Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2018 12:02:08 AM EDT
I have found a ton of threads and guides on the internet about converting blind magazines to detachable and back, and converting from savage magazines to another style, but I haven't found any info that clearly pertains to my rifle.  I know there are a phethora of places making Detachable Box Magazine conversions for savage long actions, both in the form of bottom metal kits and complete stocks.  What I have is an old skool, flat receiver, pre accutrigger Savage 112 Competition that I really like.  
Not mine, but here is a representitive image:

But because it's a single shot, it does not seem really suitable for either high-power matches and is definitely not suitable for PRS matches.  For both of those I would like something with a detachable box mag - preferably several.   It also does not seem to be in any demand for sale or trade, without either giving it away or the next best thing to it, thus I had the idea to convert it to accept a Detachable box magazine, and hopefully keep the factory stock and look of the gun.

I know I am probably going to hear from the "just sell it and buy what you want" crowd, but this is not a for-sale thread, this is a "how do I do this" thread.  Is it possible?  Is there a gunsmith shop that might be willing to do this? Is this something that I could do for myself?  Before I get out the spade bit and files, it seemed prudent to ask if there are any glaring pitfalls in my plan, or if anyone else has done or tried this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Any number of gunsmiths can do the job. All you need to do is call around.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vengarr:
View Quote
Well I was hoping for some opinions on who is good, who I should avoid and most importantly, if I should try to do this myself...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:
Well I was hoping for some opinions on who is good, who I should avoid and most importantly, if I should try to do this myself...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:
Originally Posted By vengarr:
I dont know any savage Smith's. I know I would get on the web and make some calls. I guarantee you can find someone to do it in less than an hour. I bet savage can do it actually, that's who I would call first.

No way would I do it myself, but then again I have zero machining experience.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The more I got into this, the more I came to the opinion that this is a bad idea.  I asked about this over on a Savage site, and you would have thought I was asking for the recipe for fried babies or something.   The guys that theoretically know the most about this don't want me to do it, I have had zero luck finding a smith that wants to do it, and I don't think my WECSOG fabrication skills are up to the task.

I explored trading it locally for a rifle that is set up the way I want, but my personal curse of anything I own and want to sell becoming worthless is in full effect.  I had a local shop offer me $400 on trade, but they wanted full MSRP for the other gun after they had initially offered to sell it for $400 below MSRP.  (yes you read that right, and yes, I walked away).

So, I am kinda stuck.... no, I am really stuck.  So, I guess I will be keeping it....
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#6]
if I had the spare coin I'd offer to find you a standard 110 action in trade but I don't. used 110's can be found for $200-300 quite often. hell even brand new 12's were going for a little over $300 new after rebate card not to long ago at cabela's.

I'd be willing to bet if you signed up on savageshooters and paid for a membership you'd be able to sell it fairly easily.

or why not take advantage of a good thing? a .338 edge or 375 box monkey express would be right at home in that action....just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top