Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2019 9:15:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556]
Someone tell me that I’m stupid and need to stop while I’m ahead.

I want to build a clone of a K98, chambered in something other than 8mm, and I want to thread it for a suppressor. I’d like to find a bubba’d receiver that’s already been tapped for glass to build it on. I realize that the stock isn’t optimal for accuracy, but I doubt that I’d ever shoot past 500 anyway.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:47:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tommyidone] [#1]
You’re stupid. (Disclaimer OP specifically asked me to do this... don’t ban me)
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You want a K98 clone but you don't want it chambered for the 8mm and you want it drilled and tapped for use with a scope?

Not too much of a clone but, if it's what you want, you should go for it
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EliCustom:
You want a K98 clone but you don't want it chambered for the 8mm and you want it drilled and tapped for use with a scope?

Not too much of a clone but, if it's what you want, you should go for it
View Quote
Not really a clone I guess.

I want a bolt gun that I can suppress, and I have a real K98, which I really like. I thought a K98 style gun with a few modern features would be neat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Try to find a Mauser style action on GB. A quick search shows zastava actions available which I think are post war.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:53:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddler] [#5]
What about one of the older Israeli K98 models in 7.62x51
Easy to load for & a cheap donor gun - or maybe a post-war Yugo or Czech K98?
Quite a few options for a donor '98 receiver, but I'd look for one already in a calibre other than 8mm to cut down on the work needed
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Shop local gun stores for sporterized Mausers.
You can often find them at good prices, because nobody wants them anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I dig it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#8]
Actions I have. (If you want to start from scratch.)
The 30-06 mil-profile barrel I had sold on eBay earlier today.

Israeli Mausers are getting to be collectible.

Look for an M48 post war Yugo and re-barrel.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#9]
I've hit a gun and pawn shops recently, most of them are either pretty spendy, or too far gone to restore to a military type configuration.

Or both.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#10]
Start with a Ruger GSR, the model 77 action is 100% Mauser 98.  The GSR already has military-ish sights and muzzle device.

Build a custom military-inspired stock that uses all the military stock hardware, butt plate and custom military-inspired hand guard.  You could use some kind of concealed brass pin/ socket to locate the hand guard and make it free-floated.

Use a detachable steel magazine.

Refinish all the Ruger and military metal in black or park gray Cerakote.  Finish the wood with appropriate oil.

Make it a modern military Mauser.

K98k Model of 2019 or American FR-8.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:56:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#11]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Start with a Ruger GSR, the model 77 action is 100% Mauser 98.  The GSR already has military-ish sights and muzzle device.

Build a custom military-inspired stock that uses all the military stock hardware, butt plate and custom military-inspired hand guard.  You could use some kind of concealed brass pin/ socket to locate the hand guard and make it free-floated.

Use a detachable steel magazine.

Refinish all the Ruger and military metal in black or park gray Cerakote.  Finish the wood with appropriate oil.

Make it a modern military Mauser.

K98k Model of 2019 or American FR-8.
View Quote

That would undoubtedly be a cheaper, easier and probably superior alternative, but I'm stubborn and want it to look like 1944 with a can and LPVO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I’m part of the Arcom tradition of “GET BOTH!” so I think you should build it.

As inspiration, here is a 98k re-build with many reproduction parts, although the builder was seeking authenticity- including 8mm chambering:

Kar98k + Zf 39 Sniper to 1,100yds: Practical Accuracy

I think you should build it in 6.5x55mm Swedish.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#13]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Well, I’m part of the Arcom tradition of “GET BOTH!” so I think you should build it.

As inspiration, here is a 98k re-build with many reproduction parts, although the builder was seeking authenticity- including 8mm chambering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdxVqFX9Iwo

I think you should build it in 6.5x55mm Swedish.
View Quote
Now I want one with an original style scope.

I’d probably go with 308, it isn’t the best round out there, but it’s plentiful and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm doing one myself. Just got the stock made. 6082 aluminum, adjustable everything. Haven't found (or looked) for an AICS compatible bottom metal arrangement for it yet. Might stick with the original floorplate. We'll see.

Link Posted: 10/25/2019 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
For awhile i thought Zastava was making reproductions of the K98.

