Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 9:47:45 PM EDT
Need to get my barrel threaded on my 455. Get a new barrel or have existing threaded? I’d love to throw down for a lilja but at $450 it’s just not in the cards right now. So does anyone make a solid choice for a good price? Anyone have experiences with other brands?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Whistle Pig barrels.  They make a nice light weight option with flutes, threaded, etc.

It might be worth while to get a new barrel for $200 than spend $150 getting it threaded...plus the gun could loose a few lbs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know all whistle pig barrels are aluminum sleeved barrels correct? I have a kidd barrel like that on my 10/22 and love it but not what I’m after for the 455. Weight isn’t a concern and looking for something in a 18” heavy barrel profile.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Any competent gunsmith could thread your barrel. Or send it to ADCO.

If you want a different barrel and don't want to spend the money on a Lilja then you might be able to find a factory threaded barrel from a Tacticool or Precision Trainer but those don't go up for sale often.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:11:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bimmertech87] [#5]
I know I’m being a bit difficult on this. I can get it threaded for $65 locally but I have no experience with that Smith, but he has been around for a long time and supposed to do good work.

The guy I normally use wants $100-125 if it’s just threading not cutting which I honestly feel is a touch high but not too bad.

The factory cz barrels only come in 16” and 24” and are $190 but come with a extra mag.  If I’m spending that much I was hoping I could find a little better quality barrel for a few dollars more. I got my kidd barrel on my 10/22 for like $200 on sale and  it it shoots a little better than my factory cz varmint barrel.

Im really wanting to go with something 18-20” would prefer 18” if I picking but not going to pay the extra $50 my normal Smith wants to chop it. My old savage fvsr had a 16” barrel and I always felt it handled a little off because of the short barrel. But I’m concerned the 20” barrel on my cz will be a little to long with the can on it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I am about to have my 455 American Factory Stainless 20.5 tapered barrel rurned and threaded. I am concerned their will not be much of a shoulder.

Anyone do this yet?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had many barrels threaded by eastTXhunter from the Equipment Exchange. Turn around has usually been about 7 days door to door.
Here are two 455s that he did.  Top one with the varmint barrel is mine.  Lower one with the thinner barrel is my son's rifle.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, Chris.
I decided to go with the 16.5" as it will not loose much FPS, and be much handier.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top