Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2021 10:41:38 AM EDT
I’m trying to get ready to take my new 6.5cm Bergara hmr wilderness out whenever my scope comes in. It’s my first centerfire bolt action. Up until now I have used three piece brass cleaning rods and bore snakes for everything else. I’m just looking for recommendations for a good one piece cleaning rod and a bore guide. Tipton, Dewey, boretech???  Or would you just continue using the three piece brass rods?  I have had good luck with my “precision” ar so far with the cheap three piece rod.

Any suggestions are more that welcome. Is any one better than the other?  Do the coated steel ones hold up, or does the coating fail?  I was looking at Tipton carbon fiber, but I can’t find one locally.

What bore guide should I get? Will a universal $10-$15 one be okay, or do you want to go high end and buy once cry once?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
+1 for Tipton 1 piece carbon fiber rods.  I have/use several and never had a problem with any of them.  TIP on length > If you have a stock where the top of the comb is almost in-line with your bore axis, you will want a rod length (not counting the handle) a little longer than the overall length of the rifle.  This is so that you don't have to stress (slightly bend) the rod during routine use (cleaning).  I have a R700 clone with a 23 inch barrel in a McMillan A5 stock.   The rifle OAL is about 42 inches so I use a 44 inch rod for it.  I also have a 36 inch carbon fiber rod that fits in the case for that rifle for range trips.  I don't generally plan to use a cleaning rod at the range - it is there "just in case".

I also like Bore Tech Proof Positive Bore Stix - coated 1 piece cleaning rods although the Tipton carbon fiber rods are typically less costly.

In terms of a bore guide - pick your favorite.  I use a Tipton universal bore guide - it works but I'm not in love with it!...  When I clean my rifle, the muzzle is always lower than the chamber - bipod front support and I use several rear shooting bags to raise the butt of the rifle higher than the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been using the Montana extreme cleaning rods, been very happy with them, for a bore guide I just use a basic one from Brownells, it has worked perfectly and the price was right...
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My vote is for Possum Hollow bore guides and Dewey once piece coated rods.  Admittedly I don't have experience with much besides them because I bought them first and have never wanted anything else!
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have experience with Bore Tech bore guides & cleaning rods?

Bore Tech
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
For me Dewey rods and cleaning jags etc etc and try this guy he made some bore guides for me for my Tikka TactA1 308 and HKMR762 and they are great

Mike Lucas

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/lucas-custom-bore-guides/

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been very happry with this one

https://www.pmatool.com/pma-rod-guide-remington-panda-6-5-prc/
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Dewey rods mostly and my favorite guides are the Possum Hollow style. The Dewey rods are relatively cheap compared to most others. I run two rods for common bore sizes, one set up with the jag and the other with a brush.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Im a big fan of the Dewey coated rods and that's all I use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top