Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2018 5:53:01 PM EDT
I am talking about 308 caliber. If a rifle is designed to shoot the 168 grain, would using 175 grain ammo where the barrel out faster than using 168?  Any difference?  It’s a steyr ssg 69 and I can’t remember the rifling twist
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Easy_E] [#1]
I believe the heavier bullets are longer so more bullet is riding the bore. You wouldn't think the difference in 169 and 175  would be much more wear?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I suspect bullet material vs barrel material has a far greater impact.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
I believe the heavier bullets are longer so more bullet is riding the bore. You wouldn't think the difference in 169 and 175  would be much more wear?
View Quote
Generally a barrel wears out from the plasma between the lip of the case and a couple of inches into the barrel, not because of friction.
It is called a plasma because it is so hot that the electrons have separated from the atoms. This is beyond highly corrosive.

What contributes to barrel wear is pressure, the higher the pressure and the longer the pressure is high the more corrosive the plasma is.
Using a slower powder with heavy bullets reduces barrel wear (by a bit more than a smidgeon).
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Throat wear before barrel wear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top