Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2021 7:35:10 PM EDT
I found a couple of bricks of CCI Standard Velocity I bought probably 4 or 5 years ago.  I stored it in plastic ammo cans in my closet indoors.  It shot well when I first bought it, but after digging it out and shooting it again, it seems to be less accurate than it used to be.  No misfires or anything, but I think perhaps the lubricant has dried out or something.

Anyone else notice a degradation in accuracy with older ammo?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so

RIP Dead Eye Danny

88 year old .22 bullets from SEARS?! - Will it still go bang?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#3]
Yikes!, that's great shooting, Rob01.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#4]
Posted this because he comes close to answering what OP asked.

Is .22 LR Too Unreliable for Self-Defense?

"Failure to fire" is where he goes over it.

ETC ... nm. not the vid I thoought it was.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#6]
A plastic box of CCI SV tipped over on the rear Weathertech mat in my pickup, about 30 rounds fell out into the grooves. I decided to try an experiment: I left the 20 or so in the box, pointing down, and let the fallen ones lay on the mat, from fall until spring.

Test fired them in a 15-22 in about April; the vertical rounds were 100%, while only about half of the ones that laid on their side went off. Some went bang after i rotated them in the chamber and tried again, some were duds.

My assumption is that the priming compound migrated away from the rim inside of the ones that layed on their side.

This would likely effect accuracy as well, as the rounds would probably have varying ignition strength. I just blasted them into the dirt to check reiability.

Unrelated—here’s a 5 shot group of CCI SV I shot at 50 yards with my Tikka T1X in a Tikka CTR oem synthetic stock, with a 15x Bushnell ok it:
Attachment Attached File

Fired offhand, in a stiff breeze of course.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Well if these are typical targets, I either need a better rifle or I really suck at shooting.

I am struggling to stay under 2 moa at 50 yards.  

I really need a good range day where there is no wind, lots of time, and to bring a solid rest, several kinds of ammo, and my torque wrench to see if that makes a difference.

It sucks because there were a bunch of perfect sunny, calm days this week while I had to work.  The weekend comes and it's gusting like 20 mph put there right now.  So while everything else is a go for this weekend, the wind might make it useless.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top