OODA_Loop]
Have an FN SPR A1, McMillan stock. Length of pull is a hair short but I like how it shoots. How are the buttpads attached on these, and does McMIllan offer a user-installable spacer system?  Did not find obvious holes for screws. I just want it a half-inch longer or so.  Or so.  (I'm the guy who shoots an SSG with all the spacers installed - long arms.)

v/r OODA

Update: McMillan says they are glued on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it too short in improvised positions? If it works already, don't break it...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Limbsaver slip on?

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ianb1116] [#3]
https://mcmillanusa.com/product/spacers/

McMillan makes spacers for the A3
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Off topic but do you find that the bolt is hard to initially open and close?

My SPR A3 is hard to close on a live round and hard to open on a fired round. Even a empty chamber it’s not smooth closing. With the safety in the middle position it is easier.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By purple85gt:

My SPR A3 is hard to close on a live round and hard to open on a fired round. Even a empty chamber it’s not smooth closing. With the safety in the middle position it is easier.
View Quote
No, no problems with the bolt. Maybe you have a burr that needs smoothing?

I’ve only shot 20 rounds or so at Elite to zero last year. 100y zero. It’s a fricken laser at 1/2 MOA - actually I think it shot .26 with 168gr FGMM from bench/bipod with 10x optic (20 year old SWFA SS 10x42 in Badger rings, all used and off another rifle). Again, this was indoors under unnatural conditions and I am not a great rifleman, and am embarrassed to report that - isn’t me, it’s the rifle, but I checked with calipers. Don’t recall if that was a three or five round group. Bought it from a vendor on the ee who glass bedded it.

I am looking forward to wringing it out a bit at Bangsteel this spring.

Would like to get it threaded for a can but as it shoots well and has a great trigger my inclination is not to f with it...
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Update: had to send to McMillan as the buttpad was glued on. Added the extended butt system. They also repainted it
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By purple85gt:

View Quote
@purple85g

You’re feeling the bolt hand off the striker to the sear when you’re closing the bolt. The safety physically retracts and blocks the striker, so when it’s engaged you don’t get any of that feedback.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

@purple85g

You’re feeling the bolt hand off the striker to the sear when you’re closing the bolt. The safety physically retracts and blocks the striker, so when it’s engaged you don’t get any of that feedback.
View Quote
@ziarifleman

Thanks for the explanation. I had FN look at it too and it’s as it should be.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OODA_Loop:
Have an FN SPR A1, McMillan stock. Length of pull is a hair short but I like how it shoots. How are the buttpads attached on these, and does McMIllan offer a user-installable spacer system?  Did not find obvious holes for screws. I just want it a half-inch longer or so.  Or so.  (I'm the guy who shoots an SSG with all the spacers installed - long arms.)

v/r OODA

Update: McMillan says they are glued on.
View Quote
Limbsaver nitro pad. Did it to my rig
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OODA_Loop:
Update: had to send to McMillan as the buttpad was glued on. Added the extended butt system. They also repainted it
View Quote
Sorry, late to the party as usual. Just wanted to report same results as you with my SPR A1. I'm a mediocre shot at best, and I can manage .75 off the bipod with 168 FGMM. I think a real marksman could do .5 with the same ammo. It's a hell of a shooter out of the box, damn shame FN isn't selling them to the public anymore (or so I heard).

Nice to hear you got the LOP you were wanting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OODA_Loop] [#11]
I was able to repeatably get hits on 18” steel at 1,300 yards with an old SWFA SS 10x42 mildot and Hornady 178gr.

Most other shooters at the event in the photo had much better, variable 34mm glass, 6.5 or 6mm chassis rifles, and modern reticles.

I’m glad I did it the old-fashioned way, it inspired confidence, like learning to fly in an Aeronca Champ. Will stick with .308 until I shoot out the barrel; ready for more magnification, as 1,300 yards is pushing that optic and cartridge combination.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top