Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2020 1:18:59 PM EDT
So I recently scored a decent McMillan for one of my rifles for a pretty good price.
Problem is, once it arrived I realized that the fore end is just way to wide for my liking.
So the question is........can I take a sander to it, and knock the width of it down? Obviously wearing dust mask/goggles etc. or will that compromise the stiffness of the stock? it's presently 2 1/2 inches wide, and I'd prefer something around 1.75.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you cannot sand it down. The fibers that make the stock stiff are located on the outside.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all, I figured that was possibly the case, but I wanted to 100% confirm.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My understanding is the standard McMillan stock is solid. I cut 3 inches of the front of one and sanded it to get a contour to get my Remington 700 SBr to fit. Forend was solid.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
McM stocks are hollow, filled with a sort of foam/bead mixture.  When you order it, you select a "fill" to go in...that fill is made up of beads and whatnot to determine the weight and balance.  Sniper Fill is usually the heaviest fill.

The shell is just fiberglass...paper like material with resin to form into the shape of the stock.  It has some solid areas around the action and where things screw in for strength, but most of the stock is hollow.

Having said that...you "can" cut it down...but you have to have the ability to lay down new sheets of fiberglass or carbon fiber, heat them, bond them, and then refinish the stock.

Some gunsmiths do it but you can almost buy a new one for what it costs...not worth it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you? Yes. Should you? No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top