Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2018 10:29:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote]
Since I already know the final parts I'll be ordering in the next couple weeks, the optic for the 6mm Creedmoor is up on the list.

I think I'm going to take the 3-12x50 Steiner Military Tactical that's currently on my 6.5 Creedmoor and move it to the 6mm. I know I want a little more power on the 6.5 C so I've started looking again. Narrowed down to probably Nightforce or sticking with Steiner. Both are 5-25x56 and fit the bill.  Models are the Steiner 5-25x56 M5Xi Military and the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 ZeroStop. The G2B and MIL-R reticles are what I'd go with. I like the dot hash combination of the Steiner,  but have not tried the Nightforce. The Nightforce is busier.  I have two of the Steiners already so am familiar with them and like them.  The first focal plane version of the Nightforce launches the price of the Nightforce up about $400 more than the Steiner.  I'm wondering if the extra is justified.  Not too worried about it,  but the other $400 can be used for something else or just lower the price a bit. Mine are the older Military/Tactical versions which Steiner changed to the M5Xi & T5Xi. The differences being mainly the "M" glass is better than the "T".

Both are nice, but really thinking to stick with Steiner as I really like them and am familar with them.  The consistency would be nice. Anyone tried both or have experience?

ETA: now thinking US Optics B17 or B25 may not be bad either
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the main differences between the "M" and "T" models of the Steiners are more than glass clarity; the "M" models are built in Germany, the "T" models in Colorado (IIRC).  When the T's came out, they ended up having significant issues, they shit the bed big time.  Google Steiner T5x problems and you'll see.  That's why the M models, though older and with dated reticles, are still more expensive.

You can never go wrong with Nightforce, but their first focal plane models are very expensive.  If you have that type of cash, I'd consider Kahles and Schmidt and Bender too.  I run Kahles 624i's on all of my precision rifles.  Sounds like you'd prefer the SKMR 1 reticle, but I run the SKMR 3 and AMR reticles (I prefer the Christmas tree-type reticles).

USO makes excellent optics as well. I owned a B25 with the GenII XR reticle, great scope, I just prefer Kahles.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALex:
Well, the main differences between the "M" and "T" models of the Steiners are more than glass clarity; the "M" models are built in Germany, the "T" models in Colorado (IIRC).  When the T's came out, they ended up having significant issues, they shit the bed big time.  Google Steiner T5x problems and you'll see.  That's why the M models, though older and with dated reticles, are still more expensive.

You can never go wrong with Nightforce, but their first focal plane models are very expensive.  If you have that type of cash, I'd consider Kahles and Schmidt and Bender too.  I run Kahles 624i's on all of my precision rifles.  Sounds like you'd prefer the SKMR 1 reticle, but I run the SKMR 3 and AMR reticles (I prefer the Christmas tree-type reticles).

USO makes excellent optics as well. I owned a B25 with the GenII XR reticle, great scope, I just prefer Kahles.
View Quote
Thanks for the response and input.

My Steiners are the old military tactical before they split to the M&T lines. I saw the T had issues,  one of the reasons I was sticking to the M line.  Both of mine have been great.

Nightforce is a nice optic.  I wouldn't buy a scope that isn't first focal plane for these specific rifles,  so that locks me in on specific models.  That being the case,  I have been looking at S&B and others. There's been some major changes to the USO offerings and they look pretty good. Another interesting line is that from IOR Valdada. Only thing with them is the tubes are huge.

I have time so I'm going to keep looking. Khales is on the list today for some research. Everything I've seen on them looks outstanding. I have looked at a Razor Gen2 and while it was nice, I passed preferring something else.

I haven't really tried any others reticles to any extent other than here and there.  That's the logic on a plain mil dot or slightly modified mil dot.  That and I'm lazy because I'm used to marking,  dimensions and use.  Maybe I should throw a different reticle into the mix.  On the subject of reticles,  illumination is not a primary for me. I actually like the idea on the IOR of only having the center dot lit. It's a nice feature,  but I don't use it much.

Not trying to sound arrogant,  but one thing I learned a while back is optics is definitely one to buy once cry once.  I had tried several scopes before that were not hugely expensive, but weren't cheap either. Just trying to figure out what'll fit me best before hand because scopes are a relatively large purchase that I'd like to avoid having to change.

Thanks again for any and all input.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:52:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#3]
What are your velocity/accuracy expectations from your 6 CM? I had one and while accurate, I was sorely disappointed by the velocities I was getting. I also couldn't use the highest BC bullets because they jammed into the back of the barrel since they were long and skinny enough to pass through the barrel extension without tipping upwards.

My friend shooting the same bullets I was could get within 100 fps shooting 6 fat rat in a small frame. I plan to stick with bolt guns for 6mm rounds.

I asked this because I was disappointed enough with the caliber in an AR platform to ditch it altogether. If you have similar expectations as I did, you may want to shoot it first with what you have before spending money on new optics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
What are your velocity/accuracy expectations from your 6 CM? I had one and while accurate, I was sorely disappointed by the velocities I was getting. I also couldn't use the highest BC bullets because they jammed into the back of the barrel since they were long and skinny enough to pass through the barrel extension without tipping upwards.

My friend shooting the same bullets I was could get within 100 fps shooting 6 fat rat in a small frame. I plan to stick with bolt guns for 6mm rounds.

I asked this because I was disappointed enough with the caliber in an AR platform to ditch it altogether. If you have similar expectations as I did, you may want to shoot it first with what you have before spending money on new optics.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Expectations are never really high enough to be really disappointed. If I end up not liking it,  I'll just rebarrel for something else. I know i could get more from a bolt gun in my 6.5 Creedmoor,  but my AR isn't going anywhere.  The optic will be purchased regardless for that rifle or use later on another one if I do an optics shuffle. Well that and I want a scope in the 5-25 range. I don't have the 6mm completed yet, but plan for one of the 3-12 Steiners I have on my 6.5 Creedmoor to go on it. The 5-25 would then be used on the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Woohoo!!!

Finally made a choice. I've stuck with Steiner and am waiting for a 5-25x56 Miltary. I've really liked both of the Steiners I have,  so I settled on another. Went with an MSR reticle this time instead of the G2B primarily because it is similar to the G2B with a few more scales  without appearing crazy busy to me.

Can't wait to receive it.  Now to get a mount. I've stuck with LaRue LT745 20MOA, but maybe I'll try something else on this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top