Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2022 1:26:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rhs77430]
I'm looking for a basic mil-dot scope with capped turrets and in FFP.

I seriously can't find one.  They're all either exposed turrets or SFP.

The whole point of the mil-dot reticle is so I *don't* have to spin dials.

What gives? Any suggestions? Am I missing an obvious fit?

Also, please don't give me suggestions that are ridiculously expensive, like $2k or more.

ETA: I forgot to mention, I hadn't really considered LPVOs. I know some of them are FFP with capped turrets, but none really have the mil-dot reticle, and either way I'm not really looking for a 1x low end.  Ideally, 3-9 or 3-12, 2-7, 3-15, 2-10, etc.

Something like the SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 FFP would be perfect if it had capped turrets. Same with the primary arms 4-14 FFP mil-dot model.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Leupold custom shop will build what you want.

Also the whole point of BDC reticles is not having to dial... not mil-dot reticles. The whole point of mil-dots is to measure subtension for range estimation and observe impact deviations... not to avoid dialing.  You don’t have to dial if you don’t want, but that’s not the point of Mildots.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:

Also the whole point of BDC reticles is not having to dial... not mil-dot reticles. The whole point of mil-dots is to measure subtension for range estimation and observe impact deviations... not to avoid dialing.  You don’t have to dial if you don’t want, but that’s not the point of Mildots.
View Quote

I mean.. kind of?  If I know I'm supposed to account for 2.5 mils of drop, I could either: (1) dial; or (2) hold up 2.5 on my mil-dot reticle.  The point of the dots is so you can hold up and over, no? The range estimation and observation of impact deviations seem like ancillary benefits.

Thanks for the suggestion about leupold custom shop, I'll email them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a Maven RS.1 2.5-15 FFP, it has a very simple MOA 5/10/20 hash mark reticle that's very bold at low and high power. Maybe they make something similar in mils. Very nice scope, made in Japan.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
I picked up a Maven RS.1 2.5-15 FFP, it has a very simple MOA 5/10/20 hash mark reticle that's very bold at low and high power. Maybe they make something similar in mils. Very nice scope, made in Japan.
View Quote

Perfect, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#6]
Originally Posted By rhs77430:

Perfect, thanks!
View Quote

Looks like the Mavens are MOA only. Still a nice simple FFP drop reticle if you choose to use it that way.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:05:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apierce918] [#7]

I mean.. kind of?  If I know I'm supposed to account for 2.5 mils of drop, I could either: (1) dial; or (2) hold up 2.5 on my mil-dot reticle.  The point of the dots is so you can hold up and over, no? The range estimation and observation of impact deviations seem like ancillary benefits.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:

dialing 2.5 is more accurate than guessing the halfway point. I agree with Millennial
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe anyone still uses mildot reticles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top