Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2014 3:38:20 PM EDT
I am looking for suggestions on proper cleaning rods for precision rifles. Specifically carbon fiber vs coated rods and quality brands to look for.

Precision barrels are expensive equipment, and I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary wear or damage with cleaning.

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Dewey rods & components.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Dewey rods are great.

You will save on wear and tear by only cleaning when accuracy falls off. You can go a lot of rounds before most guns need cleaning. Spend your time cleaning the bolt and receiver, reloading accurate ammo, learning to read wind and dry firing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Dewey one piece coated rod.  Mike Lucas bore guide. http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm and a brass jag.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:

Dewey one piece coated rod.  Mike Lucas bore guide. http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm and a brass jag.
View Quote

all round good suggestion.

I don't clean my barrels very often
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

i got a precision ar-10 (first long range rifle)
i just coated treated it with fireclean. I figure with the price of 308 ammo. It might just be a once a year cleaning. Ill probably only going to throw a couple hundred rounds of 308 down range a year.
not to highjack, but is this kosher with precision rifles?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been using Tipton for years, no issues, very sturdy.  I have three of them, two 26" and one 36"

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not as precision savy as the guys that will probably respond to your question, but I have been shooting for many years and I prefer Pro Shot cleaning products.  I really like their line of cleaning equipment and everything is made in the USA.

Their rods are not coated, just apply a light coat of oil.  

Use a bore guide when cleaning your barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]
All good suggestions.  Something to keep in mind - Even a good rod can be problematic if not sized correctly.  I have seen (and done myself) a lot of people try to use a one size fits all rod for all calibers and rifles.  While, they will often work, they can also cause some issues.  Rods come in various lengths and diameters for a reason and many over look this.  A very long 22 cal rod will flex a lot and might not be the best choice for larger bores.  The longer the rod the more flex.  The smaller the diameter, the more flex.  Even using a rod that is too long and too small in diameter with a bore guide will flex and put pressure on the jags which can cause bending.  This will be especially problematic if you are not removing the jag prior to retracting the rod which can damage the crown.
Just something to think about when buying a new rod.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Dewey rods for every rifle I own.  

When I ordered my complete cleaning setup from Dewey for my 260 they sent me the wrong cleaning rod.  It was for a 30 cal.  I emailed them and got an immediate response that said keep the 30 cal rod and the correct one will be shipped out the next business day.  

Now I have to buy a damn a rifle to use this extra 30 cal cleaning rod
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I am having a rifle built by accuracy systems and they reccomend bore snakes over rods using 2 bore snakes
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By a37b:
I am having a rifle built by accuracy systems and they reccomend bore snakes over rods using 2 bore snakes
View Quote

Dewey are good rods.  I've spoken to the guys at Kidd (precision .22 barrels and tricked out 10/22s) and they also just recommend bore snakes.  Their position is basically bore snakes are not perfect but a whole lot better than someone that does not know how to use a cleaning rod properly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

in police work, i think they would call that a 'clue'
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By taliv:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Meaning?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#14]
meaning that's such bad advice it would cause me to be very skeptical of anything else they say/do.  I don't know anyone who would use a bore snake on a precision rifle.   (i have several of course and they're great for field use on chrome lined ARs and AKs and shotguns and such)

ask them what exactly they mean by people who don't know how to use a cleaning rod?  what specifically are these people doing with the rod that is causing a problem?  then we can compare/contrast the bore snake

i looked at their website and it seems like mostly they are accurizing rugers and such, so maybe a bore snake makes sense for them.   but for a precision rifle? no way
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look at their precision rem 700 line and their break in advice.
I have two friends that have their rem 700 and they shoot out to 2000 yards with 7 mm mag and 300 win mag
They guarantee sub 1/2 moa.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#16]

meaning that's such bad advice it would cause me to be very skeptical of anything else they say/do.  I don't know anyone who would use a bore snake on a precision rifle.   (i have several of course and they're great for field use on chrome lined ARs and AKs and shotguns and such)

ask them what exactly they mean by people who don't know how to use a cleaning rod?  what specifically are these people doing with the rod that is causing a problem?  then we can compare/contrast the bore snake

i looked at their website and it seems like mostly they are accurizing rugers and such, so maybe a bore snake makes sense for them.   but for a precision rifle? no way
View Quote

Having seen a bore snake brass end separate from the lanyard - getting stuck in the barrel and needing the insertion of a wood dowel to knock it out...I can't imagine anyone recommending their use on a precision rifle.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#17]
it's not just that your gun is hard down if it breaks, which they are prone to....

it's that it's practically impossible in the field to pull a boresnake straight out of the muzzle.  you will tend to pull to one side or another, eroding that side of your crown unevenly, which is a sure fire way to ruin your accuracy
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
it's not just that your gun is hard down if it breaks, which they are prone to....

it's that it's practically impossible in the field to pull a boresnake straight out of the muzzle.  you will tend to pull to one side or another, eroding that side of your crown unevenly, which is a sure fire way to ruin your accuracy
View Quote

Come on man. Eroding the crown with uneven pressure from a bore snake?

Sigh.

For cleaning rods I tend to favor stainless non-coated rods, aluminium jags, and aluminium core nylon brushes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#19]
it's not so much the pressure, as the pulling 3 feet of sandpaper against your crown.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#20]
You'd really have to work hard to get a boresnake to mess up your crown. Having said that, boresnakes do nothing really. You need a rod, chems, brush and a jag with patches to properly clean a rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

This.

I use a Tipton Rod(s) as well, but they'll be replaced by Dewey.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#22]
I like coated Dewey rods.  Great utility for the price, and if they bend or as the coating peels they're not prohibitively expensive to replace (just like toothbrushes).

Pro-Shot makes nice stab-jags for running bore patches.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Dewey rods and jags. Pro-Shot brushes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top