Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 2:08:27 PM EDT
So in trying to find my height over bore or sight heigh, I have a question.

I have bolt diameter divided by 2
I have scope tube diameter divided by 2
Now for the distance “top of bolt in rifle to bottom of scope”.  Do I need to measure to the bottom of the scope tube or the bottom of scope center base (where the turrets are). Basically the flat part of the scope is 1.097” and the tube is 1.77”.

Which one do I use?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Which is what I’ve done in the past. Saw where there was a formula for getting exact radius and figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:26:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KarlSG1] [#4]
Your height over bore is:
Half of the scope tube diameter
+
Half of the bolt body diameter
+
The distance between the bottom of the scope tube body, and the top of the bolt body

This assumes that the bolt body is concentric to the bore. There are some designs (mostly rimfires) that have the bolt body not concentric to the bore.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KarlSG1:
Your height over bore is:
Half of the scope tube diameter
+
Half of the bolt body diameter
+
The distance between the bottom of the scope tube body, and the top of the bolt body

This assumes that the bolt body is concentric to the bore. There are some designs (mostly rimfires) that have the bolt body not concentric to the bore.
View Quote
Right, that’s what I had in my OP. My question was for the top of the bolt body to the bottom of the tube, or the bottom of the scope base (which sits slightly lower than tube).

But as Rob mentioned, this formula is probably not necessary. Was just trying to use it to compare to the measurement I took with my calipers, estimating center of bolt to center of tube.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KarlSG1] [#6]
I thought I was clear enough when I  used the term, "bottom of the scope tube body ". By that, I mean the cylindrical part of the scope that is usually between the rings. The larger boss the turrets mount to are not part of the measurement.

It is true that the formula is largely unnecessary for most applications.  The question was asked in the Precision Rifle section,  so I wanted to give you a precise answer.

Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
easy ways to get precise answers.  your action mfg will tell you the distance from center to top of rail.  your ring mfg will tell you the distance from center to top of rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top