Regardless, I've been seeing several bubba'd large ring actions coming in to the shops near me.  The bolts and bold handles are bubba'd as well, so they would hardly be worth the effort to do a resto mod.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 3:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#16]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Regardless, I've been seeing several bubba'd large ring actions coming in to the shops near me.  The bolts and bold handles are bubba'd as well, so they would hardly be worth the effort to do a resto mod.
View Quote
If I could find a reproduction, I’d buy one in a heartbeat. It would save a ton of work and money.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#17]
This is Remingtons discontinued model 798:

It’s a Zastava made 98 Mauser in various calibers.

Discontinued 2006.  Many still out there. Probably cheap too.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Here’s a Zastava M70:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/415001453/redirect
View Quote
The Rem 798, Zastava M70, Interarms Mark X and few others are all the same actions.  Made on the same machinery(or replacements) in the same factories.   BRNO VZ-24 also manufactured there.

As were ton of K98k's during WWII when the Germans called it Waffenwerke Brunn.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I see someone has been playing PUBG!

I don't blame you. I have often thought of doing this to some classic military rifles. Keep the classic military lines, but add some modern enhancements such as a suppressor and modern glass. The two biggest that I wanted to try it with was a 1903a4 and a Finnish M39.

You actually have several options. Start with a modern reproduction and work backwards. Several already mentioned it, but look for the Zastava M70. The were initially discontinued, but Zastava USA is slowly bringing them back out. But they are more expensive.

Get an original action. Have been thinking about doing this myself. Always wanted to try making an FR-8 as it was my favorite Mauser, along with the swedish versions.
https://www.sarcoinc.com/mauser-98-model-1938-large-ring-long-action-action-receiver/

Your last option that I can think of is to get a fancy reproduction and start from there. Never have used one of these. Claim to have a 30-06 bolt face.
https://www.sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action/

Whatever you end up doing, please keep us updated. I would love to see the final product.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a Turkish Mauser sitting in a safe for 10 years that I want to do a project on.  The prices have really gone up.  I paid $75 for it shipped...  My dad has a .243 built on a pre war Mauser action.  That gun is a laser.  Great shooter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
I see someone has been playing PUBG!

I don't blame you. I have often thought of doing this to some classic military rifles. Keep the classic military lines, but add some modern enhancements such as a suppressor and modern glass. The two biggest that I wanted to try it with was a 1903a4 and a Finnish M39.

You actually have several options. Start with a modern reproduction and work backwards. Several already mentioned it, but look for the Zastava M70. The were initially discontinued, but Zastava USA is slowly bringing them back out. But they are more expensive.

Get an original action. Have been thinking about doing this myself. Always wanted to try making an FR-8 as it was my favorite Mauser, along with the swedish versions.
https://www.sarcoinc.com/mauser-98-model-1938-large-ring-long-action-action-receiver/

Your last option that I can think of is to get a fancy reproduction and start from there. Never have used one of these. Claim to have a 30-06 bolt face.
https://www.sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action/

Whatever you end up doing, please keep us updated. I would love to see the final product.
View Quote

No PUBG, at least not for a few years.

My favorite guns to shoot are military bolt actions, that’s the biggest reason for wanting to do it. I haven’t done anything as of yet, I’m still looking for bubba’d gun to make a project out of. I definitely want to start with something that’s already been ruined from a collectibility standpoint.

I’m actually not even married to the idea of it being a K98, I’ve considered building something out of a Spanish Mauser.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
I’m actually not even married to the idea of it being a K98, I’ve considered building something out of a Spanish Mauser.
View Quote

The Spanish 98s are still a bargain.
Bubba'd versions still show up in the $100 range.

I would avoid the earlier 1893/1916 Spanish Mausers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’d love to find something like that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I like the way you think, my left handed Zastava m70
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#27]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Picked this Spanish 98 up yesterday for about $175.00

Barrel re-profiled, re-blued, stripper clip guide removed, drilled and tapped with Weaver bases, bolt handle forged to sporter type and a good quality aftermarket stock.  
Missing trigger and magazine follower and floor plate, but I have many of those parts.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Well just an FYI, there is a company that was at shot show this year that is going to be importing brand new Serbian k98k rifles.

I spoke with them and they are just waiting for arrangements for an importer.  So I would say just be patient for now. The rifles looked amazing.

I offered to import a few for them, but I was told that that decision would need to come from someone further up the chain.

I have a picture of their rifle and it is really nice, but the image hosting. Service I normally use had been down for maintenance for over 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 27Katana:
I have a picture of their rifle and it is really nice, but the image hosting. Service I normally use had been down for maintenance for over 2 weeks.
View Quote

You can upload them here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 27Katana:
Well just an FYI, there is a company that was at shot show this year that is going to be importing brand new Serbian k98k rifles.

