Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2019 11:11:09 AM EDT
I don’t reload and have just been inputting the factory advertised muzzle velocity into my ballistic app. I’m aware the number varies from what I’m getting out of my rifle under whatever atmospheric conditions I’m shooting. My question is, are the factory numbers typically far enough off to justify the expense of a chrono? I’m shooting out to 1000 yards and I’m sure little details start to matter more. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By MSC182:
...My question is, are the factory numbers typically far enough off to justify the expense of a chrono?...
View Quote
Abso-freekin-lutely!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Why You Can't Trust Muzzle Velocity On Boxes

The printed velocity will normally be lower for the reasons mentioned in that article.  Whether it's enough to affect YOUR calculations only you can say.  If you always shoot the same ammo then it's probably not worth purchasing a chrono since once you figure out the difference it would just gather dust.  It's kind of your call.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SACraig:
Why You Can't Trust Muzzle Velocity On Boxes

The printed velocity will normally be lower for the reasons mentioned in that article.  Whether it's enough to affect YOUR calculations only you can say.  If you always shoot the same ammo then it's probably not worth purchasing a chrono since once you figure out the difference it would just gather dust.  It's kind of your call.
View Quote
Interesting article thanks. I do shoot the same ammo so your point about it’s usefulness is valid. That said, if I purchased an inexpensive one and gathered data that equated to more hits in a match, I think it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 1:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 44-40pro] [#5]
I have been using a $100 Gamma Chrony for the last 20 plus years with ZERO PROBLEMS. I use it when working up new loads and after any significant component lot changes. It has been consistently accurate for all these years.

Guess I need to run right out and spend some more money.

OP for what your needs are I can say without hesitation that one of the Chrony Series devices will be worth every cent you spend on it without going into hock for something you'll only need/use a few times a year. IT IS one of those "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it " type items.

ETA: I'm in the DFW are. IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Pick up a Magnetospeed Sporter. Accurate and relatively inexpensive. Don't buy a super cheap chrono as you will be buying another better one within a year.
View Quote
That’s the one I’ve been looking at. Midway USA has it on sale for $160 right now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up buying a MagnetoSpeed Sporter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Interesting article thanks. I do shoot the same ammo so your point about it’s usefulness is valid. That said, if I purchased an inexpensive one and gathered data that equated to more hits in a match, I think it might be worth it.
View Quote
I can't argue that point.  Obtaining data is always a good thing in my opinion and I tend to go overboard sometimes.  I've seen people purchase chronos and never use them though in which case it is just a waste.

You will enjoy the Magnetospeed though.  They are very good and very reliable.  I've had one a bit over a year and an old Shooting Chrony before that.  I personally much prefer the Magnetospeed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up buying a MagnetoSpeed Sporter.
View Quote
Congrats.  It'll be useful now and when you start reloading.  Because you will start reloading and it'll all make sense once you find the first load that performs out of your rifle.

I've seen extreme spreads of ~100fps out of the same box of Hornady ELDM.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The chrono is a good investment.  I've never gotten results from a stock rifle that matched the data printed on the box of factory ammo.  I also typically don't see results that are a close enough match to the data in a reloading manual to not support having a chronograph if you are shooting out to 1000.  A change of 50 or 100 fps starting velocity starts to get more significant as distance extends.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By rob78:

Congrats.  It'll be useful now and when you start reloading.  Because you will start reloading and it'll all make sense once you find the first load that performs out of your rifle.

I've seen extreme spreads of ~100fps out of the same box of Hornady ELDM.
View Quote
I've seen pretty surprising differences in COAL with Hornady and other premium ammo too.  So many reasons to reload, not just cost.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I started with Magneto Speed and loved it for 3 years. I sold it to a buddy getting into the game and bought a Labradar. WOW is all I can say for it.

I shoot 100% suppressed and got tired of the POI Shift when working with Load Development. It is a Very expensive tool that gives me Awesome information.

I don't Know what I would do without it. If i am trying to hit that Sub-Sonic barrier. I can load 5 rounds and shoot them at the house to see where they are.

Then I can build a smaller Ladder test and see what Powder Charge has the best groups later. It saves me a Bunch of powder.

You will now spend MORE money and start loading Awesome Performance loads for your rifle. It will change your outlook on factory ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mcbjus:
I started with Magneto Speed and loved it for 3 years. I sold it to a buddy getting into the game and bought a Labradar. WOW is all I can say for it.

I shoot 100% suppressed and got tired of the POI Shift when working with Load Development. It is a Very expensive tool that gives me Awesome information.

I don't Know what I would do without it. If i am trying to hit that Sub-Sonic barrier. I can load 5 rounds and shoot them at the house to see where they are.

Then I can build a smaller Ladder test and see what Powder Charge has the best groups later. It saves me a Bunch of powder.

You will now spend MORE money and start loading Awesome Performance loads for your rifle. It will change your outlook on factory ammo.
View Quote
Yep.  that was my reaction as well.

I expected improvement.  Anything would be better than the chronos I'd owned before.  I just didn't expect how much better it would be.  Well worth the cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top