Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2021 11:32:57 PM EDT
Say what you want, but I have been using an old Lyman Spartan press for reloading 6.5 creedmoor. I’ve gone to 1252 with my B-14 HMR with loads put together on that press and weighed with the old “505”. Dies are nothing special. Redding type S for sizing, and a run of the mill hornady seating die.

With this being “loading season”, I’m rethinking my gear a little bit. I know that I can upgrade my press, my dies, and some of my measuring equipment, but I am remodeling a house, and I’d rather not do all three.

I could get a comparator, and an OAL gauge to dial in that bullet seat depth. (Currently using the stripped bolt and slightly modified case to find the lands)

I could upgrade my bulletseating die at a minimum, but I’d probably get a set of micrometer adjustable competition dies and be done with it.

I could get a more advanced powder measuring system.

I could get a new press. This is what I’m leaning towards for some reason.

Everything I have “works”. It’s reliable, it’s fairly accurate, and it’s fun working with antiquated methods while still getting results.

What says the hive mind?
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Ehh, you wear me out op.
Do what works for you and who gives a Turkey what anyone else thinks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, how good/bad is the brass that comes off your press now? How is it for over all consistency/ neck runout/ SAAMI chamber specs/ shoulder set back consistency? If your current equipment/practices are producing good to great brass now, then buy the stuff you need to make it even better..if its marginal, then figure out what is the biggest culprit and start there..
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s actually not too bad. I can get pretty consistent shoulder bump out of it. I don’t have any way to check runout of the case neck though. I have plenty of starret dial indicators, just no jig to check runout.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

If the press works then no reason to change. I also still use an "old" 505 and Redding Type S dies(as well as Hornady and Forester) to load my match ammo. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
View Quote

IMO, a press is just a device to smash a die and a shellholder together.
If the brass is reasonably small and soft, anything can do that.

Link Posted: 12/22/2021 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you are starting to use a large volume of ammo, I would stay with what you have, perhaps adding a good powder measure.  Unless you are shooting an ultra high accuracy rifle, the platform you are loading for will not benefit from more precision in the loading process.  What you have now will produce sub minute of angle ammo if the rifle is capable.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I will echo what you have heard before. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. With that said I highly recommend the Forester Ultra micrometer seating die. I will sit down and do a 50 round batch and seat all the bullets. I then go back and check the length to ogive. Anything greater than .002” off goes to the back of the box, usually @ 5 rounds. Those are my fowling rounds.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deezbill] [#10]
Originally Posted By BoomToob:
Say what you want, but I have been using an old Lyman Spartan press for reloading
View Quote

Same here...

Never really thought much about changing my press, just my technique and other better tools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top