I spoke with them and they are just waiting for arrangements for an importer.  So I would say just be patient for now. The rifles looked amazing.

I offered to import a few for them, but I was told that that decision would need to come from someone further up the chain.

View Quote

Did they mention a price?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Ruger Scout is on the M77 action, which is a model 98 clone.

I always thought a cool project would be a military stock set with handguard and barrel bands.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:09:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gremyashchy1911] [#32]
Shamelessly stolen image from IG
Not mine just motivation for the project
Pretty sure it’s the wrong action but just an old rifle made “new”.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:04:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: elmidgeto] [#33]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

View Quote

They're not reproductions. Zastava has been doing FN contract commercial Mauser actions for three quarters of a century from FN tooling and plans.

The nicest are the Interarms Mark X. You can usually find these cheap because no one knows what they are. Remington brought them in for a while as the 798/799. Charles Daly, I think, had the current import contract. The Remington and CD are not as nice as the Interarms.

Husqvarna also put together rifles as the 1600 on FN commercial actions.

Sako and Browning both used the FN commercial Mauser actions for their 3.4" cartridges in the '50s and '60s.

The BRNO 721/722 are well built Czech Mausers.

Stuart Satterlee of Satterlee Arms makes new production actions in 2.8", 3.1", 3.4" and even does, on rare occasions, a modern version of the Granite Mountain magnum action for the big safari cartridges.

I like the Interarms, personally. Inexpensive and quality.

A note, you will need a 'smith familiar with Mausers for the barrel. The Mauser actions has two bearing surfaces, internal and external, on the receiver. Also, the Mauser thread is a witworth, 55°, instead of the usual 60°. Using the wrong thread or not bearing evenly on both surfaces of the action can give you nightmare inducing gremlins.

Good luck, Mausers are a whole other level of OCD.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Go for it op.  I was going to do this at one point.   Still need a barrel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:

They're not reproductions. Zastava has been doing FN contract commercial Mauser actions for three quarters of a century from FN tooling and plans.

View Quote

Zastava produce their first Mauser 98 rifles almost exactly 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:
Charles Daly, I think, had the current import contract. The Remington and CD are not as nice as the Interarms.
View Quote

KBI/Daly imported the true left hand version.  The only "factory" left hand 98 I am aware of.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Tagged

I recently got a sporterized 1903. Now I want one as issued and a more modern precision style one. Well, not that modern. More like a mix of both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LedZeppelin] [#38]
https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/mausingfield-bolt-action-2#attr=196,182,276,262,248

If you're not doing a strict clone, this might save you a lot of gunsmithing work or open up some other options.  M700 footprint trigger and stock, Savage small-shank barrel threads.  60 degree 20tpi, no double-shoulder, etc...

I have one that I have set up for NRL Hunter competitions and it's miles ahead of any Mauser 98 I've handled for fit and feel, and I own a few absolutely pristine Mauser Oberndorf examples.  Not to detract from the skill and workmanship of the old world stuff-- it's mind blowing the quality and scale of manufacturing from the 1900-1950's, especially Czech, German, Swiss, and Swedish stuff (IMO)... but modern manufacturing and materials are better (except maybe the Swiss... They might have done it better back then).

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By LedZeppelin:
https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/mausingfield-bolt-action-2#attr=196,182,276,262,248

If you're not doing a strict clone, this might save you a lot of gunsmithing work or open up some other options.  M700 footprint trigger and stock, Savage small-shank barrel threads.  60 degree 20tpi, no double-shoulder, etc...

I have one that I have set up for NRL Hunter competitions and it's miles ahead of any Mauser 98 I've handled for fit and feel, and I own a few absolutely pristine Mauser Oberndorf examples.  Not to detract from the skill and workmanship of the old world stuff-- it's mind blowing the quality and scale of manufacturing from the 1900-1950's, especially Czech, German, Swiss, and Swedish stuff (IMO)... but modern manufacturing and materials are better (except maybe the Swiss... They might have done it better back then).

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/1710869930973-png.8376562/
View Quote
Did you post a build thread?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Not here but over on Sniper's Hide I believe I had a string of photos of the process.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/i-made-a-stock.7132607/
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LedZeppelin:
Not here but over on Sniper's Hide I believe I had a string of photos of the process.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/i-made-a-stock.7132607/
View Quote
Noice.

Before replacing that barrel, give it a viking funeral via Stangskyting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top