Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/27/2021 10:37:22 PM EDT
Putting together a Tikka CTR and it has a 0 MOA rail. So I started looking for a 20 MOA rail and discovered they make elevation adjusted rings too.

Which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I like a rail. If I change the rings and scope, I still have my elevation in my rail.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#2]
On my long range stuff I don't use rings, I use a mount, I prefer them because I think they hold the scope rings more square than separate rings do, I also run all the angle in the rail, normally using Night Force steel rails...

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/accessories/bases
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:11:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I always use a canted rail first. I do use rings like Burris Signature Series as well when appropriate because they are great ways to put in or take out additional cant without having to pull off things that should be treated with loctite. Any decent long range tactical scope is pretty much meant to be used with a 20MOA canted base. I have one rifle/scope combo that needed 60MOA of cant built in between rings and base to get the scope to where I could get a 100yrd zero and still be able to stretch its legs to the limit without having to go to holdovers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What cartridge, barrel length, scope, and distance are you shooting?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Overtorque:
What cartridge, barrel length, scope, and distance are you shooting?
View Quote

I was more asking for preference but 6.5CM, 24", Bushnell XRS II 4.5-30x50, 600 mostly but up to 1200 yards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I am running a 6.5 Creed CTR with 20".  I have not shot at 1,200, but my Ballistic AE dope with Hornady 120s is 17.5 mil.  Assuming a limit of 15 mil of adjustment on your Bushnell, you could hold an extra 2.5 mil on your reticle, and you would not need the rail.  If you're not shooting a lot at 1200, you might save the hassle of removing the factory rail and the expense and hassle of a new rail.  Admittedly, my suggestion is the redneck engineering method to get to your distance, but it can work.  

Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
@rippr334 what are you going with?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
@rippr334 what are you going with?
View Quote

Got the ctr in today. I think I'll stick with regular rings and maybe add an elevated rail down the road.

I haven't picked out rings yet though, so my mind could change.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Looking at either the ARC rings or Seekins. Any input on those two?

My calculations were a min of 0.42" from top of rail to bottom of scope to clear caps and all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I am running a 6.5 Creed CTR with 20".  I have not shot at 1,200, but my Ballistic AE dope with Hornady 120s is 17.5 mil.  Assuming a limit of 15 mil of adjustment on your Bushnell, you could hold an extra 2.5 mil on your reticle, and you would not need the rail.
View Quote

Thank you for this. Exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Overtorque] [#14]
I have Seekins on a Nightforce. Eurooptic helped me select ring height. Great service from them.

Edit to add: I zeroed with three rounds, very close to the mechanical center of the scope. Very happy with Seekins.

If you install your own, I recommend a Wiha torque driver. Spendy, but worth it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Fix it sticks work great for a torque set up also and they are very portable and fit easy in the range bag. Haven’t touched my old full size torque wrench since getting them.
View Quote

I've wondered about those; see ads all the time. I'm hoping to get my Oryx chassis in before I fly out to shoot it and may need to take the chassis off to fit the whole rifle in my travel case. Wanted a small torque wrench but maybe I'll grab the Fix It sticks.

Folks still like the ARC M10 rings?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Been using Seekins rings since 2005 on my match rifles and they have never let me down. If you find Vortex Precision Matched rings for a good deal get those too as Seekins makes them for Vortex.

View Quote

Couldn't find Seekins I needed so ended up with the Vortex Precision matched. Will update when I get them and install.

Oryx chassis arrives tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking forward to the range report.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I put a 20 moa scope base on my CTR and needed a heat gun to get the OEM base off the rifle. If I remember correctly I had to get the temp up to 350 before the adhesive released. I was checking the temp with my Fluke temp gun to make sure I didn't get the rifle way to hot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Progun1911:
I put a 20 moa scope base on my CTR and needed a heat gun to get the OEM base off the rifle. If I remember correctly I had to get the temp up to 350 before the adhesive released. I was checking the temp with my Fluke temp gun to make sure I didn't get the rifle way to hot.
View Quote

Yeah I've heard similar before. I went with stock rail for right now. Might cross that bridge someday.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#21]
My AI and CTR have 0 MOA rails. I went with a Spuhr 20 MOA mount for the AI and regular rings with resulting limited elevation on the CTR.

The Spuhr was probably too much money for what it is but it works well. The CTR can get out to almost 1000 meters with the flat rail.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The screws to get off the 0 MOA were loose and easy to take out on my rifle but the adhesive was a little bit of a bitch but not real bad. But I did have to use heat to remove the OEM base. Here's my CTR when I mounted the Mountain Tactical 20 MOA base

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally took it out today. Got it close at 50 and then backed up to 100. I was using a terrible shooting bend and a towel for a sandbag but I was pretty impressed with the Hornady 120amax rounds.

My Magpul AICS mags wouldn't seat at all, so I am gonna see what the problem was there.

My fix it sticks (which are really nice, thanks for the suggestion) didn't have an extended length on the bit so I couldn't properly torque on the rear chassis screw.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#25]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
Finally took it out today. Got it close at 50 and then backed up to 100. I was using a terrible shooting bend and a towel for a sandbag but I was pretty impressed with the Hornady 120amax rounds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252855/IMG_20210508_134512-1934617.jpg

My Magpul AICS mags wouldn't seat at all, so I am gonna see what the problem was there.

My fix it sticks (which are really nice, thanks for the suggestion) didn't have an extended length on the bit so I couldn't properly torque on the rear chassis screw.
View Quote

Magpul AICS mags don't fit at all in one of my rifles either. I use AI, MDT, and sometimes Accurate mags now. The twelve round MDT ones are really good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top